• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Went out this AM to put my dogs out. Saw this doe carcass on our lake. Only about 200 yds from the house. I know she wasn't there last night. May have to set up tonight, because I'm sure them hungry yotes will be back. Doe is top of fence line, midway between barn and well pump.
    View attachment 35020

printcraft

INGO Clown
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Feb 14, 2008
    Uranus
    Little bastards are out chasing deer within 50 yards of my back door. You can see the paw prints following hooves across the ravines and hills.
    I keep the dogs in the fenced portion of the yard when they are out but I'm always watching. If I see them they are toast.
    The crazy cat lady (no joke) next door has plenty of strays that cycle in and out and I'm sure the yotes are getting them.

throttletony

Master
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jul 11, 2011
    nearby
    I haven't been watching lunar cycles, but i hope it's a full moon and that you can whack em. (Full moon to not have to use extra lights)

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana
    A yote will have a hard time killing a healthy deer, they will go after the week or injured and young "new born"... They are opportunist ...

mom45

Momerator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 10, 2013
    NW of Sunshine
    We have had a pack of them take down an adult doe here before. So far, only one shot here this year. Trail cameras are out but I have only seen deer, hawks, skunk and my cat so far. The skunk can just keep on walking.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    I haven't been watching lunar cycles, but i hope it's a full moon and that you can whack em. (Full moon to not have to use extra lights)
    Last night was a 2/3 moon, but fog rolled in with a cold front and it was not conducive to seeing anything..... was 40 during the day and we dropped to single digits, also was celebrating signing the paperwork on our house! Will be a Hoosier soon!! Buh-BYE North Dakota and hello Indiana!!

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    Thanks trophy hunter ..... woke up this AM to -9 with a -25 wind chill. Grilled some ribeyes last night - light overcast,a few snow flakes and 5/-5 ... getting tired of the frequent sub-zero stuff. I know, I know, I'm in ND in January. On a better note, I did see a Bald Eagle feasting on the carcass yesterday. The wife got a quick shot of it before it startled and flew off....
    View attachment 35109

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    A yote will have a hard time killing a healthy deer, they will go after the week or injured and young "new born"... They are opportunist ...
    Deer are eating good since there isn't much snow on the ground, and overall they've been looking in good shape. We have a LOT of yotes around and they're hungry, so who knows. No newborns here this time of year... this is the second time I've seen them chase a doe onto the ice. I think they do it because the deer has poor footing and they have the numbers.

About 3 years ago I drove out my drive, on my way to work, and saw a couple of yotes on the ice 400 yds out. They scattered, but there was something else. A doe, still alive had its front hooves fall through the ice. She was stuck, and they were gnawing on her hind haunches. Call NDGF and asked permission to shoot the deer, did not want any problems since it was not deer gun season. I know the warden from past encounters, all good, and he said go ahead and thanks for calling. Grabbed the .270 and finally dispatched the deer, after 7 shots! I found out my scope had gotten knocked out of alignment since my last sight in, so it was a benefit to me as well, since deer season was fast approaching.

Nodonutz

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 12, 2014
    Alexandria
    The moon/weather did not cooperate, and we can't use 'extra lights', or night vision scopes for night hunting in ND. They are trying to get that changed. Though I probably could get away with it since we are way-way out in the country, but I wouldn't - besides I don't have a night vision equipment. Also, the yard light was more of a hinderance than a help. The barn blocks the light onto the lake, else it'd probably be enough.
    I am going to miss the wide-openness of this place, but looking forward to being closer to town.

spaniel

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 20, 2013
    Lizton
    Coyotes get as close as they want to, in IN they have in many places become too cozy with population centers. A few years back I had a coyote emerge from the back field and stand watching my kids play in the backyard from 80 yards. It seemed pretty unconcerned when I stepped out and tried to wave it off.

When I came back a couple minutes later with the 300WM, it was still playing around within 150 yds of the house mid-day. It showed no fear of humans right up until I nearly knocked its head free of its shoulders with a 110gr VMax at 3800fps.

AceDerringer

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   1   0
    Apr 8, 2013
    Fort Wayne, IN
    I have a tiny 3 acre parcel of land in IN that backs up to a housing addition....we hear them all the time and I have seen them crossing the road into our woods quite a lot... For the most part they dont seem all that skiddish of people... typically there are 4 of them and 1 has had a limp now for almost 3 years.... unfortunately since I am in town I cant blast em... :ar15:

yote hunter

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Dec 27, 2013
    Indiana

Im not saying they won't go after a adult deer its just not gonna be easy for them to kill it, but they are opportunist so anything possible ? In the spring when the fawns are born they will kill them if they find them, easy pray if they find one...

Top Bottom