First time listening to NPR... disgusted.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    EDIT: This was a localy produced segment from WFI radio.

The're running a segment with guest panelists, including former Indiana Cheif Justice and also Attorney General Greg Zoellor (sp). They are discussing a Constitutional Convention and they are floating the idea that a deal could be reached by "horse trading" a balanced budget in exhange for limits on the 2nd Amendment.

These guys are clueless.

Last edited:

Bobby

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 14, 2008
    Muncie/New Castle

The're running a segment with guest panelists, including former Indiana Cheif Justice and also Attorney General Greg Zoellor (sp). They are discussing a Constitutional Convention and they are floating the idea that a deal could be reached by "horse trading" a balanced budget in exhange for limits on the 2nd Amendment.

These guys are clueless.

THIS is exactly I can't stand talk of calling for a convention to discuss adding BBA. Remember, when our first constitutional convention was called, it was only supposed to address trade between the states. We went from the Articles of Confederation to the US Constitution in that convention. What would emerge under this political climate if a convention was called?

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    NPR is an acquired taste. :)

I like it to get an idea what the "other side" thinks is important. Having said that, I don't tune in as much as I used to.

Hexlobular

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 16, 2014
    SWI
    I like NPR. They play the best bump music between segments.

Heh, they do; it's louder than the talk so it's really loud, too. That's funny you mention it.

I like NPR. They talk about what people are saying regardless of if you're pro or con on the subject. It is what it is, from what I've heard from them. I'd rather hear something I don't agree with than not know what people are talking about. I personally don't think they're being biased, but YMMV. I listen every morning on the way to work.

churchmouse

I still care....Really
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    187   0   0
    Dec 7, 2011
    Speedway area

These guys are clueless.

No...they are reaching, grasping.

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    I listen to Wait Wait Don't Tell Me. I love that show.That's about it.

I used to listen to Car Talk but now it's all reruns. I can get 3 hrs of reruns on XM Monday-Friday, twice a day.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    Don't be disgusted!

NPR is fabulous!

It's so fabulous that it employs the power if the state to ensure you support it financially whether you find it disgusting or not.

Ah...screw it...be disgusted if you want. It doesn't matter. NPR still has the power of the state to ensure you support it financially.

Thank God for controlled markets and state financed media!

Jludo

Master
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 14, 2013
    Indianapolis
    I enjoy it, what else am I supposed to listen to on the radio? They do interesting stories. I prefer learning, even if slightly liberally skewed, to limbaugh or hannity yelling about the same old **** day in and day out.

Henry

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 18, 2014
    Athome
    I enjoy it, what else am I supposed to listen to on the radio? They do interesting stories. I prefer learning, even if slightly liberally skewed, to limbaugh or hannity yelling about the same old **** day in and day out.

What about ESPN sports radio? LOL!

I tossed it out some time ago...use the drive time now for unabridged "books on tape" or "books on some electronic device or medium...podcast, cd, tape, etc etc".

Common Sense was last week...no editorial commentary, no commercials.

K_W

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Aug 14, 2008
    Indy / Carmel
    Why it was disgusting is a former Indiana Supreme Court judge and the current Indiana Attorney General (Republican no less) both not laying the smack down when the other panelists proposed infringing on citizens constitutional rights in exchange for the government doing the job it's supposed to be doing in the first place.

ModernGunner

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 29, 2010
    NWI
    Talk radio puts me to sleep in about 90 seconds. Kinda 'bad' when on the Interstate (or driving on any other road!).

Have XM, CD, and a thumb drive with 20,000+ songs on it.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I listen to NPR for much of the day. I love Diane Rehm in the morning for her first show which is mostly political, her second hour is sometimes OK.

The BBC is a great hour to catch up on worldwide news without the American perspective on things.

The biggest issue with NPR is that they don't get emotional about the story, most of the time. They report and depending upon how breaking it is do further in depth coverage. However, they don't rant and rave about how good or bad something is.

Most of their liberal side comes through not on the story but rather in their premises they use in a question. For example, in a question they may well presume government has the authority to do such-and-so whereas we would differ with that premise.

On gun control issues I must say they DO try to be fair as I have oftentimes heard that they invited the NRA to take part in a panel and it is the NRA that has refused.

Just this morning I heard part of a debate on laws that regulate how often truck drivers are required to sleep. Diane had a guy on from the business side, a guy on from a group against tired truck drivers being forced to drive, a professor on who specialized in the need for sleep, and a reporter from the AP who covered transportation issues. It was a good panel and the two (2) guys from opposite sides got rather feisty with each other on a topic, but I was loading a client and didn't catch the whole thing.

On Fridays Diane has two (2) hours of the weeks news with the first hour being domestic and the second hour being world.

Car Talk is awesome. I think having those two (2) guys as my mechanic would be the best thing in the world. They could give a person a $1,000 repair bill and make them happy at the same time.

I don't really care for Terry Gross. She covers entertainment people and that just doesn't interest me much. That said, on occasion she has had someone on that was very interesting to listen to.

I loved the time reporters on NPR were talking about a story that was discussing how thin skinned President Obama can be. A guy called in very mad that they were attacking the President in such a way. They didn't know him and shouldn't be disrespecting him like that.

In response, one of the reporters explained that he HAD directly met with the President on several occasions, personally interviewed him, knew him, had access to the White House and EVERYONE there on staff knew the President could be thin skinned at times. They weren't attacking him, just discussing a personality quirk of the Presidents that was common knowledge. That was funny.

If you are looking for good coverage of stories I would recommend NPR. If you are looking for an attack on stories it isn't that.

Regards,

Doug

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish
    I like Science Friday with Ira Flatow.

But the reason might be that I'm usually on my way home from the last work day of the week when I'm listening to it.

Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Let me go to the whiteboard in the office.

man_whiteboard.jpg

Ok, now I'm ready. So, you heard some left-wing drivel on the flagship of left-wing drivel?

And you are upset at that?

Isn't that like going into the bear woods and being upset that you see a bear??? Or, like listening to Alex Jones and being upset that you are hearing about chemtrails???

cobber

Parrot Daddy
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    44   0   0
    Sep 14, 2011
    Somewhere over the rainbow

These guys are clueless.

How about they balance the budget in exchange for selling their wives and daughters into slavery?

NPR is an acquired taste.
    smile.png

I like it to get an idea what the "other side" thinks is important. Having said that, I don't tune in as much as I used to.

Like stinky tofu. If you can get past the overwhelming urge to vomit the first few times...

Top Bottom