Carrying while running, cycling or just general outdoor exercise.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    With Spring less than a month away, I'm eager to get back out of the house and be active again in an effort to shed my winter flab. To those of you who like to go cycling, running or really anything where a traditional holster wouldn't be ideal (I can't imagine carrying IWB with a pair of basketball shorts on...), what do you guys/gals do? I know they make belly band holsters, how are they for comfort and concealability? Are there better options? I just want to be as comfortable as I can be while also remaining armed when I go for bike rides or runs, both of which may be at odd hours because I'm usually going to bed as the sun rises and don't mind running on dark trails at night...

Thoughts?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I've got an Uncle Mike's "gun runner" fanny pack. It's pretty universal and will hold bigger guns, but while running they tend to make the bag flop around. I carry my LCR, a speed strip, a knife, my badge, and keys with no problem.

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I have a holster fanny pack that I use when I am on the bike, I keep snacks and the like in it, and I OC in a kydex holster strung through the belt. I used to have it inside the fanny pack but it bounced too much and was too slow to deploy with one hand if I should need so I just started OCing.

When it isn't subzero or ice out or raining to beat the band, I ride anywhere from 6-20 miles a day 4-5 days a week.

Lebowski

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Between corn and soybean fields.
    I have a holster fanny pack that I use when I am on the bike, I keep snacks and the like in it, and I OC in a kydex holster strung through the belt. I used to have it inside the fanny pack but it bounced too much and was too slow to deploy with one hand if I should need so I just started OCing.

When it isn't subzero or ice out or raining to beat the band, I ride anywhere from 6-20 miles a day 4-5 days a week.

I guess OCing on a bike would be easier than jogging while OCing. I don't like to run around in pants/shorts that have belt loops or pockets. I keep my housekey in a shoe, don't carry money and don't plan on being gone for more than an hour or two. Though on a bike OCing would be more of a possibility. I just like to cruise around the country side, not going for speed or time or distance. I'll wear shorts with belt loops and pockets for that. I suspect you do the same? How do you OC while riding? (Sorry if it's a dumb or weird question...)

shibumiseeker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    51   0   0
    Nov 11, 2009
    near Bedford on a whole lot of land.
    I guess OCing on a bike would be easier than jogging while OCing. I don't like to run around in pants/shorts that have belt loops or pockets. I keep my housekey in a shoe, don't carry money and don't plan on being gone for more than an hour or two. Though on a bike OCing would be more of a possibility. I just like to cruise around the country side, not going for speed or time or distance. I'll wear shorts with belt loops and pockets for that. I suspect you do the same? How do you OC while riding? (Sorry if it's a dumb or weird question...)

It's strung through the belt on the fanny pack. And I am going for time on my rides, so I am hammering it hard and I barely notice it on my side.

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    Jogging a belly band is what a lot of people recommend but I don't really jog a whole lot to be honest. And if I do go for a run I usually am wearing such little clothing carrying options become very limited. However I do bike quite a bit. For this because of what you wear and things the options open up a lot. If you have a "jersey" there are many pockets for water bottles and things on your back, and you can find some that will fit a little 380 or something in chest zipper pocket…

Some have suggested a fanny pack which is always a good option maybe for jogging too. But lastly on a bike I have a like bag that is underneath my seat that holds a spare inner tube and things incase of a flat in those little skinny tires. And you can easily fit a small pistol in it also (micro 380, maybe 9mm). It would not be fast for presentation, as you would have to be off your bike to get it very quickly. But it is still probably the easiest/best option to have a gun while riding I think.

FireBirdDS

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    May 28, 2012
    Indianapolis, IN
    I guess OCing on a bike would be easier than jogging while OCing... How do you OC while riding? (Sorry if it's a dumb or weird question...)

I just OC out in the open where it's easily accessible. (Monon rider) By the time anyone were to notice it long enough to care, I'm already long gone. (Unless it's another biker keeping pace with me)

Mark 1911

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Schererville, IN
    I do a lot of bicycling. I have tried several different methods of carrying. Through trial and error I have come back to wearing (OC) an OWB belt holster on my bike workout, the same holster that I use for my EDC when I am not exercising. Even though I wear bicycle shorts on the bike, which have no belt loops, I have found that surprisingly enough, the lack of belt loops is not an issue at all. I just put the holstered gun and gun belt on over my workout clothes - "western style" if there is such a term. As long as you are wearing a good quality gun belt, the holster stays put right where you want it. I like the fact that the holster stays on my hip, and I don't have to worry about how to carry it on the bicycle - it simply stays on my person. I like this better than carrying it on the bike somewhere because in the unlikely event that I am separated from my bicycle, then at least I have not been separated from my weapon.

A secondary advantage of the OWB holster on the bike is that it allows for air circulation around the holster, which prevents sweat from condensing on the pistol which can be a problem for other types of holsters when working out.

Last edited:

glockednlocked

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 7, 2008
    Honestly I am not a "runner" runner no marathon man here but that said I think there is a vapor barrier effect of the padding between the pistol pocket and your chest. Have not tried it in extreme heat yet. But feel 90% sure not a problem.

AndersonIN

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 21, 2009
    Anderson, IN
    When running I use a fanny pack...........Biking I usually just use a belt and Fobus holster..........Kayaking I use a tactical drop style to keep it lower than the rim of the opening and won't rub.........Hiking normal OC w/Fobus.

One word of caution that I have come to accept..............I do NOT OC (I usually do otherwise) when on the bike. Now right off the bat I have never heard of it happening and prob. never has happened but I cannot maintain a level of situational awareness as well as what I would like on the bike (you may be able to and that is WONDERFUL). But I often bike to and from work on the same roads in not the best areas, day in and day out at the same times. If someone would see me one day and then wanted to run out from behind a bush or some other cover then next and tackle me blindsided it wouldn't be that hard to do. Hitting the concrete from that high up and on a bike doesn't sound that inviting to me. I know they could do the same if I was walking but I am generally more aware of my surroundings while walking than riding at 15 to 20 mph. Just trying to help out with my thought on the situation!

Good Luck!

Top Bottom