You can't own a gun, but you can run for the senate!

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    This will be another problem protecting out 2a rights. Another republican senator going to get voted out:noway:. Soon the senate will be a democratic majority and it will be all of the corrupt senators to blame.

WASHINGTON – Alaska Sen. Ted Stevens was convicted of seven corruption charges Monday in a trial that threatened to end the 40-year career of Alaska's political patriarch in disgrace.
    The verdict, coming barely a week before Election Day, increased Stevens' difficulty in winning what already was a difficult race against Democratic challenger Mark Begich. Democrats hope to seize the once reliably Republican seat as part of their bid for a filibuster-proof majority in the Senate.
    Stevens, 84, was convicted of all the felony charges he faced of lying about free home renovations and other gifts from a wealthy oil contractor. Jurors began deliberating last week.
    The senator showed no emotion as the jury foreman said "guilty" seven times. After the verdicts, Stevens sat in his chair and stared at the ceiling as attorney Brendan Sullivan put his arm around him.
    Stevens faces up to five years in prison on each count when he is sentenced, but under federal guidelines he is likely to receive much less prison time, if any. The judge originally scheduled sentencing for Jan. 26 but then changed his mind and did not immediately set a date.
    The monthlong trial revealed that employees for VECO Corp., an oil services company, transformed Stevens' modest mountain cabin into a modern, two-story home with wraparound porches, a sauna and a wine cellar.
    The Senate's longest-serving Republican, Stevens said he had no idea he was getting freebies. He said he paid $160,000 for the project and believed that covered everything.
    He had asked for an unusually speedy trial, hoping he'd be exonerated in time to return to Alaska and win re-election. He kept his campaign going and gave no indication that he had a contingency plan in case of conviction.
    Despite being a convicted felon, he is not required to drop out of the race or resign from the Senate. If he wins re-election, he can continue to hold his seat because there is no rule barring felons from serving in Congress. The Senate could vote to expel him on a two-thirds vote.
    "Put this down: That will never happen — ever, OK?" Stevens said in the weeks leading up to his trial. "I am not stepping down. I'm going to run through, and I'm going to win this election."

Indy_Guy_77

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Apr 30, 2008
    Ain't it up to the state's governor to appoint a replacement should a Senator be DQ'd for whatever reason?

Or is it up to the particular political party that the "no longer a Senator" belongs to?

Perhaps it's specific to each state...I dunno.

As far as "protecting their own"... could be. But "in real life", how many old men get sent to prison for similar things? "White collar crime" has always, and will always (unfortunately) be treated differently than other law-breaking.

-J-

turnandshoot4

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 29, 2008
    Kouts
    He was in the process of running for the seat in the senate again. A new senator would be appointed for a week and a half. He isn't disqualified from running for the senate because he was a felon and abused his power though.

Hopefully he will serve the 5 years for each count.

I just don't understand why he can still run for the senate? He betrayed the trust of the Alaskan people. Betrayed his own country.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    They think he might not serve any jail time. Protecting their own:xmad:

In federal cases, the sentencing guidelines almost always determine the sentence with little room for discretionary sentencing.

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    I can only hope so. That means this guy will be behind bars for 35 years.

That's the max sentence, not the guidelines sentence. I would find it highly unlikely to see a sentence of more than 3 years.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 21, 2008
    You know, if we just put all politicians in jail the day they're elected, it would save everyone a lot of time and money.

Top Bottom