• Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Ltemfly4

Plinker
    Apr 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    I have been a loyal and faithful customer of this gun shop for a little while now, and have brought in some business for them as well. I have always been treated very well by the staff, and they have always answered all my questions thoroughly. That being said......
    I went in on Sat. 4-23, and was interested in trading one of my handguns + cash for a pistol. A gentleman with all gray hair and glasses was working with a gentleman that had only been there like 2 days. I was looking a ATI Titan compact 1911. They said they would take my gun plus 200 for the gun. I told them Id have to think about it and come back. Well they were closed Sun. And Mon. So I was one of the first customer's in on Tue. After over an hour drive up there, I told someone I was in there on Sat. And told them u thought about and wanted
    To take the deal, and they wanted to give me like half of what they said just sat. And jacked the price up to make me pay 300! I told them who
    I talked to and everything and they just basically blew me off. They didn't even offer to call the 2 guys I was talking to.
    I know my little old self doesn't make any difference if I buy a gun or not, but it was just the way they acted like I was lying and didn't hold true on their word! I felt so disrespected. I am so upset I wasted
    Half a day to get this gun, and they just kind of kicked
    Me
    Out the door.
    The manager didn't even come over and talk to me about it. My feeling is if you offer a deal to someone and they are expecting that when they go in, you hold firm on that to keep your word. I know I am babbling but I was
    Just SO dissapointed!

dom1104

Shooter
    Mar 23, 2010
    Frankly, if I plan on not taking someones verbal offer on the spot, and plan to go think about it for a while, I get a written quote.

Just sayin. How long is a shop supposed to honor a verbal offer made by a weekend employee?

2 days? 3? 5? 10? a month? 5 months? Till the customer walks out the door?

Simon6101

Master
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    Sorry

When you were at the shop as already stated, When you decided that you wanted to mull it over then you should have asked for the verbal offer in writing. We have never had a problem with writing the deal on a business card, dating it and then intialing it. We will stand by the offer this way and know exactly who you dealt with.
    We have no way of knowing what happens between the customer and staff when purchasing or trading a firearm when it is only verbal until it is put into writing.

Hoosier9

Shooter
    Feb 27, 2011
    If this is Bradis gun shop, they get a lot of traffic in and out, and it would have been best to get the deal in writing. Especially if you are driving an hour to get there.

Alternately, the moral of the story may be, "You snooze, you lose." Gun values fluctuate. Not as bad as oil prices, but they do go up and down. I've seen M&P pistols for $399 in the past, and I've seen them for $550. You pay your money, and you take your chances.

sbcman

Master
    Dec 29, 2010
    Southwest Indiana
    Never had this situation happen, but that's because when I look to make a deal I know exactly what I want in terms of trade/cash. If their offer matches that, I take it. If not, I walk and forget about it.

In the gun world, you pretty much have to have this mindset when dealing with shops. I'm not saying the shop was in the right here, but I am saying if the deal was good enough on Tuesday, it was good enough on Saturday.

Did you talk to the owner? If your history with them is as you say it is, you could possible get the deal by dealing with him.

Scutter01

Grandmaster
    Mar 21, 2008
    Seems like just anyone could walk in off the street and say "I was here three days ago and some guy whose name I don't know offered me $X for my gun." Should have gotten it in writing. I've always worked by the principle that the offer is only good until I walk out the door, unless I have it in writing, usually with a deadline: "Offer good for 5 days" or somesuch.

Ltemfly4

Plinker
    Apr 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    It was Bradi's. And like I said they knew who I was talking about who offered the deal. I if they didn't believe me, they could have called either of the two guys who I talked too. I was there before they closed on sat. And was in the very next business day in fact I think the third person in the door. If I thought they would go back on their word I would have got it in writing! But thought they would honor what they said. If that helps clarify.

redneckmedic

Grandmaster
    Jan 20, 2009
    Greenfield
    Interesting observation about this thread...

If the store would have ended up being.....

Pop's- You would have seen a firing squad, old hat, yeah that sounds like them, bunch of jerks, never go there again, should have went to XYZ.

Don's- You would have seen a firing squad, old hat, yeah that sounds like them, bunch of jerks, never go there again, should have went to XYZ.

PSS-Lots of second guessing and excuses made on behalf of the store/owner. That's because it is rare for folks to go there and have a bad experience. They have a very good rep on INGO.

BGF-Lots of second guessing and excuses made on behalf of the store/owner. That's because it is rare for folks to go there and have a bad experience. They have a very good rep on INGO.

Bradis- Lots of second guessing and excuses made on behalf of the store/owner. That's because it is rare for folks to go there and have a bad experience. They have a very good rep on INGO, which IMO is the most tested route for reviews. Kind of an Angie's List for gun stores. As noted above, this was clearly a misunderstanding or just poor communication on both sides of the counter. But at worst, even the best of places have a bad day or don't get it right 100% of the time.

Ltemfly4

Plinker
    Apr 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    See even someone from Bradi's had posted on here and basically telling me I am lying. Without even talking to the people I dealt with. Like I said the last gentleman I talked too knew exactly who I was talking about. They could have talked to either of the two gentlemen I worked with in sat.

Ltemfly4

Plinker
    Apr 22, 2011
    Indianapolis
    If I thought in a place of business I would need someone to write a an 'offer' on a business card???? I would have done that obviously. Even someone from Bradi's has posted on here and basically said I was lying. Without even offering to talk to the two gentleman I dealt with. Just very disappointed.

Simon6101

Master
    May 3, 2008
    Sw Indy(Camby)
    That is not what I said

Sir, I never "acted as if you were lying" if you would have read the complete statement

We get people coming in every day saying they talked to so and so. If they didn't ask for it in writing we have no way of verifying the conversation.
    I know that when I make an offer to someone if they don't accept it right then, chances are unless it is something very unusual I am not going to remember what we talked about 3 days later. That is why we will always put it in writing with a date and initial on a written offer. Most people after declining an offer will never come back to take us up on the offer. We tell everyone that we deal with that you will always make better money selling it to a private individual.

I don't know about you but when I am off work I don't expect phone calls at home from my place of employment.

Clay

Grandmaster
    Aug 28, 2008
    Vigo Co
    I think your taking this just a little to personal. I don't think the Bradis employee was calling you a lair.

Next time you go to any store and get a price on something like this, with a trade in and a cash price, get it in writing. Be it a gun store, a "car store", or even a "house store" ;) , get it in writing. It's just a good practice called CYA.

FERLACH

Sharpshooter
    Nov 28, 2010
    Plainfield
    Most gun stores will allow you 50% to 60% of what they feel they can sell your gun for. If your gun is in high demand and hard to get, they might allow you a little more. They must make money or they wont be in business very long.

indykid

Grandmaster
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    Ltemfly4 from another thread said:
    I have purchased a couple firearms from Bradi's, and have been very pleased with their service and prices! They are very knowledgable and willing to answer ANY questions you might have. I have brought a couple of family members as well who have purchased from Bradi's and they were impressed as well. They will also work with you in trades. Which I will hopefully be getting that ATI compact 1911 this week True Professionals!!!!

How about chalk this one up to something learned in the school of hard knocks. When doing business with anyone, always get an offer in writing.

Lucas156

Master
    Mar 20, 2009
    Greenwood
    Bradis is a good store. Sell your gun on INGO and take the money and go buy the gun you wanted. No harm no foul. As far as you driving a longer distance than normal each way what do you want them to do? Give you a discount because they inconvenienced you by not being close enough?

Top Bottom