Would you stop and help an accident victim?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Wife and I had a test on the way home from Pigeon Forge friday afternoon. Just north of Berea,KY (in pouring rain and and tornado warning-no less) we encountered a motorcycle accident victim lying along the right hand white line-just barely off the highway on I-75(motionless). two semi drivers immediately pulled over to help and at first I was tempted to go on ,since someone had stopped to help,but my wife-knowing CPR (since she runs a daycare) convinced me to stop also-she felt she might be able to save his life. Long story short-he seemed OK after being unconscious for a few minutes-first responders from fire dept. were there almost immediately after 911 call. Ambulance and police -not so quickly-but time goes slow in the pouring rain while holding my umbrella over the victim..............Nice BMW motorcycle pretty much ruined-good news was he was wearing a helmet and heavy jeans-so his busted lip and bruises(I hope) seemed to be the only damage to him.Even though we had to finish the last 3 hours of our drive home with water soaked clothes-I'd do it again. He turned out to be a fellow Hoosier from Greenwood-still praying he's OK after hospital check.

techres

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Industry Partner
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    I would, and I have.

The one exception is if I have my kids and no other adult to take guardianship of them when I step away. If I have kids and am the only adult, my ability to help is severely constrained as they are my first responsibility. Period.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    16   0   0
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    FYI

My step dad stopped and helped a few yrs back. An overturned UPS truck vs small car. He got pretty cut up helping pull the guy out of the truck and the UPS driver was bleeding really bad (all over my SD wounds). My SD could donate blood for 2 yrs after that. Even with neg. blood tests. The juice is definitely worth the squeeze... just passing on info.

Yes, I have and will again.

Coach

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Trainer Supporter
    Local Business Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Apr 15, 2008
    Coatesville
    I will stop and help and I have several times. However If I have my kids with me it is unlikely I will stop because I don't like parking along the interstate period, but I am not putting them at risk.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    Not to be Debbie Downer, but a memerable one was:
    I stopped two winters ago to help a middle aged lady that ran out of gas apparently. I offered to call somebody to come get her but she just wanted money. I gave her probably five bucks, and she just asked if I had anymore. I said I did but that's all I would give her. So acts all indignant that I would only GIVE her enough for two gallons.

If I see her againthis winter she's only getting a wave and pothole of slush.

But props to those that help those that truely need it.

amboran

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2008
    Brownstown,IN
    Keeping yourself and loved ones safe while helping is always a concern before stopping to help. I have seen too many second accidents caused by "rubberneckers" that are just watching-not helping.:xmad:
    Thankfully ,I was protected somewhat by the semi trucks that pulled off behind me-my major concern this time was the approaching tornado and its location (we could hear the tornado sirens as we helped).
    Good to hear all the positive responses-not all that surprising :ingo:. Can't say enough thanks for firefighters-those first responders really helped quickly-they were volunteer firefighters to boot.

SC_Shooter

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    Bloomington
    Have and will again. One of my philosophies in life is to do what is right...not necessarily what is convenient. Reps to amboran for doing just that!

Beau

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 20, 2008
    Colorado
    I've stopped a few times. Once on I-465 on the east side. Bad accident at night. Cars were barely slowing down. Just zipping around. Scared the crap out of me. Helped a lady and two kids out of a car that was still halfway in the fast lane.

Gives you a good feeling doesn't it?

There is a flip side though.

When I was 22 I saw a guy get nailed on his motorcycle. I stopped and sometimes wish I hadn't. After clearing teeth and bits of tongue from his mouth to try and give him an airway he passed on while I held his hand. It's an image I'll never forget.

I can not give enough respect to paramedics and doctors who see and deal with this on a regular basis. I don't think I could do it.

Adrenaline

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 6, 2009
    North Carolina
    I would, but I do not know how much of a help I would be. I would try my best to help (CPR is a little rusty), but I would stop call 911 and do whatever I could to help.

Militarypol21

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Jan 24, 2009
    Noblesville, IN
    Yeah I would most likely stop and help...

A couple years ago, the wife and I were driving home from work around 12:30am one winter morning headed South down 465 at the Northwest Corner of Indianapolis when we saw something smoking way down in the ditch. We turned around on 86th Street and came back just because we were kind of curious to what it was. Turns out there was a car approximately 75ft or so down in the ditch with heavy white smoke coming from under the hood. We pulled over and I ran down to check on the driver as the wife called 911. When I got there all I could really see is the top half of the car. It was so far down in the mud the tires weren’t visible and there was no way the doors were going to open and the car battery was dead so there was no way to roll the window down. So, myself dressed in dress clothes started digging in the mud to get the door open without even thinking about maybe breaking the window to get the guy out. After a few minutes he was out and he said he was down there for at least 15 to 20 minutes before I showed up. I could tell he was cold and a little shookin up so we went back up to my vehicle to keep warm until the police arrived. After arriving back up to my vehicle he asked if I could give him a ride home at which time I told him I’d stick around until the police got there but that’s the most I could do (not knowing who the guy is). His response was, “WHAT! You called the police?” I said to him, “You were just in an accident, who else do you want me to call?” By this time, the first officer and ambulance pulled up. He got out and walked to the ambulance and I waited to speak to the officer. I told the officer he wanted me to take him home and the officer said he could tell he had been drinking and is probably under the influance, which was why he didn’t want to stick around. The last thing I saw before I pulled away was him being placed in handcuffs.

MrsGungho

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 18, 2008
    East Side
    Have and will again. Last accident I was pregnant, rather obviously so too, with our son and a little sports car was coming off the ramp at shadeland and 465, wet and rainy and he lost it on the wet pavement. fishtailed back and forth before hitting another vehicle and then slamming into the concrete barrier.
    No one was seriously hurt which was a good thing.

I can remember being 4 or 5 years old and the bybass was being built around Plymouth/Argos. We were with Mom and driving home to Argos from Plymouth when we came upon a semi rolled onto his side at the turn for old 31 north of Argos. Mom stopped, put him in our car, treated his wounds and waited for police and ambulance to show up.

I think the good Samaritan thing is in my blood.

Top Bottom