• ...and so much more!
  • steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Study links pesticide exposure in pregnancy to autism | Reuters

This is an interesting study. California publishes data each year tracking the locations and types of chemicals used on crops. Researchers studied the incidence of autism and developmental delays relative to the mother's proximity to these chemicals and found some pretty solid correlations.

Children of mothers exposed to organophosphates were 60 percent more likely to have an ASD than children of non-exposed mothers, the authors report in Environmental Health Perspectives.

This is not the first study showing this correlation, but it did further solidify the data.

Full study is available here:

http://ehp.niehs.nih.gov/wp-content/uploads/advpub/2014/6/ehp.1307044.pdf

Results: Approximately one-third of CHARGE Study mothers lived, during pregnancy, within 1.5km (just under one mile) of an agricultural pesticide application. Proximity to
    organophosphates at some point during gestation was associated with a 60% increased risk for
    ASD, higher for 3rd trimester exposures [OR = 2.0, 95% confidence interval (CI) = (1.1, 3.6)],
    and 2nd trimester chlorpyrifos applications: OR = 3.3 [95% CI = (1.5, 7.4)].

Organophosphates seemed to be the most commonly used type of pesticide, as well as the most dangerous.

I suspect that the particular formulation mostly to blame is commonly known as Roundup. As of 2010, roundup ready crops accounted for 90 of the soybeans and 70% of the cotton and corn grown in the U.S. (source) And farmers who purchase roundup ready seeds are contractually obligated to use only roundup pesticides on them. It is the top selling pesticide worldwide, and is an organophosphate.

Mr Evilwrench

Quantum Mechanic
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 18, 2011
    Carmel
    Our black lab ate a bottle of roundup. Fortunately, she's been sterilized, but she's stupider than a sack of hammers anyway.

eldirector

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Apr 29, 2009
    Brownsburg, IN
    The article is a bit misleading. They SAY pesticides, but the study specifically mentions organophosphates, which can be used in both pesticides and herbicides (Roundup being an example). The study also mentions a few other compounds common in both.

Once again, it pays to use correct terminology, so folks know what is actually being discussed. Unless, of course, the misleading language is intentional.

Maybe a summary? Stuff that kills stuff may also hurt other stuff.

Still interested to see how the study controlled for other factors, and (of course) who funded it.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I think Roundup is a herbicide not a pesticide

The article is a bit misleading. They SAY pesticides, but the study specifically mentions organophosphates, which can be used in both pesticides and herbicides (Roundup being an example). The study also mentions a few other compounds common in both.

The term 'pesticides' can encompass both herbicides and insecticides.

Pesticide | Define Pesticide at Dictionary.com
    noun
    a chemical preparation for destroying plant, fungal, or animal pests.

I think it is fairly clear, if you read the actual study, that this is how they used the term.

Once again, it pays to use correct terminology, so folks know what is actually being discussed. Unless, of course, the misleading language is intentional.

The terminology is correct. I linked the actual study as well, if you want to read more.

Still interested to see how the study controlled for other factors

Hard to summarize this, you'd have to read the research. But I found it to be a rather well-controlled study.

and (of course) who funded it.

The funding was spelled out right at the beginning:

This work was supported by grants from: NIEHS R01 ES015359, NIEHS P01 ES11269, EPA STAR #R829388 and R833292, The UC Davis Division of Graduate Studies and
    the UC Davis MIND Institute.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    ...of course the re-defining of autism to encompass several more behaviors and elevated awareness has nothing to do with the "increase".

Obviously it is valuable to study what may be causing harm and if the science is good, to do something about it. My only point is that comparing autism rates 20 years ago to those now is as worthless as comparing apples and lizards.

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Obviously it is valuable to study what may be causing harm and if the science is good, to do something about it. My only point is that comparing autism rates 20 years ago to those now is as worthless as comparing apples and lizards.

Who are you talking to?

No one has presented any statistics of that nature in this thread.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    All of this Autism research is very interesting to me. Now that we are more aware of the condition and have come up with some more reliable ways of diagnosing this, I'm going to be very interested in seeing how all of this pans out.

Maybe by the time my children are ready to have kids we'll have a better handle on this.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Who are you talking to?

No one has presented any statistics of that nature in this thread.

Are you saying that nothing in the linked articles or other's comments touches upon the new-truism that "autism rates are so much higher than they used to be"? They may be, but until I see a statistical correction factor that takes into account the differences in how diagnoses are made now versus in the past, how autism is defined versus in the past, and school and other professionals as well as parents being more highly aware, versus in the past, I can not conclude that problem is increasing or is an "epidemic".

Last edited:

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Are you saying that nothing in the linked articles or other's comments touches upon the new-truism that "autism rates are so much higher than they used to be"? They may be, but until I see a statistical correction factor that takes into account the differences in how diagnoses are made now versus in the past, how autism is defined versus in the past, and school and other professionals as well as parents being more highly aware, versus in the past, I can not conclude that problem is increasing or is an "epidemic".

I saw nothing about it in the article and it is not really relevant to this thread. Regardless of its changing rate of incidence, it is a large problem and appears to be linked in some way to the way we produce our food. Or the way Monsanto produces it, in particular. I think this is important and useful information, don't you?

Whether autism is actually on the rise is debatable, and I have no solid statistics pointing one way or another. It is my rather well-informed opinion that the incidence of autism (according to its currently broad definition) is increasing, but I have little interest in debating it.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    There's also a direct correlation between diet and being "special needs". Look at the garbage we feed our kids with artificial colors, HFCS, and other poisons and start wondering what THAT is doing to them.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    I don't know, I ate the same crap or worse growing up in the '80s. We had BPA plastic back then too.

I literally lived next to a corn field, so I got a good dose of all the insecticides and pesticides they used back then.

We've probably got at least 10 years of good data now. I'm interested to see what the next 10 years shows.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    So are we over the "vaccines cause autism" fad now?

I never claimed that they did.

Thimerosal might have played a role, and the cdc did their best to cover it up.

I think we will continue to find out about more and more chemicals that damage a developing brain the more we overuse them.

Mad Macs

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jul 3, 2011
    Plainfield, IN
    I don't know, I ate the same crap or worse growing up in the '80s. We had BPA plastic back then too.

I literally lived next to a corn field, so I got a good dose of all the insecticides and pesticides they used back then.

We've probably got at least 10 years of good data now. I'm interested to see what the next 10 years shows.

You didn't consume the amount of artificial coloring back then nor the amount of HFCS either.

ATOMonkey

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Plainfield
    You didn't consume the amount of artificial coloring back then nor the amount of HFCS either.

I might challege that too. Coke had already switched to HFCS by the time I started drinking it. There also weren't any options to even avoid it back then. I ate bologna and hot dogs on white bread, drank kool-aid and coke, and ate candy that I'm sure was horrible for me too. The fruit and veggies I had were probably covered in pesticides.

I'm just saying that the "good old days" were rarely ever as good as we remember and were likely worse.

Top Bottom