• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • simpleman44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    white county
    One of the guys i work with just acquired an xd in 357 sig. He wants to know if he can swap it out for a 40 cal barrel with out taking it to a gun smith. THanks for any help.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    Yes I believe he can do that himself fairly easy. I almost bought one of those myself because of that very reason. Just never felt warm and fuzzy about the 357 sig side of it.

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    I believe RogerB is right. I can absolutely confirm that the magazines are the same even though some are marked .40 and others are marked .357 Sig.:rockwoot: :patriot:

Yup CS1, that was a selling point they tried on me. "Twice the pistol, for half the price"....

yeah that didn't stick too well, not trying to down talk them though. XD's are awesome guns! :yesway:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    at the time I had heard of problems with the ammo availability of the 357 sig round. Not sure if its still that way now, but I would imagine it is.

Well..... I'd say it's no more scarce than anything else is getting to be. I may do some checking into getting a .40 bbl. myself. :patriot:
    :cheers:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    can't say I blame ya! I have the XD 9mm and a Bersa UC .45. With the wife starting be fond of the 9mm I may need to go up to a XD .45. But I fear the BRD gene has been found in my system. :D

Well..... I'd say it's no more scarce than anything else is getting to be. I may do some checking into getting a .40 bbl. myself. :patriot:
    :cheers:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    just a side note the ammo availability issue with the sig 357 was around a year or maybe two years ago. But yeah, just like everything else nowa days its like fishing in an unknown lake. Might catch something, ya might not. :D

I've got a .45 XD too (actually 9mm, .357 sig., & .45) and love it!!! :patriot: :rockwoot:

NateIU10

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 19, 2008
    Maryland
    I know you can go from .40 down to .357sig and 9mm but I didn't think you could go the other way around.

Pretty sure you're dealing with a decrease in pressures when going from .357 to .40. :dunno:

I think he means with the OD of the barrels, as smaller calibers have smaller holes in the slide for the barrels, not pressure. I have no idea about the outer diameter of Xd barrels though.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    The .357 sig is just a bottle necked .40. By it being bottlenecked it creates more preasure in the barrel, there by creating a higher velocity. You will pay out the ass for .357 sig ammo though. Even before all the panic buying. If you can afford it I would buy a .40 barrel. Keep some .357 sig ammo in supply also. That's is just my :twocents:

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    The .357 sig is just a bottle necked .40. By it being bottlenecked it creates more preasure in the barrel, there by creating a higher velocity. You will pay out the ass for .357 sig ammo though. Even before all the panic buying. If you can afford it I would buy a .40 barrel. Keep some .357 sig ammo in supply also. That's is just my :twocents:

Thank You Sir, that was kind of what I was getting at in my earlier posts. It was hard to find even back then, and when you COULD find it it was expensive...even before the current ways of unavailable ammo. :yesway:

Crystalship1

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 4, 2008
    Oaklandon, IN.
    Thank You Sir, that was kind of what I was getting at in my earlier posts. It was hard to find even back then, and when you COULD find it it was expensive...even before the current ways of unavailable ammo. :yesway:

Just took a look at Gander's on-line prices to get a feel for $$ difference in the two calibers. Remington/UMC - In .40 S&W is $19.99 for 50 and the same in .357 sig is $27.99 so.... yeah!!! :yesway:

Last edited:

simpleman44

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2009
    white county
    Ammo price is the reason he wants to get a 40 barrel. He been told by one person he cant swap but every body else has told him he can. Thanks for the responses guys apprecieate it.

Top Bottom