Would you stay in a really nice MOTEL, if one was available on a planned trip?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    When I was a kid, my Mom would take me and my sister, or sometimes just one of us, on small weekend vacations around the state. Sometimes we'd stay in hotels, sometimes in motels. By far, my favorites were the motels. This was late 60s/ early seventies. I'm not sure if it was just youthful naivete or reality, but it seemed that motels were cleaner and nicer than what you typically see today.

The big plus is that the motels were on the outskirts of small towns, usually by a highway or on a state route. This meant they were usually situated near fields, woods, and creeks. Exploring those places was much more fun for me than the typical in-town stuff my Mom wanted to do. Best part was, back then, nobody cared if you brought your dog with you, and my dog was my frequent companion on these explorations.

Having travelled extensively since then, I now usually stay at a Hilton or Hampton Inn as a minimum, and rarely consider other options. When I have to chose other options, I research them well, and make the best choice I can. Motels don't make the list.

Here's where I get to the point. There is this motel somewhere in Indiana, I forget where, that looks like a classic 60s/70s motel. I've passed it a few times, and it looks like the kind of place where people used to stop for a night when they weren't just barreling down the interstate at 90 miles an hour for 600 or 800 miles a day to get to their destination. It got me to thinking, as I was barreling past at 90 mph, what if they remodeled the thing, and made it a high quality venue, at least on par with a Hilton. Clean, well-furnished, with a modern bathroom. Out in the sticks a bit, but close enough to local attractions in at least a couple directions to make it a relaxing stay. Maybe some woods or a creek out back for the kids to explore for a couple hours when you get back from doing the locally touristy stuff all day. Would you stay at a place like that?

rhamersley

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 9, 2016
    Danville
    When I was a kid, my Mom would take me and my sister, or sometimes just one of us, on small weekend vacations around the state. Sometimes we'd stay in hotels, sometimes in motels. By far, my favorites were the motels. This was late 60s/ early seventies. I'm not sure if it was just youthful naivete or reality, but it seemed that motels were cleaner and nicer than what you typically see today.

The big plus is that the motels were on the outskirts of small towns, usually by a highway or on a state route. This meant they were usually situated near fields, woods, and creeks. Exploring those places was much more fun for me than the typical in-town stuff my Mom wanted to do. Best part was, back then, nobody cared if you brought your dog with you, and my dog was my frequent companion on these explorations.

Having travelled extensively since then, I now usually stay at a Hilton or Hampton Inn as a minimum, and rarely consider other options. When I have to chose other options, I research them well, and make the best choice I can. Motels don't make the list.

Here's where I get to the point. There is this motel somewhere in Indiana, I forget where, that looks like a classic 60s/70s motel. I've passed it a few times, and it looks like the kind of place where people used to stop for a night when they weren't just barreling down the interstate at 90 miles an hour for 600 or 800 miles a day to get to their destination. It got me to thinking, as I was barreling past at 90 mph, what if they remodeled the thing, and made it a high quality venue, at least on par with a Hilton. Clean, well-furnished, with a modern bathroom. Out in the sticks a bit, but close enough to local attractions in at least a couple directions to make it a relaxing stay. Maybe some woods or a creek out back for the kids to explore for a couple hours when you get back from doing the locally touristy stuff all day. Would you stay at a place like that?
    My wife and I have stayed at a couple of motels a little like you described in the past few years. There is one in Rockville just south of town, and one just south of all the touristy stuff in Shipshewana. We like those better than the big chains, but lots of places we go there aren’t any left.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    64   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Yep. I stay places like that, when driving across country by myself. When the family is along, we usually stay in a more mainstream place.

fullmetaljesus

Probably smoking a cigar.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    Indy
    Nope, I only stay in the main stream stuff and won't stay in a room that coat less than $135 a night bc I'm kind of a princess.

However when I was on the road with a band we stayed in all sorts of ****** places. I had no control over that so I rolled with it.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Yes i would as long as its not called the Bates Motel. Also have you ever watched Schitts Creek? Fixing motels is how they got out lol.
    Haven't seen Schitts Creek, but I know what you mean about Bates Motel.

The trips into these little towns were cool, don't get me wrong, but chasing polliwogs and fry in the creek was great fun, and exploring new woods that weren't the woods around my house was awesome. Skipping breakfasts and dinners to do this wasn't an issue, and I could wander off as a kid without worrying my Mom that I'd never be seen again. Different time.

