• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Who here runs (or has run) a sling with some amount of bungee material? What do think about them?

I've never run one, but have often heard that they bounce the gun up and down when moving. Watching a recent YouTube video the reviewer said it actually acted as a shock absorber and was better when moving. :dunno:

What are your experiences?

booey50

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    May 27, 2009
    nw indiana
    I run one on my AR made by condor. It is a one point sling that is hooked to the back and yes it does move a lot, but that is because of the one point attachment. the bungee part of it doesn't stretch all that much, I wouldn't even call it bungee material at all. the stretchy part only moves(stretches) about an 1/4 of an inch.
    I like it a lot especially for the 20 dollars I paid for it.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    They are good for cinching them a little tighter and still be able to transition your rifle, but when you start moving quickly they do not seem to keep a rifle in place like a non-bungee sling.

I do not care for them, but YMMV.

obijohn

Master
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 24, 2008
    Terre Haute
    For me, the ability to extend a bit further for a muzzle strike (think cqb), makes a small bit of bungee a good thing. In the past, I tried slings that were ALL bungee, worked, but I did not care for it.
    Most of my single point slings have a bit of bungee. I'm not distracted in the least by bouncing of the weapon on the sling as 1) I try to keep at least one hand on the rifle when moving and 2) don't run much anymore.

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    true bungee sling story:

I originally liked the fact that you could push the gun away from you and the bungee sling resistance made the sights more stable. An example of this is if you're laying on your back and you're pushing the gun out from the sling for stability as you can't shoulder the weapon

mag-pul-dynamics-dynamic-carbine-students-fire-from-the-supine-position.jpg

I was sold.

I immediately became un-sold when i ran the last leg of a course pistol out with an empty rifle dangling. Train you like you fight!!!, so i'm trying to pretend that this gun bouncing off my knees and genitals isn't bothering me as i run to cover shooting at metal bad guys. Apparently my knee or something else caught the gun just right and stretched the thing to edge of it's integrity. The taught sling then catapulted my gun into my face and i caught a mouth full of magpul stock. To know what that's like, grab one of those 2 man waterballoon slingshots, then grab you favorite Ar...and launch the bastard right at your face. So anyway i love my new magpul ms3 sling.

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN
    I have one for my AR (midway single point bungee sling) I don't generally leave it on the gun because of the kind of shooting I do on a regular basis. BUT....when i do train with it i do like it. I tend to wear slings fairly high and tight and i don't have a problem with it while running. I have mine high enough that the butt stock falls at about the middle of my bicep when its down but it not under my arm (putting the barrel end at about my knee). Also when im not using it i push it back more to about the 7-8 o'clock spot and let it ride on my hip/butt. And because i shoot rifle left handed but shoot pistol right handed it puts the rifle out of the way completely for me to draw my pistol. When shooting with it it does just fine. I have done the regular shouldering with it and the press away using it as the stability point and it seems to be just fine for me. Im not saying its for everyone but for me with my lefty/righty shooting it is perfect.

Josh Ward

Master
    Rating - 100%
    81   0   0
    Feb 13, 2008
    Fortville/Greenfield
    I've been running a savy sniper single point for a while now. I cinch it up pretty tight. When its time to **** and get, i rotate the gun just past my midpoint on support side and go. I've not experienced any issue while running ect with no hands on the rifle....

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I like the makeshift bungee sling installed on my AK. The bungee pulls the rifle into the strong side shoulder and helps to support.

I have a question and hope I don't jack the thread. How often and under what circumstances does someone move without control of the rifle with one or both hands? I know it's a broad question, but an example would do. A video would be great.

lovemachine

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Dec 14, 2009
    Indiana
    I like the makeshift bungee sling installed on my AK. The bungee pulls the rifle into the strong side shoulder and helps to support.

I have a question and hope I don't jack the thread. How often and under what circumstances does someone move without control of the rifle with one or both hands? I know it's a broad question, but an example would do. A video would be great.

I know when you want to transition from your rifle to your pistol, you'll just let your rifle hang by the sling.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    I know when you want to transition from your rifle to your pistol, you'll just let your rifle hang by the sling.

Yeah, but I'm talking about running. Even when traversing an obstacle, I've slung my rifle behind my back or didn't use the sling at all in certain instances. I'm trying to better understand how people use slings when running.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Yeah, but I'm talking about running. Even when traversing an obstacle, I've slung my rifle behind my back or didn't use the sling at all in certain instances. I'm trying to better understand how people use slings when running.

Mine bounced around like crazy even when slung behind my back. It just did not feel as stable in many positions as a traditional sling. I wanted it to real bad, but, meh...

I even had a time where upon dropping my rifle, it bounced just enough to get caught on my sidearm. Traditional non-bungee slings tend to swing instead of bounce when you drop the rifle.

Then again, the one I tried was one of the full length bungee slings - not one of those that are only partially bungee material. :dunno:

chuddly

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Jan 17, 2012
    Eminence, IN

I go by this rule....use your rifle until you cant use your rifle. In other words use it until it would be faster to just go with the pistol. For instance shooting at stations and you only have 1 target left before to go on to the next. For me its faster to drop the rifle and let it hang and go to pistol (assuming range isnt and issue). Then while running to the next station re holster the pistol and swap mags in the rifle to get it ready again so really the rifle is only untouched/supported for a few steps while the pistol is going into its holster.

GPD177

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Greenwood
    I use nothing but single point bungy slings by BDS tactical, love them. Concerned about the people saying that their rifles bounce too much with the bungy when running. I have always had positive control over the rifle when I am running. The only time I do not have two hands on it is when I have to transisition to a pistol (due to jams or empty, which is rare) or when I am clearing a structure when the geography is just too tight (closets, very tight corners, entering into attics)

esrice

Certified Regular Guy
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Jan 16, 2008
    Indy
    Thanks for all the replies!

Sounds like I need to pick up a cheapie to test the concept. Like anything, I can see the pros and cons of the design.

worddoer

Master
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   1
    Jul 25, 2011
    Wells County
    Something to consider. I would like to see if the bungee concept works better on a 2 point or 3 point sling versus a single point sling. I can imagine that the single point sling would put more demands on the bungee section of the sling.

Just something to possibly consider for your test...

vitamink

Master
    Rating - 100%
    46   0   0
    Mar 19, 2010
    INDY
    You can borrow mine if you'd like...and when your done you can set it on fire then **** on it. I don't want it back though.

Cerberus

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Sep 27, 2011
    Floyd County
    I ran one of those SpecOps 3 pointers with the bungee stuff back when they were "the sling to have de jour" I was never very happy with it. I was so glad when I discovered the Vickers sling in early '08.

Top Bottom