• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Rick Mason

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 13, 2019
    Lake County
    Searched various different ways and didn't see this posted...

A woman has died after being wounded in an apparent accidental shooting at a gun range, police said.

The woman was pronounced dead at a hospital after she was taken off of life support, said Assistant Police Chief Kosta Nuses said. Nuses said that she died Dec. 31 and that the investigation is ongoing. No charges had been filed as of Friday relating to the incident.

Merrillville police were dispatched about 6:40 p.m. Dec. 22 to Shoot Point Blank in the 8700 block of Louisiana Street for a report of a gunshot victim, police said.

Officers arrived and found a woman had been shot in the head inside the gun range, he said.

Two off-duty paramedics, who happened to be in the range, immediately administered first aid for the woman. They continued until on-duty paramedics arrived and took the woman to a hospital, he said.

Police reviewed video footage from the range and determined the shooting appeared to be accidental, Nuses said. There was no indication of "malicious intent," he said.

d.kaufman

Still Here
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    128   0   0
    Mar 9, 2013
    Hobart
    It definitely happened. They kind of kept it quite at first thinking suicide and didn't want copycats. Search the NWI Ingo thread and there's links there.

Also could probably search the Hammond Times or Regional News for articles

Gunmetalgray

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 14, 2021
    not lost, wandering...
    Really wish that instead of hiding what happens in these cases, an effort would be made to turn the unfortunate events into learning/teaching opportunities.

Just spit-balling but like those "do not walk" type signs showing the concept of always standing side by side at the range and not front to back, or whatever took place. Or use a sports reference like 'no off-sides' as in hockey; i.e. nobody should be ahead of the firearm sort of thing. Some way of illustrating what not to do based on what happened that could lead to breaking one of the basic rules. Hate the thought of someone possibly being injured or killed if they were indeed trying to learn the right way.

edwea

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    27   0   0
    Jan 25, 2015
    New Dolan
    Are there range officers at indoor ranges usually? I've never shot at an indoor range, but would imagine there would be a reason to have them.

NHT3

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    53   0   0
    I can't count the number of times I chastised people for pointing guns at themselves and others when RSOing. More often than not I was told "it's not loaded" or scowled at for disrespecting them (that was the perception) in front of others.. I am honestly surprised we don't read about this more often. Don't want to threadjack but this give me fodder for another thread I've been considering for a while..

Thegent219

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Oct 17, 2020
    Hobart
    Are there range officers at indoor ranges usually? I've never shot at an indoor range, but would imagine there would be a reason to have them.
    They do have staff in the range area, everytime I go there they always on my back lol, I seen shady gun safety with gun onwers and always ask to not to be next to anybody.

Ark

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Feb 18, 2017
    Indy
    Yes. But it is a physical impossibility to watch every person 100% of the time. With the volume of stupid that happens on ranges, something will get through eventually.

Top Bottom