I'd love to see a resurgence of quality motels, but I think they're going to continue being low cost out of the way hook up joints for girls in rusted out Pontimobiles and guys in clapped out pick 'em up trucks, who are most likely related to each other by blood, or related to other people by marriage. :):

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I've done piles of nights in Super 8s and their kin and most of the time it was fine. I'm not someone that needs to spend a mountain of cash on a room I'm going to stay in for 12 hours so I don't do the more premium places.

Independent places that look like this:

1630457726414.png

Nope.

I've stayed in nicer places on adjacent parts of the same property and observed wayyyyy too many shady dealings in those places. Plus, the "not normally" as sketchy cheap places are still pretty cheap. If you plan it right, $70 or less a night is possible.

---

What you're actually describing as far as a re-model or whatever would probably be better suited for something like cabins. Not many people are going to want to travel off of the beaten path to stay in a Hilton grade hotel in a one horse town. But a rustic cabin? Yeah, maybe.

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Yep. I stay places like that, when driving across country by myself. When the family is along, we usually stay in a more mainstream place.
    The few times I have travelled alone, I was happy to sleep in my car or truck, rather than try to find a building to sleep in.

Travelling with my wife and/or kids, I'm gonna get them a bed.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    Sure. I stayed in a kitchy motel on Route 66 in Kingsman, AZ for the nostalgia/fun factor. My advise is to check out reviews on Tripadvisor, Google reviews, etc. and to take a look at the area with Google Maps prior to booking. A not insignificant number of those places have become short term housing for people who are a step away from homelessness. Lots of drug use, petty theft, sex work, etc. Anywhere that advertises monthly rates, eject.

Usually the worst part of a cheap motel is the people who stay in cheap motels. I've stayed in some sketchy places over the years, but I'm willing to pay a higher rate for the reduced chance of having my truck broken into or having to shoot some MFer trying to rob me in the parking lot these days.

brentlacy

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    May 29, 2018
    Rockville
    My wife and I have stayed at a couple of motels a little like you described in the past few years. There is one in Rockville just south of town, and one just south of all the touristy stuff in Shipshewana. We like those better than the big chains, but lots of places we go there aren’t any left.
    There are two in Rockville that are pretty decent. The third is being converted to nice furnished apartments.

LEaSH

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    43   0   0
    Aug 10, 2009
    Indianapolis
    I've stopped in Kingman, Az some years back. I think I just found the place with the easiest truck parking. It wasn't too bad of a place.

California seems to have lots of those cool motels with a courtyard and pool - not always great conditions, but usually less per night than the newer renovated hotels.

Watertown NY (or Jamestown possibly?) I stayed in one of the less-than-modern motels, but it was well kept. Those places I keep track of for future travels (jic).
    I won't forget it because there was a massive ice storm and I was pretty green at driving trucks. Kinda fun.

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    I don’t even like being in Indy. It makes me uncomfortable. Staying in shady hotels would be a waste of money because I wouldn’t sleep a second.

Shady is a sliding scale when you're in a motel to make money. Plus... most petty criminals aren't armed and you would be. Proper fire power and a willingness to pay your bills can be pretty comforting sleep generators.

Fun side story from a "tipping it's toes in shady" motel experience: That was at a Super 8 I was staying there and at the time I smoked. I haven't seen anywhere with indoor smoking rooms in forever (and you wouldn't want one anyhow... it's as if all anyone ever did was smoke in them) so I was out having a smoke before bed. I'm keeping my eyes open and paying attention and standing in a well lit spot. I see a guy walking across the parking lot with his hands occupied. As he grows nearer I can see that one hand is carrying a big jug or something. He gets a bit closer and the other hand has a drinking glass in it... :dunno:

Guy approaches me and asks to bum a smoke. He doesn't appear to be a threat, plus his hands are full and exposed. Probably late 20s... I'd accuse him of being a Weezer wanna be if not for the gauges in his ears pulling him about 20 years forward in fashion. I figure it's not an issue to bum him and hand him my pack and lighter from my left jacket pocket while my right is in my right pocket with my firearm.

We smoke cigs... Turns out he's in town working on a house he bought to flip and just had dinner at the bar across the street and bought a growler of beer, on sale, and they gave him a ("clean"?) glass as a memento. He offered me a beer in exchange for the bums... I declined the first few offers, but after another cig or so I accepted. Dang good beer too... So, now I'm smoking cigs and drinking parking lot mystery beer with some stranger from Illinois whose name I'd already forgotten.

