• ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    This is surprising how?

WWP, along with many charities do a lot of good with the money they raise....and provide lavish lifestyles for those who are at the top of the organization. They benefit from the lizard brain "who could be against vets" so people buy and buy and buy the products with their logo on it, and give, seldom asking where the money goes because "if I wear WWP stuff I look like I care." Brilliant marketing.

Maybe it doesn't matter because they are supporting important services that, perhaps, otherwise would not get funding.

I would note that the CEO of WWP is not shy about promoting the idea that charities should spend more on overhead and should provide executive compensation that is comparable to private sector CEOs. He is a board member for an organtization that promotes those things.

http://charitydefensecouncil.org/leadership/advisory-board/

http://charitydefensecouncil.org/our-mission/

Maybe they're right, but it's certainly something people should consider when donating.

Last edited:

Tactically Fat

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Oct 8, 2014
    Indiana
    WWP ... do a lot of good with the money they raise...

Maybe. Charity Navigator Rating - Wounded Warrior Project

They're rather well known for NOT doing much good. 342 MILLION dollars in revenue. That's tremendous. Yet 248 MILLION in "expenses". 72.5 % of revenues go towards "expenses". That leaves only 27.5% going towards their stated goals and purposes. IMO, that's pitiful.

Alpo

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 23, 2014
    Indy Metro Area
    I may have read it wrong, but it looked like WWP spent 60% on vet programs and 40% on admin expenses and fundraising. That's still terrible, but not as bad as you indicate.

In comparison, the United Way spends 10% on admin and fundraising. Lots of volunteer time, however.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Apparently the CEO makes over 475k a year as well. Not including of course everything he gets to 'expense' during the year. I was just listening to a Planet Money bit about how well paid 'non-profit' executives are. Pretty despicable. I understand they run big organizations but part of being a charity, I think, would lend itself to modest salaries.

I'd also point out that it's despicable to validate your salary comparing it to private sector CEO's. They went into it to make money and they pay taxes for that right. Charities, supposedly, get into it to help people.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    It depends a lot on what categories certain things are put in. I will reiterate that perhaps whatever percentage it is, at least it's money that otherwise may not have been given (though that is in doubt).

I moderated my earlier post, but heck, here goes. WWP sells ease of mind and self-satisfaction to the people who give and buy their branded products. They sell "goodwill" to their corporate sponsors so they can look like they care as well. The founders/executives make a lot of money and make sure enough money makes it into services to avoid strong scrutiny and to protect their brand. Make no mistake, this is about keeping the money coming in, so they HAVE to get a "respectable" amount to the people in need.

...and if you think WWP is a windfall for its executives, you ought to look at some breast cancer charities. Again, the "lizard brain" rules: "who could be against Moms?"

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Apparently the CEO makes over 475k a year as well. Not including of course everything he gets to 'expense' during the year. I was just listening to a Planet Money bit about how well paid 'non-profit' executives are. Pretty despicable. I understand they run big organizations but part of being a charity, I think, would lend itself to modest salaries.

I'd also point out that it's despicable to validate your salary comparing it to private sector CEO's. They went into it to make money and they pay taxes for that right. Charities, supposedly, get into it to help people.

If you want a lavish lifestyle, you need to work in finance or other private sector position. Non profits shouldnt have big salaries for the management. Not saying they should be volunteer only, but damn. Thats too damned much.

Same for clergy. These megachurch pastors driving new luxury cars and instead of a parsonage its a 7,000sqft mansion. Despicable.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    It depends a lot on what categories certain things are put in. I will reiterate that perhaps whatever percentage it is, at least it's money that otherwise may not have been given (though that is in doubt).

I moderated my earlier post, but heck, here goes. WWP sells ease of mind and self-satisfaction to the people who give and buy their branded products. They sell "goodwill" to their corporate sponsors so they can look like they care as well. The founders/executives make a lot of money and make sure enough money makes it into services to avoid strong scrutiny and to protect their brand. Make no mistake, this is about keeping the money coming in, so they HAVE to get a "respectable" amount to the people in need.

...and if you think WWP is a windfall for its executives, you ought to look at some breast cancer charities. Again, the "lizard brain" rules: "who could be against Moms?"

I don't think anyone discounts that there are a lot of charities with over paid executives, this thread just happens to be about Wounded Warriors.

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Here's one that gets my $$.
    Mission 22

Not a fan of WWP

Bob

It really feels like a catch 22 because the charities who do the best and spend the most helping people don't tend to spend as much on self promotion and advertising. Where if they spent the money needed to become well known they wouldn't be spending as much on helping people.

Indy-Mike

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jul 5, 2013
    Carmel
    I'll agree that a lot of charities have similar pay for the executives, similar rates for expenses. That's why you have to do your homework when making donations. There are charities that do better and provide more services per dollar then others. Companies and people shouldn't only donated to show they care or feel good, but have the expectation that the money donated helps someone besides the employees of the charity.

WWP just seems get mentioned here a lot as there are lot of vets here, and I seen several fundraiser for them during shooting matches.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I once heard a saying from somewhere that could be applied to wearing charity "branded" clothing and bracelets and such. Don't know where it comes from, but it makes sense to me:

when you give to the needy, sound no trumpet before you, as the hypocrites do in the synagogues and in the streets, that they may be praised by others. Truly, I say to you, they have received their reward. But when you give to the needy, do not let your left hand know what your right hand is doing,so that your giving may be in secret. And your Father who sees in secret will reward you.

CHCRandy

Master
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 16, 2013
    Hendricks County

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    I like the Nature Conservancy.....I remember in the late 80's when I was a little green that I wanted to do something to preserve that which I love...Out of all of the so called "Green Nature Loving Hippie" organizations out there, the Nature Conservancy had the highest percentage of funding going to the cause. That cause was identifying scarce plots of land and buying them up so the public can enjoy them....I even did some volunteer work with them...They were the only group that would allow hunting on their property as long as the hunting would not damage what they were trying to preserve.....

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Interesting to compare the 2 tax returns between United Way and WWP. I didn't realize WWP was that much larger than United Way....but yet the United Way boss makes 3 times as much on 1/3 the revenue. Tell me I read that wrong.....please.

https://www.woundedwarriorproject.org/media/579212/wwp_2012-2013_form_990.pdf

http://s3.amazonaws.com/uww.assets/..._Form_990_(2014_-_Public_Disclosure_Copy).pdf

It's still higher at United way but you posted the 2012 wounded warriors, ceo salary has shot up over 100k since then. You know inflation and stuff...

1775usmarine

Sleeper
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 15, 2013
    IN
    When I seen WWP start gaining more steame towards the end of my enlistment my gut told me they were a scam.

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    GlockFrenzy
    Top Bottom