• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • 88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Our insurance paid nothing for any of our daughter's care due to autism...I am not saying that people won't try to scam them one day but our experiance has shown that when it comes to autism there is no fraud because the insurance companies are not paying for anything we have had done....We were able to get our daughter into preschool one year earlier so I guess that was an example where her autism helped us a little.....

I wear it as a badge of honor but if she was normal and a 4.0 average I would probably be just as proud...Maybe....
    Not nearly as much on the insurance side of things. Milking it was more of what I had in mind. More opportunities for benefitting from the largesse of others.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    It's comical to see the people who don't experience and live with liars, cheaters, and manipulators on a regular basis comment on the fact that nobody would use autism to their benefit. The number may be small, but medical fraud is rampant and it's ludicrous to believe that there aren't diagnoses for autism because the parent perceives a benefit from it.

Moreover, I'd have to agree with VJ that there is a subset of families dealing with autism that wear that fact as a badge of honor.

Please share what benefits people are receiving having "achieved" the autism diagnosis and what the badge of autism entails.

I eagerly await your well informed response. [/purple]

indiucky

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0

I didn't call you ignorant. I said that you choose to remain ignorant, although I should have said that you choose to remain ignorant on this subject... because that is what you said. You said you don't care. Right?

A child with fetal alcohol syndrome may be perfect to his or her parents as well. Does that mean we should not try to avoid poisoning our unborn children with large amounts of alcohol?

Every child is a blessing. That doesn't mean we shouldn't try to avoid damaging them.

Okay then...We will try harder next time to not "damage" our child.......To compare a child born with autism to a child damagaged by alcohol poisoning is just really kind of.....I mean don't you think that's a little "Apples to Oranges"????

I am not ignorant when it comes to Autism...I have read Jenny McCarthy's work (and will read Robert Kennedy Jr's "blame it on vaccines" book when it comes out) and saw it for what it was...A beautiful woman has a child with a succesful actor and the child is not perfect so naturally there must be an evil coorporation that is causing it....

I don't think you are choosing to remain ignorant (about autism) because you are led by the nose by celebrities.....You are still trying to avoid the fate of having a a child with autism and I am telling you if it happens to "man up" and enjoy the ride instead of going the Playboy Bunny route....She can get away with being that obtuse due to looks...Kennedy can because of his last name...You may not have that luxury...Look...Everything I am telling you will make more sense in ten years....I remember when I found out I was wrong about a few things and I too got all bent out of shape and called those who disagreed with me "ignorant" or "Head in the sand" or whatever....Trust me you will grow out of it...Life will do that to you....

I have studied this subject and lived with it for ten years so either you don't know what "Ignorant" means or you are just trying to be mean spirited to someone who is trying to teach you a little something about autism......

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Okay then...We will try harder next time to not "damage" our child.......To compare a child born with autism to a child damagaged by alcohol poisoning is just really kind of.....I mean don't you think that's a little "Apples to Oranges"????

No. It's a perfect comparison.

People haven't always known that alcohol during pregnancy could be damaging. Now that we know that it is, would you want your wife to consume large quantities of alcohol during her pregnancy?

People haven't always known that exposure to these pesticides during pregnancy could be damaging. If this study is correct, wouldn't you want to limit your unborn child's exposure to these pesticides to avoid such damage?

I am not ignorant when it comes to Autism...I have read Jenny McCarthy's work (and will read Robert Kennedy Jr's "blame it on vaccines" book when it comes out) and saw it for what it was...A beautiful woman has a child with a succesful actor and the child is not perfect so naturally there must be an evil coorporation that is causing it....

I don't think you are choosing to remain ignorant (about autism) because you are led by the nose by celebrities.....You are still trying to avoid the fate of having a a child with autism and I am telling you if it happens to "man up" and enjoy the ride instead of going the Playboy Bunny route....She can get away with being that obtuse due to looks...Kennedy can because of his last name...You may not have that luxury...Look...Everything I am telling you will make more sense in ten years....I remember when I found out I was wrong about a few things and I too got all bent out of shape and called those who disagreed with me "ignorant" or "Head in the sand" or whatever....Trust me you will grow out of it...Life will do that to you....I have studied this subject and lived with it for ten years so either you don't know what "Ignorant" means or you are just trying to be mean spirited to someone who is trying to teach you a little something about autism......

What the heck are you talking about, man? I'm pretty much done having kids, as far as I know. I never have and never will read or quote Jenny McCarthy and I don't know who Robert Kennedy Jr. is.

I have never even heard of a celebrity talking about pesticides and autism.

I showed you legitimate, peer-reviewed research indicating that this stuff may be poisoning children. If you think it's wrong, then let's hear your rebuttal to it. If you don't care then don't be upset when I point out that you're choosing to remain ignorant on the subject.

Some people do care about limiting their child's exposure to poison.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy

Woiw-

This is the last argument I'd ever make for saying I understand autism....a book by a celebrity who later said her sone was "cured", right?

smh

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    I don't know the answer...........so will ask the question, since some schools push for more gov $ by declaring students "special needs".
    Does autism fall under that or a different classification?

Do know "special needs" isn't just about funding, the school programs for them differ from the general pop.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    So....................exposure to certain chemicals can be damaging to the unborn.
    Does such exposure always cause damage?
    What other things could be contributors (increase or reduce risks)?

IU Women's Health told us yrs ago that a lot of genetic issues come from southern IN, specifically the mining areas.
    Did not go into detail about the cause............is it mostly due to genetics, or chemicals, or if there's some combination of those (and other?) that cause the higher abnormality rates?

