• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Looked in the flyer and online and don't see that it says a hunters education course is required. Went to Walmart to pick up Aidan's license and it asked them for a hunters ed number. What gives? Does he need a course? Even though he can hunt for free with no regulations other than normal law this weekend.

foxxie02

Marksman
    Rating - 97.2%
    35   1   0
    May 23, 2008
    my son had to do the course before he could get a hunting license. after a certain birth year.. maybe 1986 all people had to take the course.. dnr website should mention this.

HamsterStyle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    33   0   0
    Jul 27, 2010
    Carthage
    Went back to Walmart. Got it. They need to check both the combo box and the apprentice box. Then the next screen they need to click youth combo apprentice choice. It is also $7. Same as normal license. Now, I'm gonna have to find a hunters ed course for the boy.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Went back to Walmart. Got it. They need to check both the combo box and the apprentice box. Then the next screen they need to click youth combo apprentice choice. It is also $7. Same as normal license. Now, I'm gonna have to find a hunters ed course for the boy.

My Twin boys took the online course last weekend - the good thing about it is that you can stop and take a break and start right back where you left off. The bad thing about it was it was so basic that it was boring. I know they need to for safety reasons but my sons were bored with them going over the diagram of the same rifle, pistol, shotgun etc. like 3 times. It could have been condensed a lot that's for sure. The other thing I didn't like was that it only covered Indiana very briefly like a couple minutes total. I wish it was less general and more specific to Indiana Hunting. Still beats taking a 2-day class by sitting in the comfort of your own house.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    How long did it take? Do you have a link for the course?

https://www.hunter-ed.com/indiana/There's the link above - you can also go to the DNR website and it's a link on there if it does not work.
    It took about 9 hours but I had two boys taking it at the same time so that might have added a little time. They say it takes 6 hours but that's BS. There are 9 chapters and a Final Exam. We took half of it Saturday and the other half last Sunday - just be sure to click the save and log out when you exit so it saves your progress. Also, the DNR sent us the hard license cards in the mail already yesterday so that was fast service. You also don't have to pay anything until you pass the exam so it has a lot of benefits to going to an actual classroom (plus you don't have to sit through all the questions that an actual classroom might ask of the instructor). I sat through it with my sons so that I could answer any questions that they had (and also to point out a few inaccuracies that I saw on the videos).

sugarcreekbrass

Expert
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Mar 29, 2015
    West central
    Yes, a one or two day class can make for long days. However the online test is a lot more difficult than in person. I think if kids or someone new to guns and hunting should take a class in person. Depending on the class you get the opportunity to see "real" things and in some cases participate in range days. Nucor steel in Crawfordsville hosts a class each year and they give every student a Hunter Safety System harness. Their next class is first weekend in October.

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Yes, a one or two day class can make for long days. However the online test is a lot more difficult than in person. I think if kids or someone new to guns and hunting should take a class in person. Depending on the class you get the opportunity to see "real" things and in some cases participate in range days. Nucor steel in Crawfordsville hosts a class each year and they give every student a Hunter Safety System harness. Their next class is first weekend in October.

Different situation for every kid I guess. Mine have shot for years and they are "gun nuts" as in they can tell you the history & development of many different guns and weapons. A free harness would be nice but since we hunt from a ground blind that wasn't something we needed. Plus taking a class the first weekend in October when the Youth Deer Hunt is the last weekend in September would not have worked chronologically unless I can find that Delorean?

Top Bottom