• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    Well I finally got my first archery deer. Have one with shotgun, muzzleloader and now bow.

Third weekend out in my trusty stand that got me my ten point last year during gun.

Hadn't seen a deer all year and about 8:15 am she came out into the clearing. I didn't see her initially as she was behind a tree off to my right. She finally made her way in between a few trees in the clearing and stopped. I was downwind but really wasnt any wind to speak of. A small 5 point came out behind her and caught her attention..I think he was chasing her.

She wandered into range at 25 yards and turned quartering away. I let the arrow fly and heard what I thought was a smack but it all happened so fast.

She took off toward the woods and I couldn't see her. The buck ran up into the clearing to my east and stopped..tried to figure out what happened. I just watched him for about 15 minutes before he slowly walked off.

Was gonna wait for an hour before looking for blood but at the hour mark 4 turkey came meandering out. They hung out right in front of my stand..hadn't seen them before on this property. After they left a few does were cruising off to my left. I didn't move as my dad was also hunting and thought they might head his way.

So far a great day! For kicks I decided to get the bleat can out. Thought I might get that 5 point back. To my surprise a small 8 point came walking through right past my stand. I got to watch him for about 20 minutes...he went behind me and created a scrape, rubbed the tree. It was awesome. I got to practice my breathing and how not to spook him. He was maybe 10 yards..I could have killed him with a big rock. My new theory is to leave the bucks to chase the good tasting does until I see one bigger than the 10 i killed last year. He tasted horrible so I'll stick to does. I'm too cheap to mount a buck anyway.

He finally left and I got down....walk into the field and my doe is maybe 40 yards dead in the field. Arrow is covered in blood stuck in the ground..blades all messed up. I hit her with a double lung, right behind the leg angling down and it came out her left shoulder. The hole the Muzzy MX-3 left was huge..looked like a shotgun slug.

The only bad thing...she had a huge amount of fat...gonna be bad winter or so thats what I always hear people say. Jerky time!

Last edited:

M4Madness

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    May 28, 2008
    Springville
    Congratulations! Yep, yesterday morning was a good one for bowhunting. I saw more deer in three hours than the first three weeks of season combined.

clfergus

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Mar 9, 2009
    Southeast Indy
    The doe I took Friday evening had a lot of fat on her too.

This was only my third time field dressing and the fat behind the guts is what threw me off. The other two had some but nothing really and they were taken in colder November weather the last two seasons. Once I got her guts out I was cutting handfuls of fat out of this one.

Top Bottom