• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    I'm wondering if I'm the only one with this issue. My favorite knife, the one I would carry all the time in every situation just can't hack it. I bought a SOG trident a few years back and love it! The handle the blade size and shape the edge out of the box, the pocket clip, everything was perfect. I have small hands so the handle fills my hand well and is still very effective with gloves. Thick enough to feel powerful, yet light. Easy to use locking mechanism etc etc I could go on and on.

Now here I am a few years later, the blade is chipped, the pocket clip is broken and the little extra locking lever thing floats freely instead of locking in place. And this knife hasn't been through half of what either of my spyderco's have been through... I guess i love the design of the knife but the quality bummed me out.

So what about you? Any knives you love the design / idea of but were let down by the quality or actual effectiveness??

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    There are number of knives I really like that don't have a lanyard hole. Almost every knife ought to have one, imo. Buck, if you're listening, why doesn't the Nighthawk have a lanyard hole!!!

Pale Rider

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Too Close to Home
    There are number of knives I really like that don't have a lanyard hole. Almost every knife ought to have one, imo. Buck, if you're listening, why doesn't the Nighthawk have a lanyard hole!!!

I think I maybe own one knife without a lanyard hole and it's got a bone handle... thought they were standard on most "modern" knives???

Jack Ryan

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    My favorite and every day carry knife is a Leatherman Wave. IMO it's the best out there with the tools I need and use most.

It could still be better.

I don't like the new Leatherman tools with all those extra gadgets, inserts and what ever. IMO that's just crap that will soon be lost and probably never worked well to start with.

To make my Wave better it needs...

the file should have a hook sharpener
    the blade should have better steel like the blade in a Buck 110
    the wire cuts should have harder steel
    that serrated blade is a goofy boy scout knife gimmick, total waste, never thought about what I'd replace it with

Other than those the thing is perfect.

One thing I'd like to see is more fixed blade knives with leather handles instead of all that bone, horn, and industrial man made materials. My throwing knife from HB Forge has leather handles and there is just no way to describe what they hold up to with no damage and good it feels in your hand. Any real use fixed blade should have leather handle.

Last edited:

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    I'd like to make my Cutco pocket knife an "assisted opener".

That knife is seriously sharp. I cut some carpet remnants today...like a hot knife through butter.

-J-

Jeremiah

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 26, 2008
    Avilla, IN
    My favorite and every day carry knife is a Leatherman Wave. IMO it's the best out there with the tools I need and use most.

It could still be better.

I don't like the new Leatherman tools with all those extra gadgets, inserts and what ever. IMO that's just crap that will soon be lost and probably never worked well to start with.

To make my Wave better it needs...

the file should have a hook sharpener
    the blade should have better steel like the blade in a Buck 110
    the wire cuts should have harder steel
    that serrated blade is a goofy boy scout knife gimmick, total waste, never thought about what I'd replace it with

Other than those the thing is perfect.

One thing I'd like to see is more fixed blade knives with leather handles instead of all that bone, horn, and industrial man made materials. My throwing knife from HB Forge has leather handles and there is just no way to describe what they hold up to with no damage and good it feels in your hand. Any real use fixed blade should have leather handle.

look at the victornox swiss tool spirit, great multi tool, IMHO leatherman did it first, victornox just improved it.

kcaskey

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 4, 2008
    Spyderco Deluca...Wish it help a sharp edge longer and that the clip was stainless to begin with,

Top Bottom