• ...and so much more!
  • SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Social media starting to hum with the message of strong winds, low temps and areas of high snowfall in Northern Indiana over the next 48 hours. Also predicting lots of power outages.

SnoopLoggyDog

I'm a Citizen, not a subject
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    63   0   0
    Feb 16, 2009
    Warsaw
    Rain too! I've been getting the Freehold prepared for potential power outages. Got the Generators started up and filled....a goody quantity of firewood brought in. Also got heat lamps set for the livestock if all we have to deal with is freezing temperatures.
    Changed the oil and fuel in the generator and snowblower. Filled up the gas cans and the cars. Propane heaters are ready. It's nice being retired and ready for whatever happens.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    I don't *think* we'll need it, but I started the generator (bought new in the summer) and filled up a can of gas for it and got some gas for the leafblower in case I need to blow off the driveway Saturday.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    I don't know if INGO has made me more prepared or more paranoid. Here, they're calling for 1.5" of rain, and maybe an inch or two of snow. 50-60 mph wind gusts are somewhat of a concern, but I never would've worried about them before.
    That's prepared, not paranoid. Nothing wrong with being ready for what mother nature throws your way.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    That's prepared, not paranoid. Nothing wrong with being ready for what mother nature throws your way.
    That's true. Honestly, the power outage we had back at the end of June (which prompted my generator purchase) was the longest outage we've ever had. Normally it's a matter of an hour or less, but that one would have resulted in food loss if I hadn't kept the refrigerators going. I still don't have a transfer switch, so it meant running extension cords, but we got by.

I just put my deep cycle battery on the charger. That's been my go-to (with an inverter) for minor power outages. I can run the tv/internet/phone and one light with that at least.

bobzilla

Mod in training (in my own mind)
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Nov 1, 2010
    Brownswhitanon.
    I don't know if INGO has made me more prepared or more paranoid. Here, they're calling for 1.5" of rain, and maybe an inch or two of snow. 50-60 mph wind gusts are somewhat of a concern, but I never would've worried about them before.
    50-60? That sounds like a normal day in the flatlands of southern Boone county.

bocefus78

Master
    Rating - 100%
    39   0   0
    Apr 9, 2014
    Hamilton Co.
    That's true. Honestly, the power outage we had back at the end of June (which prompted my generator purchase) was the longest outage we've ever had. Normally it's a matter of an hour or less, but that one would have resulted in food loss if I hadn't kept the refrigerators going. I still don't have a transfer switch, so it meant running extension cords, but we got by.

I just put my deep cycle battery on the charger. That's been my go-to (with an inverter) for minor power outages. I can run the tv/internet/phone and one light with that at least.
    I've also not needed my genny for more than 12 hours thankfully but me being prepared kept a gone but not forgotten ingo member indygunguy and his family with power and air conditioning for days when he needed it.

I won't forget the look he gave me when he came to get the genny and I MADE him take my window ac unit and all my extension cords. Made my day.

jerrob

Master
    Rating - 100%
    17   0   0
    Mar 1, 2013
    Cumberland Plateau
    Changed the oil and fuel in the generator and snowblower. Filled up the gas cans and the cars. Propane heaters are ready. It's nice being retired and ready for whatever happens.
    Indeed it is.
    I get myself ready when bad weather is imminent and then go check on my neighbors who are equally retired and prepared.
    It's everything I made fun of my pops for when I was a punk kid.

Last edited:
    Top Bottom