• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    My friend Brian did a video on the in-context use of the ResQme seatbelt/glass breaking tool.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VjaIv5J5zGM

Breaking auto glass is tougher than you think. Several of my students were surprised when they smacked a car window with a tire iron and didn't break it.

This is a great tool to keep in your car. It's cheap and works very well.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    Demo'd by esrice in one of my classes:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=DwEyffB7qVY[/ame]

Tire iron:

[ame]http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=xmODdx5PjTQ[/ame]

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Cool video with a neat test. I know I was surprised at just how easily the little ResQMe broke auto glass, and how difficult it was to break the glass with anything else.

These would make cool stocking stuffers.

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    Cool video with a neat test. I know I was surprised at just how easily the little ResQMe broke auto glass, and how difficult it was to break the glass with anything else.

These would make cool stocking stuffers.
    Excellent idea! I just bought two off of Amazon for $9.95!

Now I would really hate to have extra bulk on my key chain and need to find a place that I can mount it in my car that is accessible to both driver and passenger. Any ideas of how or where to mount?

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Now I would really hate to have extra bulk on my key chain and need to find a place that I can mount it in my car that is accessible to both driver and passenger. Any ideas of how or where to mount?

A little paracord could go a long way to helping tie it down. In the video he suggests the grab handles. As the video points out, tie it somewhere you can access it while flipped over, or after an accident.

Every car/van/truck is a bit different. Grab some paracord, go sit in your vehicle, and find a suitable spot. (then report back here)

BravoMike

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Nov 19, 2011
    Avon
    A little paracord could go a long way to helping tie it down. In the video he suggests the grab handles. As the video points out, tie it somewhere you can access it while flipped over, or after an accident.

Every car/van/truck is a bit different. Grab some paracord, go sit in your vehicle, and find a suitable spot. (then report back here)
    I have plenty of paracord, thank you! Another thought... will window tint effect how easy it is to break? I am not thinking of factory tint but the aftermarket stuff that is adhesive backed plastic. Any experience there? I don't have any on my vehicles just a thought for anyone who does.

Shay

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Mar 17, 2008
    Indy
    I have plenty of paracord, thank you! Another thought... will window tint effect how easy it is to break? I am not thinking of factory tint but the aftermarket stuff that is adhesive backed plastic. Any experience there? I don't have any on my vehicles just a thought for anyone who does.

I've broken a few tinted windows. The window will still break, but it will normally stay together in one piece or a few larger pieces due to the tint film.

Absolutely none of this advice applies to windshield glass. It's laminated and not at all like side window safety glass.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere

I've broken a few tinted windows. The window will still break, but it will normally stay together in one piece or a few larger pieces due to the tint film.

Absolutely none of this advice applies to windshield glass. It's laminated and not at all like side window safety glass.
    Yeah, the window tint was the only thing that kept some punk *** kids out of my truck two years ago. Apparently they didn't want to stick their hand through a sheet of broken glass to reach the door lock, LOL.

pudly

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    Nov 12, 2008
    Undisclosed
    I have one and keep it in the center console. It occurs to me from this conversation that (like any tool) it can also be used for negative purposes. I wonder when it will be used to make smash and grabs easier in cars?

Pitmaster

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 21, 2008
    South Bend, IN
    I would think that using some Velcro and attaching it to the ceiling or console would be reasonable. It might not hurt to have a couple of them strategically placed.

Stainer

Master
    Rating - 97.1%
    33   1   0
    Feb 8, 2009
    God's Country
    I have several of them, one on every set of keys, one on my BOB, and I have one of the hammers in my car as well just in case others need it as it would be much easier to realize what to do with a hammer with pointy ends then some kind of key chain you have never seen.

Top Bottom