• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Today at the range we decided to play with some more realistic looking targets and some 3D targets. Today we were specifically playing with head shots. We plan to look for some body targets as well.

I went down to Hobby Lobby and bought a couple of these:

7238593068_5095fa85e6.jpg

The male head was $10.00. The alien head (female) was $5.00. I was skeptical of how they would hold up on the range. I was pleasantly surprised.

We set it up like this:

7238592844_489157efc8.jpg

We started out with a couple of FAST drills to get going.

7238592722_1676d8a5cb.jpg

The stick that holds the head on kind of worked to approximate a mock spinal column in the upper chest. (Or that's how I am justifying screwing up my target in my first drill. :))

7238592566_8844c1ca7a.jpg

After that we moved on and just started experimenting with the head as a target from different perspectives and looking at the through path of the bullet through the head, trying to give some analysis to which parts of the head were bony and difficult to penetrate.

7238593814_1acc3c44d7.jpg

7238593620_3de1e1a9ce.jpg

For people training and practicing to shoot in defensive or combat type situations it seems important to recognize that the body is three dimensional target and that point of aim for the most effective shots is going to change depending on your visual perspective of the target and its orientation to you. This was one attempt for us to do that and bring it in to our practice on the range.

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    shot placement there is entirely optimal, actually.

Those are zones where the bone is the thinnest.

-J-

I guess I was thinking directly into the inside corner of an eye or between the eyes being optimal. The often talked about "occular window" which they say is the best path to the brain stem. However, I would be more than happy with those shots in practice. :-)

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    We are also playing with photographic targets (I recognize that shot placement here is not optimal):

7238593204_52732695db.jpg

I guess I was thinking directly into the inside corner of an eye or between the eyes being optimal. The often talked about "occular window" which they say is the best path to the brain stem. However, I would be more than happy with those shots in practice. :-)

The ONLY one of those rounds that I would have ANY concern over making a one shot drop would be the very bottom one that appears where the mouth would be. It is entirely feasible to sever the spinal column through the mouth but it is not as likely to cause (or as easy to achieve) the one shot drop. The eye shot is still very likely to perform because it is still within the "width" of the cerebellum (provided it penetrates far and straight enough.)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    The ONLY one of those rounds that I would have ANY concern over making a one shot drop would be the very bottom one that appears where the mouth would be. It is entirely feasible to sever the spinal column through the mouth but it is not as likely to cause (or as easy to achieve) the one shot drop. The eye shot is still very likely to perform because it is still within the "width" of the cerebellum (provided it penetrates far and straight enough.)

I agree. Always room for improvement, though. :-)

In addition to my specific shot placement, other aspects of these type of targets worth discussing are:

1. Some would argue that shooting at more humanoid looking targets conditions people to be less hesitant to shoot real people when necessary. Goes to mindset.

2. The body as a 3D target. As you discussed, what you are shooting at is not on the surface, but in the middle. Depending on angle and orientation of the target, point of aim must change to achieve optimal effect.

3. Anatomical barriers. Bony masses in the skull, arm and shoulder from the side, etc.

This type of range exercise is one way we try to incorporate these things. I was hoping others might share their methods. Or come in and say its all silly and unnecessary. :-)

Jackson

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 31, 2008
    West side of Indy
    Seems like it would be helpful, although I would ask, do you practice shooting to the back of the head?

The way a person's head is oriented at the moment I have the opportunity to shoot is not necessarily an indicator of whether he is a threat to me or someone else. I think it is important to understand the anatomy of the human body and how that plays in to point of aim from any angle.

I was first introduced to this concept in depth in Doc Gunn's Tactical Treatment of Gunshot Wounds class. He has a good block on this. Probably the best coverage of these concepts I have seen in a class.

the1kidd03

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Jul 19, 2011
    somewhere
    1. Some would argue that shooting at more humanoid looking targets conditions people to be less hesitant to shoot real people when necessary.
    Sounds like a "left wing" argument. :D

If you train at ALL, you are in essence preparing for human combatants. That inherently makes the need for training to be as realistic as possible.

Top Bottom