Police captain’s gun stolen from bathroom.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Valvestate

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 11, 2012
    NWI
    The .gov tells us the police are the only ones professional enough to be trusted to carry firearms.

Oh they'd spin that, too. Oh cops aren't professional enough to handle firearms? Then you as a lowly joe citizen definitely aren't.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Why they cannot leave it in the holster is beyond me.

Part of it is that they just want an excuse to play with the pistol to validate that it is real. Or perhaps it is forbidden fruit kind of thing? Oh, yes, I get to wave my gun around in public and do what is forbidden!:dunno:

Leave the stupid pistol in the holster and stop trying to find excuses to coonfinger it in public.

Frank_N_Stein

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    79   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Beech Grove, IN
    The .gov tells us the police are the only ones professional enough to be trusted to carry firearms.

Oh they'd spin that, too. Oh cops aren't professional enough to handle firearms? Then you as a lowly joe citizen definitely aren't.

Why no hate for the student that left his gun in his backpack on campus to be found by someone else? Oh thats right, the "us vs. them" mentality only applies to one side.

https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...defense/275343-iusb_student_busted_ccing.html

LPMan59

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 8, 2009
    South of Heaven

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Frank is right. While this puts poitical points on the board for us against the politicians and should be saved, the lesson here is for those of us that carry a pistol as it could happen LEO or non-LEO.

This lesson is: STOP TAKING YOUR PISTOL OUT OF HOLSTER TO CREATE AN EXCUSE TO PLAY WITH IT.

Stop touching it!

drillsgt

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    108   0   0
    Nov 29, 2009
    Sioux Falls, SD
    Frank is right. While this puts poitical points on the board for us against the politicians and should be saved, the lesson here is for those of us that carry a pistol as it could happen LEO or non-LEO.

This lesson is: STOP TAKING YOUR PISTOL OUT OF HOLSTER TO CREATE AN EXCUSE TO PLAY WITH IT.

Stop touching it!

I've taken mine out before, in some of these stalls they are so narrow that the pistol in the holster is basically sitting on the edge of the stall and if the stall walls are fairly high it's right there for the world to see. It makes me uncomfortable so I put it out of view. I've never left it though I did leave my phone in a Dicks bathroom the other day (just looking I swear, wasn't going to buy anything).

pjt

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2012
    If you go into a stall and find a gun, are you STEALING if you take it with you?
    I think the headline:

Police captain’s gun stolen

Is WAY misleading. In fact, I think it is totally incorrect.
    POLICE CAPTAIN LOSES HIS GUN is much more correct.

Last edited:

TTravis

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 13, 2011
    Plainfield / Mooresville
    If you go into a stall and find a gun, are you STEALING if you take it with you?

What if your intention is good and you are just taking it to Lost and Found? I would think that if it did not look like a crime scene with a dead body or blood trail, it might be prudent to leave it there where a child might find it next. It is not an emergency so there is no reason to call 911. Some people will try to do the right thing and take it and turn it in somewhere safe, like store management, or a local police station.

It's kind of like reaching into someone's car to turn their lights off.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012

Stop touching it!

I lock mine in my desk drawer before going for a sit down affair if I'm at the office. Its not an excuse to play with it, it makes it a lot easier to buckle my belt back up if I don't have a pager, badge, two spare magazines, radio, and pistol weighing it down and pulling the belt out of the loop on the non-buckle side. Its an even bigger pain if you are in uniform and have a duty belt to contend with.

Trying to juggle all that stuff is a good way to end up wondering if its worth it to try and fish your pager out of the toilet. Or so I've heard.

Some thin IWB holsters will also dump your gun on the ground if you leave your belt undone. I always did the "hammock" in those situations early in my concealed carry days.

Top Bottom