• Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Would you like to learn to do this?
    104_5063a_zps8e44b72f.jpg

That is three bullet holes in a quarter inch square from a range of 25 yards. If you would like to learn to do this too, I can tell you where, an Appleseed.

I had a new rifle with a freshly mounted scope on it. I didn’t have access to a bore sight, so I went out back thinking this could take awhile to zero in. I took 3 sighter shots. They were 5 inches high and 1 ½ inches to the right. Having learned by previously attending an Appleseed that at 25 yards a ¼ inch equals 1 Minute of Angle(MOA). So my calculations put me at 20 MOA high and 6 MOA to the right. My scope adjustments are at ¼ MOA per click, meaning I need to turn the turret 4 clicks to equal 1 MOA, which calculates into 80 clicks down and 24 clicks to the left.

You see the results. So, do you too want to be able to zero a rifle in just 6 shots? Do you want to learn about Minutes of Angle and Minutes Inches Clicks to adjust any sight you might come across? Do you want to learn how to put three bullets in the same hole using nothing but your rifle, a sling and your body? No fancy tricked out rifles, no bipods, sandbags or rests. This was just a plain jane run of the mill Marlin bolt action rifle.

If you do, then come to an Appleseed and meet some of Indiana’s finest instructors who will turn you into a true rifleman. Think you already are one? Prove it. What can be done at 25 yards will translate out to 100, 200….500 yards. ¼ inch equals 1 MOA at 25 yards, 1 inch equals 1 MOA at 100 yards and 5 inches equals 1 MOA at 500 yards. Can you hit a 5 inch target at 500 yards consistently? Actually a rifleman’s standard is 4 MOA, but it’s much cooler when you can hit 1 MOA targets. Can anyone tell me how many inches 4 MOA would be at 25, 100 and 500 yards?

Ladies, and youngsters this isn’t just for the men folks. I’m a Granny to three and if I can do it so can you. Many of the skills you will learn can easily be transferred to handgun skills too. Plus you get to hear our Great Heritage and how people stood up for Liberty told in story format.

Here is a link to the Indiana’s Appleseed Schedule.
    Here is Kentucky’s, Ohio’s, Illinois’ and Michigan’s for our bordering INGOers.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    That's so cool. Thanks for posting it. I'm planning on doing an Appleseed at the end of June with my boy. Have there been many young people at the Appleseeds you've attended?

eta: by "young people", I mean under 18 participants.

Last edited:

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Appleseed is exactly where I learned to do that very thing. Enjoyed both times I went, and look forward to doing it again.

Nice shooting, Rayne.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    That's so cool. Thanks for posting it. I'm planning on doing an Appleseed at the end of June with my boy. Have there been many young people at the Appleseeds you've attended?

eta: by "young people", I mean under 18 participants.

Yes, there seems to always be some young shooters at the Appleseeds. I'm bringing a brand new shooter, a ten yr old girl with me this weekend. Her brother who is twelve has gone to two Appleseeds with me already. Kids are the greatest at the seeds, so enthusiastic, eager to learn, and no inhibitions.

Constructionist

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    Yes, there seems to always be some young shooters at the Appleseeds. I'm bringing a brand new shooter, a ten yr old girl with me this weekend. Her brother who is twelve has gone to two Appleseeds with me already. Kids are the greatest at the seeds, so enthusiastic, eager to learn, and no inhibitions.

I attended one where a little guy about 8 was running a tricked-out Crickett. He was shooting off a sand bag so he wasn't technically in the running to qualify as Rifleman, but he was there gaining sound fundamentals. It was great to see.

A little later the shoot boss' daughter showed up - I don't think she was mućh older than 18, but she'd obviously grown up with a rifle in her hands. She worked with several of us on fundamentals and was quick to diagnose what needed corrected in our shooting form. One of the things I love about the shooting sports is that it's probably the most non-discriminatory activity out there with regard to age, gender, or physical attributes.

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011

Excellent! I'm hopeful that will be the case for the one we're going to.
    Thanks.

Rayne

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jan 3, 2011
    Former Tree Sniper
    Excellent! I'm hopeful that will be the case for the one we're going to.
    Thanks.

Last weekend at Nashville we had 4 younins and I think 6 ladies at the shoot. It was a very good mix of novice and experience shooters.

Another idea is to let your son invite a friend or hopefully a friend and their Mom. Make it a fun day for both of you.

UncleMike

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    NE area of IN
    Would you like to learn to do this?
    104_5063a_zps8e44b72f.jpg

That is three bullet holes in a quarter inch square from a range of 25 yards. If you would like to learn to do this too, I can tell you where, an Appleseed.

