• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    Alright guys and gals, I live in Bloomington where there are not any good ranges to go shoot at, so I had a desire to do more dry fire practice. Awhile back I posted a thread asking what you all thought I should do for dry fire training. I listed a few options such as a trigger reset kit and laser, and the SIRT training pistols. There are pros and cons to both of them so I wasn't sure what one to go with.
    Well at the last 1500 I sold my DB9 and saved up some money to get a SIRT. I knew I wanted green laser so that I could do dry fire practice at the range and still see the laser, but I wasn't sure if the weight difference justified the price difference. I emailed NLT and they called me and talked to me about it over the phone and convinced me to get the metal slide. When I saved up the money for it I called them and they had it at my door in about 3 weeks.

Here is a quick video review I just did of it:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=ATrBzzbRCRY&feature=g-upl[/ame]

and here is a quick drill I did with it in my bathroom:
    [ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=6_6ES9AnRyk&feature=plcp[/ame]

I am really happy with it and would highly recommend it to anyone who is serious about their dry fire practice.

repeter1977

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 22, 2012
    NWI
    I have heard about this on a couple of the podcasts that I listen to. They said that they were great, and recommended getting one over getting that extra pistol. Training the muscle memory.
    If i can ask, about how much did this cost you?

Sailor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 5, 2008
    Fort Wayne
    I am getting the G19 version with the rackable slide when it comes out. I used the laserlyte insert in my G19 with great results. It takes your dryfire drills to the next level. It crapped out though at under 500 shots.

Just be careful to continue to focus on the front sight, and not focus on where your shots are hitting.

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    They retail for $439, but I got it for less on a military/LEO discount program that they offer. I don't think their discount prices are public knowledge, so I'm going to refrain from saying what it cost me. After getting a hold of it though, I wouldn't hesitate to pay full price for one, and I am thinking about picking up one of their AR bolts. (and hoping they make an AK bolt)

amhenry

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 21, 2010
    Bloomington
    I had a chance to check out JTGarner's SIRT tonight and run it indoors. I tried it slick, and then ran it with my TLR-1 in a light bearing holster, and I was very pleased.

I didn't find the red "take up indicator" laser to be especially helpful, so I turned it off. I enlisted a buddy for some quick FOF drills with rapid movement off the X, and one handed shooting from Count 2 of drawstroke. The SIRT worked very well.

Keeping both eyes open allowed me to clearly recognize my hits while still maintaining a consistent front sight focus with aimed shooting. Working from count 2 or 3 allowed me to observe where my unsighted aim was actually hitting.

I was disappointed that my stock Glock mags were too tight to use in the magwell, making tac reloads impossible, but all in all, my impression of the SIRT is very positive. I've already put in dozens of drawtrokes and 300+ trigger pulls tonight, and haven't had to spend a cent on ammo.

I wouldn't be able to stand the Zombie verison though....

Jtgarner

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Oct 5, 2010
    Bloomington
    I wouldn't be able to stand the Zombie verison though....
    Me either, but it is a cheaper option for sure.

I am pretty sure the take up laser is only good for training others to shot off the reset or to teach them to take up the slack while moving onto the target. I leave it off almost all the time.

Top Bottom