I have and I am not a fan. They are quick enough but difficult for accuracy

AllenM

Diamond Collision Inc. Avon.
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    133   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Avon
    It's personal choice, if you shooting 10 yards or less they are fine. I just don't like them myself. I have spent to much time with other sights. It feels like a down grade to me

billybob44

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    385   0   0
    Sep 22, 2010
    In the Man Cave
    XS Big Dot???

If you are talking about the XS Big Dot front sight, IMO, yes they do have some use.

They seem to work well on my G-26 for EDC. The "Golf Ball" will cover Center Mass, @ 10 yards or so, and will come up quick.

If you are looking for "Center Mass" aiming they are fine. If you are looking for "Bulls Eye" shooting, they are not...Bill.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    They are great sights for distances you don't need sights for. They are trash for any reasonable accuracy at distances you need sights. I would honestly rather go without sights at all and rely on indexing and using the frame for reference then using the "big dot" XS sights.

Trijicon HD sights are every bit as fast, but still allow reasonable accuracy at longer distances.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    They are great sights for distances you don't need sights for. They are trash for any reasonable accuracy at distances you need sights. I would honestly rather go without sights at all and rely on indexing and using the frame for reference then using the "big dot" XS sights.Trijicon HD sights are every bit as fast, but still allow reasonable accuracy at longer distances.
    I reallh wanted Trijicon but i am not sure if they offer them?

Bfish

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    13   0   0
    Feb 24, 2013
    If you like the XS sights use them in confidence. For me I like those, the HD's mentioned and the I-Dot pros mainly just because I like the strait 8 design at night and things.

88E30M50

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Dec 29, 2008
    Greenwood, IN
    If you only have one gun, you might like the XS Big Dots, but if you have more than one and don't use them on all of them, you'll come to hate the things. I have them on my G19 and G27. If those were the only two guns I owned, I'd probably be OK with the Big Dots, but none of my other guns have them so each time I take either of those guns out to the range, I spend the first couple of strings trying to remember the site picture with them. One of these days, I'll swap them out but hate buying sights twice for the same gun.

I'll add another vote for the Trijicon HDs. I put those on my G21 and love the things. Eventually, I'll have a set of them on my carry 1911s and Glocks as well. The things are expensive though, so it may take a while to get everything set.

Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Greenfield
    I use the xs big dots on my edc glock 19. But Like others said, i tend to shoot great at close range but distance my groups get larger. I love them for edc because its fast for my eye to line up. They definately are not for everybody though.

Faine

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Feb 2, 2012
    Indy (South Side)
    I use the XS Big dots and have no issues out to 25yds, beyond that they obscure the target quite a bit. The Big Dots are meant for EDC and most self-defense situations will be inside of 25yds. Like anything practice matters. I like them because they are very easy for me to see at all times, day or night, and the dot the i or make a lolipop sights are natural to me. While I agree good indexing and routine are important I would not go without sights and use the frame as it is possible that you may be incapacitated and someone else might need to use your gun to defend you and others.

LCSOSgt11

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 24, 2009
    LaPorte, IN
    I would agree with Allen M. If one is shooting across a room, fine. If one is looking for small group accuracy at distance, say more than 10-15 yards, I would look for something else. I would say that they are appropriate for the smaller weapons, say a Glock 26, 27, or 36, or other such weapon.

amallen1

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 19, 2012
    Terre Haute
    I have the XS Big Dot sights on my Shield, and think they are great for an EDC. These guys are right about long distances; however, I figure I would have a hard time claiming self-defense outside of 20 yards....

The Bubba Effect

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    High Rockies
    I have tried the big dots and after a few months and a few classes with them, I switched to trijicon HD's. I think the HD's are as good close up and fast while being much better when trying to shoot more accurately. I have ran a few thousand rounds through my edc using the HD's and I am completely satisfied with them.

The HD's also have a much more aggressive rear site profile that really helps when doing one handed manipulations (easier to catch rear sight on belt buckle or barrier to rack the slide). That has one drawback if you're fat like me, because your belly can get eat up by the rear sight on the HD's if your holster does not shield you from them.

Grease

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 28, 2015
    Dirty south
    They are great sights for distances you don't need sights for. They are trash for any reasonable accuracy at distances you need sights. I would honestly rather go without sights at all and rely on indexing and using the frame for reference then using the "big dot" XS sights.

Trijicon HD sights are every bit as fast, but still allow reasonable accuracy at longer distances.

I agree with this completely.

I have ate the trijicon HD Orange on my g26 and liked them so much that I bought the HD yellows for my g19. I love the yellows way more than the orange as my eyes pick up the front sight much faster than the Orange, and orange are FAST!

i thought at first that I would not like a blacked out rear sight but, I got used to them rather quickly. fWIW there are no white circles around the rear tritium ampules, the ampules are set in a black sleeve so as not to distract the eye.

i have tried various styles of sights and found the trijicon HD's to be the best. When considering sights, I look for quick alignment, ease of targeting, how much of the target is covered, POa/POI, and just how "busy" the sights are. On a couple sets I have tried, I found I spent way more time lining up sights than actually aiming, just bad for an EDC.

Top Bottom