I had a new rifle with a freshly mounted scope on it. I didn’t have access to a bore sight, so I went out back thinking this could take awhile to zero in. I took 3 sighter shots. They were 5 inches high and 1 ½ inches to the right. Having learned by previously attending an Appleseed that at 25 yards a ¼ inch equals 1 Minute of Angle(MOA). So my calculations put me at 20 MOA high and 6 MOA to the right. My scope adjustments are at ¼ MOA per click, meaning I need to turn the turret 4 clicks to equal 1 MOA, which calculates into 80 clicks down and 24 clicks to the left.

You see the results. So, do you too want to be able to zero a rifle in just 6 shots? Do you want to learn about Minutes of Angle and Minutes Inches Clicks to adjust any sight you might come across? Do you want to learn how to put three bullets in the same hole using nothing but your rifle, a sling and your body? No fancy tricked out rifles, no bipods, sandbags or rests. This was just a plain jane run of the mill Marlin bolt action rifle.

If you do, then come to an Appleseed and meet some of Indiana’s finest instructors who will turn you into a true rifleman. Think you already are one? Prove it. What can be done at 25 yards will translate out to 100, 200….500 yards. ¼ inch equals 1 MOA at 25 yards, 1 inch equals 1 MOA at 100 yards and 5 inches equals 1 MOA at 500 yards. Can you hit a 5 inch target at 500 yards consistently? Actually a rifleman’s standard is 4 MOA, but it’s much cooler when you can hit 1 MOA targets. Can anyone tell me how many inches 4 MOA would be at 25, 100 and 500 yards?

Ladies, and youngsters this isn’t just for the men folks. I’m a Granny to three and if I can do it so can you. Many of the skills you will learn can easily be transferred to handgun skills too. Plus you get to hear our Great Heritage and how people stood up for Liberty told in story format.

Here is a link to the Indiana’s Appleseed Schedule.
    Here is Kentucky’s, Ohio’s, Illinois’ and Michigan’s for our bordering INGOers.
    Good shootin'!!
    I guess we'll have to start calling you Granny Oakley.....:D

Jeepcrazed

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 25, 2011
    Last weekend at Nashville we had 4 younins and I think 6 ladies at the shoot. It was a very good mix of novice and experience shooters.

Another idea is to let your son invite a friend or hopefully a friend and their Mom. Make it a fun day for both of you.

Exactly what I'm trying to do. I've extended several invitations and we're working to talk it up.
    Lots of interest, but none have committed yet. I'll keep working on it.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    If I had to recommend one BEST class for somebody who'd had no experience at all with guns, and they wanted to get their foot in the door in a two-day immersion session that would send them back home better-versed in marksmanship than many people who have been shooting their whole lives...this would be it.

You really can't do better.
    You'll spend $80 for two days (EDIT: actually, I think women and juniors get a reduced rate), cheaper than just about anything, you will be safe, you'll have a solid 16 hours of instruction, and you will go home being able to do more than you ever thought. You will probably even know enough to teach others a little bit, if you were so inclined.

No endless boring classroom talking head droning. You will learn the basic safety rules in a half-hour standup session at the beginning, then you'll go right into it on the range with knowledgeable instructors helping you every bit of the way. In an hour and fifteen minutes, you will be DOING IT, for real, even if you've never hit anything in your life.

Absolute best investment in marksmanship training going. This program is so well-done, you could just about send your 12 year-old daughter to it, unsupervised, (although please don't do that - you want to go too), and know that everything would be fine. The A/S instructors are professional in every sense of the word, even though they're just committed volunteers, and you're in good hands. No commandos, no tactical teds (ok, maybe a couple secret ones:):), just the best training program available for the money in my opinion.

It's rifle-based, but once you've done it and applied yourself to learning the fundamentals, you're ready to begin working on handguns with just a few minor additions, if you want. (And what a conversation-starter for your next shooting get-together...pull out a few of these Appleseed "Red Coat" targets, set them up at 25 yds...and ask the "know it all shooters" in your circle of acquaintances, who have never been to an Appleseed, to step up and test how far their effective range as a rifleman is, using 13 shots with a .22 rifle at 25 yds...no bench rest, no bipods...then sit back and watch the reactions).

Highly-recommended...just do it!

Last edited:

db1959

Resident Dumbass I
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 4, 2011
    In a garage
    No way that is a plain jane rifle. It was blessed by Sunshine. sunshineemo.jpg

That is some great shooting.

teddy12b

Grandmaster
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    40   0   0
    Nov 25, 2008
    It's on the internet.... everyone can shoot like that. When the new Marlin LTR rifles come out I'll be buying a couple for my nephew's. They need to learn how to shoot like that.

Top Bottom