We chatted for awhile and I think he poured me two probably 20oz or larger beers. I gave him the rest of my pack and he slipped off into the night.

So... I slept just fine in the cheap motel that night! :)

Sigblaster

Soon...
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Indy
    Nope, I only stay in the main stream stuff and won't stay in a room that coat less than $135 a night bc I'm kind of a princess.

However when I was on the road with a band we stayed in all sorts of ****** places. I had no control over that so I rolled with it.
    There was this one time where we were offered the choice to get a Christmas present or have my Father in Law pay for lodging for us for the whole family (-) weekend trip the following summer.

I should have said "neither", because I'm too old to receive gifts from anyone, and too jaded to give gifts to anyone other than my kids and grankids.

Well, I told my wife that I didn't care, and she opted for the free lodging. What I didn't know was that her sister was arranging the whole thing. I've been burned by this sister thing in the past, and I should have Fing known Fing better. We end up at some $40 a night motel next to the highway. Admittedly it was pretty clean, and I wasn't afeared of getting scabies or some such. But they did spring for pool passes at the nearby Hilton. :n00b: It was nice that sister's kids got pool passes, and spent most of the day in there not interacting with anyone, and nobody else wanted to go into a confined indoor water attraction. But it was nice for her kids, the only kids in the family that would enjoy such a thing.

While there were some interesting aspects to our stay at those lodgings, including an attempted shakedown by a "trucker" who "lost his ride", and a proposition by a prostitute, and a domestic situation arising at about 2am from one guy getting caught with a girl in a room that was not his girlfiend (and she was beating him like a punk, and he was taking it like a punk), in general, I would have not have chosen that as a peaceful place to lay my head down.

Funny times, right? Except there's another sister in the picture. I'm sure it was a joint decision between the two that they would find the cheapest accomodations possible. Ok, I'm still on board, save dad some money, good on'ya. Until...

I found out that the two sisters had bet each other whether or not I would stay at the motel, or move my family to the Hilton, at my expense. I was about to move to the Hilton at that point, checking availabilty on my phone with limited service. When I heard about their comments, I was livid. I'm an Infantryman. These coddled girls and their submissive husbands aren't going to make me leave. F, I should have spent the rest of the weekend in a lean-to out back of the motel.

Hatin Since 87

Bacon Hater
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2018
    Mooresville
    Shady is a sliding scale when you're in a motel to make money. Plus... most petty criminals aren't armed and you would be. Proper fire power and a willingness to pay your bills can be pretty comforting sleep generators.

Fun side story from a "tipping it's toes in shady" motel experience: That was at a Super 8 I was staying there and at the time I smoked. I haven't seen anywhere with indoor smoking rooms in forever (and you wouldn't want one anyhow... it's as if all anyone ever did was smoke in them) so I was out having a smoke before bed. I'm keeping my eyes open and paying attention and standing in a well lit spot. I see a guy walking across the parking lot with his hands occupied. As he grows nearer I can see that one hand is carrying a big jug or something. He gets a bit closer and the other hand has a drinking glass in it... :dunno:

Guy approaches me and asks to bum a smoke. He doesn't appear to be a threat, plus his hands are full and exposed. Probably late 20s... I'd accuse him of being a Weezer wanna be if not for the gauges in his ears pulling him about 20 years forward in fashion. I figure it's not an issue to bum him and hand him my pack and lighter from my left jacket pocket while my right is in my right pocket with my firearm.

We smoke cigs... Turns out he's in town working on a house he bought to flip and just had dinner at the bar across the street and bought a growler of beer, on sale, and they gave him a ("clean"?) glass as a memento. He offered me a beer in exchange for the bums... I declined the first few offers, but after another cig or so I accepted. Dang good beer too... So, now I'm smoking cigs and drinking parking lot mystery beer with some stranger from Illinois whose name I'd already forgotten.

We chatted for awhile and I think he poured me two probably 20oz or larger beers. I gave him the rest of my pack and he slipped off into the night.

So... I slept just fine in the cheap motel that night! :)
    Uh. What’s a Weezer?

maxwelhse

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 21, 2018
    Michiana
    Uh. What’s a Weezer?

What's with these homies dissin my girl? Why do they gotta front?

Are you really too young to have seen Windows 95?

(Warning: Whatever monster recorded this did so at about 300% volume)

More typically, Weezer would have looked like this (which is what the beer smuggler looked like):

1630463071835.png

TLDR: A band you've heard, but never heard of. :)

Top Bottom