Lots of study....................tough gig to try and find answers with so many variables and inputs.

Last edited:

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    I never claimed that they did.

Thimerosal might have played a role, and the cdc did their best to cover it up.

I think we will continue to find out about more and more chemicals that damage a developing brain the more we overuse them.

That wasn't targeted at you individually. (Note the collective "we" in my question, meaning popular culture in general.)

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Please share what benefits people are receiving having "achieved" the autism diagnosis and what the badge of autism entails.

I eagerly await your well informed response. [/purple]

Disability checks from the government.

Excusing antisocial behavior at school.

Leniency from the courts.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    I don't know the answer...........so will ask the question, since some schools push for more gov $ by declaring students "special needs".
    Does autism fall under that or a different classification?

Do know "special needs" isn't just about funding, the school programs for them differ from the general pop.

It can classify as special needs in schools.

So....................exposure to certain chemicals can be damaging to the unborn.
    Does such exposure always cause damage?
    What other things could be contributors (increase or reduce risks)?

No, it does not always cause damage.

Hopefully other contributors will be exposed as research continues.

That wasn't targeted at you individually. (Note the collective "we" in my question, meaning popular culture in general.)

Ok.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Those who deal first hand with autism make no.assertion that there are "gains" to be made for having a child that meets the criteria necessary for a development disorder nor do they call it is a disease.

That's for starters...

LoL. Idk where to start. First of all disorders are a subset of disease. So whatever. Play word games if you want. There are always secondary gains to be made from things. Just because one suffers or stresses does not mean anything. There are secondary gains to be had and I assure you that there are those who seek them whether consciously or subconsciously. Your position is naive and ignorant of human behavior. I expect you are having difficulty with the "gray area." You think either everyone does or everyone doesn't. You don't allow for any result in between the black and white.

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    Is this a serious response or are you just trying to be cute? It's ignorant at best and actually more insulting than anything.
    Are you denying that there aren't people who don't benefit in those ways or that they don't embrace an autism diagnosis because of it?

cce1302

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    Back down south
    Is this a serious response or are you just trying to be cute? It's ignorant at best and actually more insulting than anything.

Which of the three do you deny?

Before you call me out, you ought to know I'm a therapist for juvenile delinquents and their families and have personally observed all three taking place.

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    LoL. Idk where to start. First of all disorders are a subset of disease. So whatever. Play word games if you want.

Not a word game. Just fact.

There are always secondary gains to be made from things. Just because one suffers or stresses does not mean anything. There are secondary gains to be had and I assure you that there are those who seek them whether consciously or subconsciously. Your position is naive and ignorant of human behavior. I expect you are having difficulty with the "gray area." You think either everyone does or everyone doesn't. You don't allow for any result in between the black and white.

There are secondary gains to be made from "things" but it depends on what "things" we're talking about. A medical diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder is not one of those "things" and only shows how uneducated you are on the matter.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have yet to understand what real gains there are to be had socially, financially, or any other combination thereof that makes it of any benefit to have a child diagnosed with special needs over that of a "normal" child in terms of development. The next family that I meet that gets a disability check for their child with autism will be my first. Between juggling appointments for speech/occupational therapy (for those who do get it outside of the school) means parents have a harder time having both parents working, so if anything, it's most often a loss of income to the household should one parent not be able to work. I've spend thousands of dollars paying for things to provide for my child's safety at home. How much does the government pay for something like that? Not a dime. So once again, please tell me the benefits I should be reaping and how I can receive such payouts that you allude to are available. You seem to be so educated about such matters that I should somehow turn this autism thing into a money maker.

steveh_131

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Porter County
    Fraudulent claims probably do exist.

I would say that they are rare. Autism diagnoses are surprisingly difficult to obtain, contrary to popular belief. And once you have it, disability checks are small and also difficult
    to get. I can think of no other financial benefits, at least in Indiana.

Are we pretty much in agreement that this discussion has no bearing on the research presented?

forgop

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 29, 2012
    Southeast Indy
    Which of the three do you deny?

Before you call me out, you ought to know I'm a therapist for juvenile delinquents and their families and have personally observed all three taking place.

A therapist eh? So what-it still doesn't mean you know jack squat about it. Judging from your assertion that the benefits you cited are indeed "benefits", I rest my case.

ViperJock

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Feb 28, 2011
    Fort Wayne-ish
    Not a word game. Just fact.

There are secondary gains to be made from "things" but it depends on what "things" we're talking about. A medical diagnosis of autism spectrum disorder is not one of those "things" and only shows how uneducated you are on the matter.

I cannot speak for anyone else, but I have yet to understand what real gains there are to be had socially, financially, or any other combination thereof that makes it of any benefit to have a child diagnosed with special needs over that of a "normal" child in terms of development. The next family that I meet that gets a disability check for their child with autism will be my first. Between juggling appointments for speech/occupational therapy (for those who do get it outside of the school) means parents have a harder time having both parents working, so if anything, it's most often a loss of income to the household should one parent not be able to work. I've spend thousands of dollars paying for things to provide for my child's safety at home. How much does the government pay for something like that? Not a dime. So once again, please tell me the benefits I should be reaping and how I can receive such payouts that you allude to are available. You seem to be so educated about such matters that I should somehow turn this autism thing into a money maker.

ok. I finally see where you are going with this. You are clearly more intelligent and more educated about this topic than, well you know, everyone else. Go ahead and give yourself a pat on the back. Make sure your friends know that you sure told us. This whole thing should give you at least a temporary sense of righteous indignation which you can pander into a self esteem boost. Nope, no secondary gains to be had here. I stand corrected.

Top Bottom