Any rock climbers able to offer some advice?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I am having a climbing wall built in our back yard. 16' tall with two 6' walls connecting at a 90 degree outer angle.

I need to decide which wall holds to use. I need something easy and something harder. Do I need to really specific with the type of holds? There will be a 15 degree slope portion too.

https://www.atomikclimbingholds.com/108-great-climbing-holds - big pack seems to have some variety

https://www.atomikclimbingholds.com/40-pack-variety-climbing-holds - pack for kids

Any advice appreciated!

JollyMon

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2012
    Westfield, IN
    Just get the first big bulk pack. There should be enough large ones for the kiddos with good grips. Kids are amazing and shouldn't need any specific ones. The challenge in bouldering comes more from the size/location of the holds, instead of what the actual holds are.

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    I already have over-the-shoulder harnesses for the zip line and an adult harness. I'll have a ground anchor for belaying the climber. Plans are to be very safe.

i'm sure the kids will do much better than me :):

i wanted to work on upper body strength and figured this would be a great way. Also to work on the wall traverse for the Spartan race

here's the rear view

chezuki

Human
    Rating - 100%
    48   0   0
    Mar 18, 2009
    Behind Bars
    C'mon Doc... Hand holds are for p******. Scale that **** like Spider-Man or GTFO of here with that half-assery and can't-do attitude. Have you learned nothing from crossfit??

hoosierdoc

Freed prisoner
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Apr 27, 2011
    Galt's Gulch
    OUCH!

Not it sure he thought he would exit that climb at the top. That had to have broken a few things

I did try to scale the 8' portion and failed miserably. Sad because that is an obstacle in the Spartan race

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    start with big chunky grips. As everyone gets better, the smaller ones come into play. All of the walls I have seen use tee nuts on the backside of the board. Then you just bolt on whatever grip you want to use that day.

Edit: to answer the actual question, skip the kids grips. the big pack has what the kids need in it. Buy once, cry once.

Its been a few years... (I couldnt begin to do that 20 years on...)
    -%200028.JPG

maansmit

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Aug 12, 2014
    Greenfield
    I am having a climbing wall built in our back yard. 16' tall with two 6' walls connecting at a 90 degree outer angle.

I need to decide which wall holds to use. I need something easy and something harder. Do I need to really specific with the type of holds? There will be a 15 degree slope portion too.

https://www.atomikclimbingholds.com/108-great-climbing-holds - big pack seems to have some variety

https://www.atomikclimbingholds.com/40-pack-variety-climbing-holds - pack for kids

Any advice appreciated!

Get a good umbrella insurance policy?

femurphy77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    30   0   0
    Mar 5, 2009
    S.E. of disorder
    An interesting side note to this conversation; I was at an auction last month and they had 15 or 20 bowling balls sitting there. A couple of guys were there together and won the bowling balls for $1/ea. They seemed very pleased with their purchase so I just had to ask and they said they cut them up and use them to build climbing walls! In cameramonkey's picture above it appears that there is part of a red bowling ball attached the wall in the right side of the photo.

Whodathunkit!?

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    An interesting side note to this conversation; I was at an auction last month and they had 15 or 20 bowling balls sitting there. A couple of guys were there together and won the bowling balls for $1/ea. They seemed very pleased with their purchase so I just had to ask and they said they cut them up and use them to build climbing walls! In cameramonkey's picture above it appears that there is part of a red bowling ball attached the wall in the right side of the photo.

Whodathunkit!?

Negative, Ghostrider. That was a purpose built handhold just like the rest. If you look closely, you will see a grip pocket facing the camera.

Top Bottom