Not open for further replies.

Que

Meekness ≠ Weakness
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 98%
    48   1   0
    Feb 20, 2009
    Blacksburg
    Not just directed at you, but can we stop with this? This is a thread, a story, that should be discussed on many levels. One being it's a rare event to happen on our soil, and a big one at that. The other being that it had defensive gun use, something we all praise. Hoping, or assuming, the thread will be locked/silenced tends to expedite the process... and I'd prefer this one stay alive, and the admins/mods not rush to that conclusion. If people here focus on a part of this story too much, and say things out of hand... I'd rather it be dealt with on a post-by-post basis instead of the entire thread being shut down.

Also, Que has blessed it, somewhat: https://www.indianagunowners.com/fo...~~~-who-banned-today-~~~-189.html#post5316439

Now, back to the topic. The man was wounded, not killed. He's in stable condition.

To be clear, I agreed with your discussing this as long as religion is avoided. I've not "blessed" anything, but simply pointed out the rule.

JetGirl

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    May 7, 2008
    N/E Corner
    To be clear, I agreed with your discussing this as long as religion is avoided. I've not "blessed" anything, but simply pointed out the rule.
    Man, I don't care if it's serial murder for not accepting a religion or for not accepting Jello with gross fruit chunks in it.
    If it's factual news of a violent trend that we should ALL be aware of, shame on ANY of you who say "hush up about it".
    That's just unconscionable!

Birds Away

ex CZ afficionado.
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Aug 29, 2011
    Monticello
    Man, I don't care if it's serial murder for not accepting a religion or for not accepting Jello with gross fruit chunks in it.
    If it's factual news of a violent trend that we should ALL be aware of, shame on ANY of you who say "hush up about it".
    Every playing field has it's own ground rules. We are the visitors and the home team makes those rules. We either abide by them or we don't get to play.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis

And that's the thing. I'm fine with not focusing on this guy's religious affiliation. But there should be a roundabout way to discuss the act, and the response to it, without stepping on eggshells.

I'm using general terms in my posts, like "convert" and "religion", without specifying anything. That's probably the safest we can get here.

As an aside - With ISIS calling for more homegrown supporters in the US to act on their behalf... anyone telling me I don't need my guns can sod right off.

Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Jan 21, 2013
    Lawrence County
    I'm thinking any tool necessary for behedding is going to be much harder to conceal than my concealed neutralizer. Anyone I notice with the hardware to get that job done goes to code red on the SA scale.

Does it - in the final analylsis - matter what the reason was? There is a threat. Prudence dictates a response plan.

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Killing someone for refusing to convert defines terrorism... so... domestic terrorism.
    Not to nitpick (although you probably know by now that I will on this subject) it may not be. I mean, "terrorism" is generally meant to be tied to some sort of political goal. The IRA wanted the British out of Ireland. The various Palestinian groups want either their own homeland or to be rid of Israel (or some combination). Al Qaeda wants/wanted the US out of the Middle East. Even if you want to look at domestic terrorists, Oklahoma City was linked to federal LEO enforcement.

This may have had, in part, a religious motivation, but that does not necessarily make it terrorism. If there is ultimately a link to IS/AQ, then it would count.

BigBoxaJunk

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Feb 9, 2013
    East-ish

Important to note:

If I try to get people to accept my offering of Jello with gross fruit chunks, and then murder someone who declines, we probably shouldn't jump to the conclusion that the Jello company (or Bill Cosby) in any way supports or condones my actions.

It also would be probably not necessary to remove all Jello products from store shelves and school lunches.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    This may have had, in part, a religious motivation, but that does not necessarily make it terrorism. If there is ultimately a link to IS/AQ, then it would count.

Yeah, fair enough. His personal motivations may come to light eventually, given that he's still alive... but we'll see what happens, I guess.

SkullDaddy.45

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 25, 2012
    0hio
    Having a daughter and wife so far from me right now is scareing the bejezzus out of me. This story has just changed my life plans. I was going to try to open a few businesses in Michigan and Wisconsin and travel between them two states and Ohio. Not now. Family is always first priority. JetGirl hit it on the nose! It's time to lock and load!! We better wake up in this country. It's not just happening in hard to pronounce countries anymore. To quote a little girl in an old movie who also had to deal with demons " There here!"

Status
    Not open for further replies.
    Top Bottom