Best Way to Cut Case Off of Deprimer Die?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Kirk Freeman

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Mar 9, 2008
    Lafayette, Indiana
    Depriming .38 SPL case. Tool bit goes through case as if it is tissue paper and .327 Federal stuck inside .38 is stuck up in station #1.

Oh, and what a beautiful job it is. Form fitted to the tool bit.

Dremel tool and cut it off?

Optimal solution here?

DocIndy

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    38   0   0
    Mar 30, 2010
    Franklin
    Have a bench vise? Lightly hold the die in the vise. Put pliers between the die body and the case. Don't grab the deprive stem with the pliers...just enough to catch the mouth of the case. Tap the pliers with a BFH lightly to back the case off the deprime stem. Maybe?

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    haha_zps2490b572.jpg

wolfman

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    S Side Indy
    What brand of die? Give the manufacturer a call and they should be able to send you one, or better, a couple of pins. They should only take a couple of days to get, I have 2 spares for each set of dies I have.

sloughfoot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Apr 17, 2008
    Huntertown, IN
    I would use the dremel to cut the 38 case. You should be able to do that without damaging the expensive part. Then the fun begins with the 327 case. Keep us posted.

I bet you inspect your cases a little more closely from now on....

Karl-just-Karl

Retired
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 5, 2014
    NE
    How about using a pipe cutter to slowly remove the pieces you don't want?

I'd go slow and try a few practice cuts. A pipe cutter will more than likely leave a ring, or a crimped like edge behind, so I'd be a little cautious.

Thegeek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 20, 2013
    Indianapolis
    Carbide die? Just grab on to it with pliars and put a torch on it. The melting points are about 1000 degrees apart, so I doubt you'd hurt the carbide. And even if you do, it's just the pin.

TECKS

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 30, 2014
    SPEEDWAY
    Propane torch and vice grips you can even stick the pin in the die backwards so you don't gouge the pin in a vice.

Last edited:

reno

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 2, 2009
    Indiana
    WEll this stuff happens to anyone who reloads any at all at some point in their reloading life. After several panic attacks, Going in the house setting down and not being able to get your mind off of what you just did. Go back and decide to one way or the other get this fixed.

Avoid sledge hammers.

I would take the advice of an earlier post, place the die in a bench vise. Hopefully you do have one. If not, Remember that bit on the movie Planes , Trains and Automobiles when Steve is at the rental car desk without his paperwork. Your --------!

But back to the die in the bench vise. Take some penetrating oil, squirt down inside the case that has the sticking problem and let it set for a while. Be patient,
    BUt waiting on this is worse than watching grass grow.

Then go out and tighten that die as much as you can. The take vise grips. Hope you have those to.. If not stop reloading and go to the hardware store. But a bench vise and vise grips bring them home and install the bench vise.

Grab the case with the vise grips and tighten then just as much as you can and try to move the case. If it moves work it back and forth slowing and gently as you can but with enough force to remove the stuck case pull it off.

Then go in and watch TV, marveling at your ingenuity and relax.

Returm to the reloading room

Top Bottom