• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    My wife had shot revolvers before when she was a kid, and one day she called me at work and asked how to load my AR 223. I asked her what she was shooting? Thought maybe a coyote or ground hog. She just told me to tell her how to load the gun and we could talk later. I couldn’t wait to get home, when I asked her what she had shot she was so happy to show me her kill. A dam little chipmunk. Told her that a 223 was a little overkill. But she didn’t care , she liked the scope and that’s all she said, now she was hooked . Would not shoot a 22 after that. Always grabbed my 223 until I bought her a 223 of her own. Dead eye out to a 100 yards. Shoots a 223 casing off fence post at 100 yards. I can’t. Last count of year was 17 chipmunks for her. Lol they were waving a white flag!

Attachments

• 7EEFE498-78B0-453B-B291-6FB928C5BC59.jpeg
      7EEFE498-78B0-453B-B291-6FB928C5BC59.jpeg
      870.1 KB · Views: 56

Mason513

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 15, 2020
    NWI
    Wish my wife would get into shooting more, she’s great with a pistol, just doesn’t have an interest in it.

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    Even with a 10x fixed scope I can barely see it, she has better eyes than me. To top it off the gun is dialed in at 100yds with ballistic tip cartridges. Wouldn’t shoot full metal jacket or reloads. All kills were 25-75 yds. I need good glass to see

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    I would love to do that, when I told her you suggested prairie dog hunting she thought that would be fun. I think it would be great. Thanks for the thought. Is there a preferred caliber when shooting dogs? I’ve heard of guys going and having a blast. Was wanting to go west this summer on a road trip with the wife, might have to check into that.

red_zr24x4

UA#190
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 14, 2009
    Walkerton
    I would love to do that, when I told her you suggested prairie dog hunting she thought that would be fun. I think it would be great. Thanks for the thought. Is there a preferred caliber when shooting dogs? I’ve heard of guys going and having a blast. Was wanting to go west this summer on a road trip with the wife, might have to check into that.
    We took everything from .22 to 300 win mag.
    Start off close with the 22 and work your way out to the biggest caliber you want to take

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    We shoot .17 HMR, .17 Fireball, .204, & .223. All bolt guns but lots of guys shoot ARs. I tend to burn through ammo to quickly with an AR. We take 8 rifles and 3K rds of ammo for a 2 day shoot. We always bring ammo home but you don't want to run out while you're out there. As for 5.56, every place we've shot prohibits FMJ.

Last edited:

toyotaslave

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 22, 2011
    Princeton
    .223/.556 is plenty enough. If you want to try longer shots try a .22-250 (If your wife likes that you're out big time money on ammo!!)
    Your post here got me looking into 22-250 out of curiosity. It is a bit pricey (but what isn't right now) but I had no idea it could push over 4200 ft/sec! Down the rabbit hole I go!

DRob

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Aug 2, 2008
    Southside of Indy
    Duuuuude..... 3000 rounds of 22 250?... I'm thinking a guy could hand roll 3000 rounds of .223 or 5.56 a heck of a lot less expensively.
    If you're referring to my reply..........Negative on the 3000 rds of 22-250. Had one, didn't like it, got rid of it. I load all the centerfire calibers I listed and the 3K figure is the total of all calibers. Usually includes 500 rds of .17 HMR as well.

I agree that a .223 would/could do the job but it's really easy to heat up a barrel to the point of damaging it in a good dog town. You can heat 'em up much quicker than they cool down. Haven't seen this kind of shooting for a few years but we've had trips when my wife and I each shot 1K rds in one day. Thus, several rifles.

Horsetrader

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 24, 2021
    Northern indiana
    Thanks for the info,I’m going to have to look into this a little deeper. DRob must have had some great trips out west. How much time does a guy need to take to make a successful dog hunt? At five hundred rounds a day ,a piece, at today’s rate I’m not going to be out there very long. Lol I can’t imagine how fun that would be? if you had a group of three or four people do a hunt like your talking about, what do you think excluding ammo would a quick trip out and back cost a person? I think I’m interested in putting a little trip together. Sure as hell ain’t going to be no Hawaii trip.

Top Bottom