• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BOLTGUN

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Mar 2, 2013
    NE INDY
    I have two boys 9/11. Smaller framed and love to shoot and hunt. I was gifted a Champion Wheelybird auto clay thrower and would enjoy attempting to bust some clays without the boys.

I'm looking to balance length, weight, quality and budget for an over / under 20 gauge for Christmas gift.

Any that you recommend looking into?

Other options include the Henry single shot youth ($450) and Remington 870 compacts as well, but didn't know what O/Us might be in the same ball park of my $500 budget.

Thank you ... Dave

JEBland

INGO's least subtle Alphabet agency taskforce spy
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Oct 24, 2020
    South of you
    While not an over/under, 500 Guns in Indy typically have a fair number of SxS shotguns (fixed chokes). Could maybe find one in 20 gauge in decent shape an under budget.

TJ Kackowski

Let it begin here.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   1
    Jun 8, 2012
    Hendricks County
    Kids grow FAST ... I went the 20 ga. youth sized shotgun route for my son, and that was a bust ... he outgrew the shotgun before 2 years were up. He moved right into my 12 ga. shotguns and we sold off the 20 ga. to fund other projects.

My opinion is that you need to find a nice 12 ga. single shot that you can chop the stock down and then build it back up as they grow.

Ammo is more plentiful for 12 ga., and if you roll your own, you can make some very soft shooting loads for them to start with.

After they get full sized is when you want to start looking at over/under or other type of shotguns.

Best of success with your shotgun adventures with your sons. No matter what you do, it will be memorable and a ton of fun.

Trapper Jim

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Dec 18, 2012
    Arcadia
    Your thinking is right on 20GA. Many think they need a 12 to hit something. He will learn to hit and shoot well with a 20GA.

thunderchicken

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Feb 26, 2010
    Indianapolis
    Well, my brother bought his boy a CZ Readhead reduced length a year ago. So far it has held up very well but has seen limited use. Unfortunately, the cost was double the budget you mentioned at $1k.

Since it would clearly be a double use gun (you said they live to shoot/hunt), what would they be hunting with them?

I would recommend looking at reduced length/youth Remington 870's or something comparable. You'd be hard pressed I bet to find any quality O/U for less than a grand each.
    From my perspective it could suck to outgrow that first gun that was a gift from dad. When my dad bought that first gun for me, I was frustrated it didn't fit too well. But I grew into it quickly (maybe 2yrs) and it still carries sentimental value and brings a flood of memories.

IMHO, why mess with 20g? Go with a 12g and just buy or load some 7/8oz loads for them to shoot. My daughter swears the 7/8oz 20g loads in her pump kick her more than 1oz 12g loads from her O/U.
    Regardless of 12g or 20g, 1 oz of # 7 shot at 1150fps is the same recoil. Only difference would be typically a 12g will be a little heavier, thus reducing felt recoil.
    If you find they are recoil sensitive look at a recoil pad from Falcon Strike. They are pretty remarkable from my limited experience with them.
    I'd also stay away from a single shot, they have their place but limits any clay games to pretty much singles trap. Having that 2nd shot opens up so much more opportunity to make memories with the gun.

Just my .02 cents

LarryC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 18, 2012
    Frankfort
    I guess I am an oddball, I have shot a fair amount of both skeet and trap and found I cannot hit ANYTHING with a double barrel.

No expert but I do fine with pumps, single shots but always shoot ahead of pigeons with any double SXS or OU!
    Same problem with hunting birds. Shot some friends very expensive doubles - same issue.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    Is it critical to have a multi-barrel gun?

My first shotgun was an H&R single barrel 20ga that my old man cut down for me. As I got older he simply put the section of stock into a lace-on boot to restore the original length. I would think those type guns can be had pretty reasonably on the used market.

Franc

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2021
    Fishers, IN
    When my kids are 7 and 8 yrs old I rented a youth model Remington 870 in 20GA. They could not hit anything and I could see the recoil was pretty bad as the gun was very light. So I waited a year and got them Berreta A300. Took out the spacer on the stock and used a thin pad to make it fit. Also started with Winchester light target load, which coupled with the soft gas action made the gun a joy to shoot. Later I added the spacer back and changed the recoil pad to a thick one to make it full size again. The gun is under $800. Something you may want to consider.

popcorn09

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 27, 2020
    US
    My son learned on a compact 20ga Stoger Condor OU. Sold it for same money when he out grew it.
    You mentioned 870…you can always buy a full size and install a compact stock until the full size fits. Then he can still use the gun he learned on.

Top Bottom