• ...and so much more!
  • bigretic

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Jan 14, 2011
    NWI
    Irritating the crap out of me.
    The latest... he's dumping the glock for a gun with a thumb safety so he can finally carry one in the chamber.
    Statement "i'd rather gamble with the thumb saftey than one in the chamber on the glock".
    wtf! can't get through...
    rant over.
    :ar15:

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=bTalnzcO0xk[/ame]

Hand him a jar for the cojones. If he's not going to wear them, at least preserve them in case he wants/needs them later.

Hkfiend

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    56   0   0
    Sep 15, 2011
    in the Ford Galaxy
    My cousin has a friend/coworker that refuses to carry in the chamber. I always give him the finger motion and "this is my safety" (see above clip). Seriously, I tell him he shouldn't even carry a gun if it's not ready to put in action.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Ask him to do some 21' foot drills with you.

He holsters an unloaded gun after both you and him verify its unloaded.

Set up a target about 4' from him and have him face it.

If the target is 12 o' clock, you start out at about the 9 o clock position if he's right handed, 3 if he's left handed, 21' away from him. He should be able to just see you out of his peripheral vision. You are on the opposite side of his draw and he should never sweep you while presenting to dry fire at the target. Once you get used to this drill, and with a little equipment, you can safely step it up and do a head on charge while he tries to dry fire at you, but we'll get to that later in the post.

With no signal, at some point you rush him. Your goal is to touch him before he can unholster and dry fire at the target. His goal is, of course, to rack his pistol and "shoot" the target before you touch him.

If you're willing to invest $15 and are reasonably comfortable with charging him straight on without crashing into him and both of you toppling to the ground, buy a training barrel and let him attempt to draw and rack before you're on top of him while you are rushing him straight on.

TB002 Training Barrel : TRAINING BARREL | Brownells

That's a training barrel. Lets the slide function, etc, but obviously no way for a round to be fired as its just a barrel shaped chunk of yellow plastic.

A good friend of mine, who's also an excellent trainer, set me up with that drill (among others) vs a chalk edged rubber knife. Its a humbling experience and also an eye opener for your equipment and set up for quick draw, firing from the retention position, etc.

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 21, 2011
    The guy must be inexperienced about guns. With familiarity comes confidence. Eventually he will recognize his error. Ask him if he thinks the bullets in the magazine might accidentally go off? Is he afraid to carry several little bombs in a metal container? Why will the one in the tube go off but not the others? The answer is because of your fingers! Keep fingers off the trigger = a safe firearm. He needs confidence in HIMSELF more than in his gun.

BTW Glocks do go off. I have seen it. It's always a finger that does it however. The trigger pull is so smooth that you can stroke the trigger unintentionally...... But only if your finger is on the trigger! Keep the chamber loaded and finger off the trigger.

actaeon277

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Nov 20, 2011
    Merrillville
    Let the guy carry whatever way makes him comfortable, as long as it isn't a danger.
    I carry one in the chamber.
    But I don't care if someone doesn't want to.
    Let the man go in peace.

minuteman32

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Mar 23, 2008
    Central IN
    I had a guy 'let me know' that the hammer was cocked on my 1911 the other day.

I'll carry a Glock, 1911, whatever, the safety is the operator (and a decent holster that covers the trigger).

slowG

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Dec 15, 2010
    The latest... he's dumping the glock for a gun with a thumb safety so he can finally carry one in the chamber.
    Statement "i'd rather gamble with the thumb saftey than one in the chamber on the glock".
    rant over.

I would trust a proper holster any day before I would a safety.

Mattmh3

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Yeoman
    I know a guy that thinks you shouldn't carry one in the chamber. He has his lifetime LTCH but hardly ever carries. Really makes me wonder why he even got his LTCH in the first place.

netsecurity

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Oct 14, 2011
    Hancock County
    Glock owners can be so arrogant. This is one of my biggest peeves in the gun industry. There is nothing wrong with a safety, and there is no need for him to see the err of his ways. If you prefer no safety, fine, but it is a matter of preference.

Shift

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    Bunch of hypocrites. So many of you are irate over the government wanting to control us, yet you want to control how other people carry...

.452browning

Master
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    My buddy doesn't like any handguns without a hammer drop and or a safety. I carry a G17. I keep telling him to ditch those sissy pistols and get himself a Glock. He gets angry everytime. I have no problem with a hammer drop or safety I just like picking on him because he doesn't feel safe with a striker fire/no manual safety.

Keep your bugger hook off the bang switch and use a quality holster and you have no problem.

Paul30

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 16, 2012
    That's why I like a DA/SA auto. I keep one in the chamber, hammer down, just draw and squeeze.

+1 This is my preference. Safer than most options, yet as quick as any other. If you have practiced a DA first shot, it is as accurate too.

Those who carry a glock or other striker fired gun that has the trigger as it's only safety need to be ready to resist the urge to catch it if you drop your gun. If you happen to drop it, don't try to catch it. These guns are designed to safely hit the ground without firing, but if you try to catch it you might just catch it by the trigger. We all treat them safe and it's rare to drop one, but stuff happens.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Glock owners can be so arrogant. This is one of my biggest peeves in the gun industry. There is nothing wrong with a safety, and there is no need for him to see the err of his ways. If you prefer no safety, fine, but it is a matter of preference.

This isn't about whether or not the firearm should or should not have a safety. It's about some who thinks a Glock is inherently unsafe and creates an irresponsible reliance on a mechanical device to do what he is responsible for.

Bunch of hypocrites. So many of you are irate over the government wanting to control us, yet you want to control how other people carry...

No. I don't see anybody looking to have Congress pass a law to require people to carry in the chamber. Trying to convince a friend that his choice creates a potential safety issue--ironic since safety seems to be said friend's concern in the first place--isn't forcing him to do something he doesn't want to do. Trying to convince him that his logic isn't logical is being a good friend. HOW one does that may be up for debate, but wouldn't you try to get a friend to do something differently if his current choice created a larger risk for himself?

Leo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 3, 2011
    Lafayette, IN
    As mentioned by at least two posters, a chambered glock carried through the activities of daily life depends on a properly designed, quality holster. I was close enough to be sprayed with gravel when someone reholstering a glock hung the trigger on the edge of the holster. I fully assign ultimate blame to user error, but a poorly designed "golly gee wizz tacticool" holster did not help. Luckily in this case no one needed medical attention.

Everyone needs to know his limits. If a chambered round is outside that mans limits, let him be. Even if he is not ready for a quick draw type event, he is still better prepared than an unarmed person.

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    rant over.

A buddy of mine doesn't carry chambered. He said "the sound of racking the slide will scare them." To each his own.

Ask your friends to rack their guns one-handed.

Then, as they struggle, ask them to be able to predict the future so they could know to chamber a round before they had their hands full or get injured somehow.

Top Bottom