• Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    I was sitting in my car in front of Walmart today. Another guy pulls in beside me. He was apparently doing the same as me, waiting for somebody inside. In a few minutes I see him with his little gun, maybe a Beretta with the tip-up barrel. Maybe Taurus. He is coon-fingering and blowing out the lint for quite a while, and pretty much admiring his little pistol.

It wasn't very much after he put it away when sheriffs came busting in. To make a long story short, they hauled him away, leaving his car. I was asked if I witnessed anyone brandishing a firearm and I answered that I had been sitting there almost an hour and had seen no such thing. Nobody asked me if I saw that he had a gun....... I suppose a soccer mom must have saw him and got insulted by it. I sure as heck didn't call them.

Does just seeing a gun in hand constitute brandishing? I didn't think so. Of course I don't know what charges they actually arrested him for, or even if they took him somewhere to get sorted out and then brought him back. It LOOKED like he was getting jammed-up though. What does everybody think? Is coon-fingering in public an arrestable offense?

Booya

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Aug 26, 2010
    Fort Fun
    If they took him away it likely had to do with something other then the gun. There is no "brandishing" law in IN as far as I know. No license maybe? Outstanding warrants? "just for some questioning"?

snorko

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    364   0   0
    Apr 3, 2008
    Evansville, IN
    I can not speak to the legal definition, but to me brandishing has a threatening connotation. Apparently that agrees with the definition of "wave or flourish (something, esp. a weapon) as a threat or in anger or excitement."

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    You'll, Indiana has no "brandishing".

Could be Pointing a Firearm or Criminal Recklessness.

I could see them trying to say that. It seems a bit harsh for just making a gun visible however. Is there a legal difference between having it hanging on your belt in the open and holding it in your hands? He was inside of his car with the windows up, I can't rationalize that anybody felt threatened.

He could have been a holdup man for all I know, but It looked pretty ugly for what I saw. And I saw everything. The police used the word "brandishing" and it made me curious.

1911ly

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 11, 2011
    South Bend
    I could see them trying to say that. It seems a bit harsh for just making a gun visible however. Is there a legal difference between having it hanging on your belt in the open and holding it in your hands? He was inside of his car with the windows up, I can't rationalize that anybody felt threatened.

He could have been a holdup man for all I know, but It looked pretty ugly for what I saw. And I saw everything. The police used the word "brandishing" and it made me curious.

Windows up still doesn't make what he was doing any safer or smarter. Kirk's comment: "Could be Pointing a Firearm or Criminal Recklessness" sounds spot on to me. Fiddling with a weapon in public is bound to draw attention to your self in this day and age.

lonehoosier

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    28   0   0
    May 3, 2011
    NWI
    So next time I meet up with someone to by a gun in a parking lot I should not check it out first. Just have the seller put the case in the trunk and drive off.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    I was not there and could not comment on how visible he was making his gun to others. I DO NOT want to get into a cc vs oc debate. But this exactly why I don't OC. Any Jack Hole that is aware that you are in possession of a handgun can call the cops, even if they don't feel threatened. Just to screw with you for fun. Even if the cops have common sense and confirm there is no problem you still have to deal with it. And the Jack Hole that called is not going to be held accountable. I don't have time to play with the stupid public, mindless soccer mom's etc...

BGDave

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    207   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    Beech Grove
    Sounds like the coonfingerer (yeah, that's a word) was looking for attention and got it.

Want to play with your "cat killer", maybe hold it a little lower. Or park farther away from the door.

Snapdragon

know-it-all tart
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    36   0   0
    Nov 5, 2013
    NW Indiana
    At the hospital where I volunteer, there was a big hooha a few weeks ago because a lady saw a "man with a gun" in the parking lot. As I suspected, it turns out he was taking his gun off and locking it in the car because the hospital has a "no weapons" policy. :rolleyes:

Long Rider

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 14, 2014
    Franklin
    Few years ago, we had a woman a couple doors down call the police every time I went to the range. Police showed up and I was gone. She said she didn't know who it was, only they were walking around with a gun. She knew me, worked for my wife. Cop who lives in the neighborhood and I figured out what was going on. They finally issued her a ticket for false reports and threatened to arrest her if it happened again. Some people are paranoid

WilsonMD

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jan 31, 2014
    Crown Point
    Brandishing, IMO, means using an item as a means to gain attention. It could have been a gun, knife, or whatever other 'device(s)' he/she wants to display. It doesn't sound like that was the intent. However, I don't think it was a wise choice to choose a public place to indiscreetly admire, inspect, clean, display, or whatever he was doing with the weapon.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Few years ago, we had a woman a couple doors down call the police every time I went to the range. Police showed up and I was gone. She said she didn't know who it was, only they were walking around with a gun. She knew me, worked for my wife. Cop who lives in the neighborhood and I figured out what was going on. They finally issued her a ticket for false reports and threatened to arrest her if it happened again. Some people are paranoid

Or just plain evil. :dunno:

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI
    While idiotic coonfingering isn't in the IC, it should be.

You could run and win the Democrat nomination with that plank in your platform.

Make laws to stop stupidity and next thing they arrest you for resting your hand on your sidearm.

I know, I know... it's for the children.

Please don't suggest new infringements.

2A_Tom

Crotchety old member!
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 27, 2010
    NWI

And that's the way it should be.

Top Bottom