Would you be justified in using deadly force?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • MarkM

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 25, 2010
    Brownsburg
    I'm 19 yo and the things kids do nowadays make ME sick. The things I see people my age doing is unheard of. But its not just kids my age. Their is kids around avon(I remember this from Middle school). A kid told me he was going to break in my house. I told him that wouldn't be a good idea. I was the only guy in my house with my mom and sister, so I had my hunting shotgun loaded in my room. He said he and his buddies stole a pistol and were going to kill me. Kids are unreal now days. They make me look bad.

revance

Expert
    Rating - 88.9%
    8   1   0
    Jan 25, 2009
    Zionsville
    As our wonderful Sheriff once said... (paraphrased) never assume the attacker will be a man, and never assume it will be an adult. Assumptions like those cause hesitation that could cost you your life.

I'm sure in Indiana you would either have no charges filed or be acquitted.

kramnor54

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2010
    sometimes you dont get a second chance to make the right choice somebody else may make it for you defend yourself by all reasonable means

SSGSAD

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Dec 22, 2009
    Town of 900 miles
    Buffalo, in Indy, a few years ago, at a Mikes car wash, on Lafayette rd.,
    I think, a Marine was home on leave, took his car to get it washed, and
    some guy tried to run him over, couple shots, and it was over... Marine not charged... if I remember right...

slars1327

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 14, 2010
    SPEEDWAY AREA
    Fear for ones life can also be totally in ones mind. If someone can show/prove that the situation genuinely had the person fearing for their life it could satisfy the statute. It does depend on many things but usually the prosecutor will almost always look very hard at the shoot. Remember one thing if you ever are in a situation where you had to shoot....... tell the officer.....over and over and over that "I thought i was gonna die.....**** I really thought I was dead.....) . Do not say " the punk had it comming or I wasn't going to let him pull his gun on me". The macho comments after a shoot could end up being repeated and twisted in a trial against you. And remember the most important thing of all " YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT" exercise that right if you are unsure or confused or just plain scared sh&*&&&less.

Libertarian01

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jan 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    To All,

I strongly believe in the intent of many old, good laws written.

I am also a reasonable believer in prosecutorial discretion.

However, in the very end I believe strongly in a trial by a jury and jury nullification!

Show me someone charged with shooting one of those hoodlums in the defense of another human being and if I am on that jury nullification will occur.

Regards,

Doug

schafe

Master
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    Oct 15, 2009
    Monroe Co.
    Disparity of force is what I see in these cases, and it is legal justification for using deadly force. Undoubtedly, a 73 year old man should fear for his life in this situation, to say nothing of severe bodily harm.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    Fear for ones life can also be totally in ones mind. If someone can show/prove that the situation genuinely had the person fearing for their life it could satisfy the statute. It does depend on many things but usually the prosecutor will almost always look very hard at the shoot. Remember one thing if you ever are in a situation where you had to shoot....... tell the officer.....over and over and over that "I thought i was gonna die.....**** I really thought I was dead.....) . Do not say " the punk had it comming or I wasn't going to let him pull his gun on me". The macho comments after a shoot could end up being repeated and twisted in a trial against you. And remember the most important thing of all " YOU HAVE THE RIGHT TO REMAIN SILENT" exercise that right if you are unsure or confused or just plain scared sh&*&&&less.
    the indiana code, im not looking it up right now, allows you to be in fear for your life "in your own eyes" meaning even if you werent in danger at the time but sincerely thought you were, you are still justified. when is that relevent? well someone holding a very realistic looking toy gun and pointing it at you. you have no idea its fake, so you defend yourself b/c you were in fear for your life "in your own eyes" meanwhile the whole time you were not in danger. LEOs have come across this situation several times.

as for the second part of your post. excercise your right to remain silent and call a lawyer.

U.S. Patriot

Grandmaster
    Rating - 87.5%
    7   1   0
    Jan 30, 2009
    Columbus
    As citizens we carry a gun for a reason. If I feel my life is threatened, or someones else's is. Then I'm going to do what I have to. It's situational to point. Obviously you do not want to further endanger others, if there is no need to. However if we do not stand up, for those who can not themselves. Who will? Who knows when the police, if they do, will arrive on scene.

Top Bottom