• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Hulberr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 15, 2021
    Angola
    Due to recoil my wife will only shoot a 22LR pistol for target or defence, so afew years ago she chose a Ruger SR22 which has proven to be very dependable. It's been loaded up with Remington golden bullet 36gr hollow points since we got it. Today I bought a box of Winchester 37gr segmenting silver tip hollow points. Function was no diffrent than the Remington, but accuracy was a little better. What the opinion of the group, is the "defence" 22LR really any better than a "regular" high velosity hollow point or just a marketing gimmick? IMG_5082.jpg

Bigtanker

Cuddles
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Aug 21, 2012
    Osceola
    Gimmick. CCI brought out the PUNCH ammo earlier this year. This is probably a reaction to that.

22 sucks as a SD round. Period. A hollow point will slow penetration, if it opens at all. Penetration is the most important.

Find a brand that goes bang as often as possible.

patience0830

.22 magician
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 96.6%
    28   1   0
    Nov 3, 2008
    Not far from the tree
    I do not wish to be shot with any type of .22 lr ammunition. A single round of .22lr fired from a 2" bbl, accidentally, put my 13 y/o brother in his grave. Will it stop a drugged up dindunuffin bent on destruction? Depends. Do I depend on it when there are better options? I do not. Pick what goes bang reliably. Arm her with as many as a magazine will hold. Tell her to shoot until empty then reload and assess. Ask her to try and learn to shoot a larger caliber.

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I'd suggest getting 40gr solid RN ammunition. HP in a pistol act like solid and don't expand. 40gr CCI ammunition. Eley force is a 42gr bullet that you can use. 22lr needs penetration. The segmented rd only goes in about 4-6" if it doesn't hit bone. I'll find a ballistic gel test to show you.
    They are excellent varmint killers, but they don't have the penetration needed against bad guys.

Change it out monthly. My dad carried CCI Mini mags in his little Phoenix for a year and the first 3rd in the magazine would not fire at all. He only uses it for around the property so not a huge deal. He has a hatred of copperhead snakes.
    So if you carry 22lr ammo for self-defense Change it at least monthly because they go bad over time and perspiration is probably at fault.

Israeli Mossad agents used 22lr very effectively. However, they are highly trained.

Last edited:

DadSmith

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Oct 21, 2018
    Ripley County
    I do not wish to be shot with any type of .22 lr ammunition. A single round of .22lr fired from a 2" bbl, accidentally, put my 13 y/o brother in his grave. Will it stop a drugged up dindunuffin bent on destruction? Depends. Do I depend on it when there are better options? I do not. Pick what goes bang reliably. Arm her with as many as a magazine will hold. Tell her to shoot until empty then reload and assess. Ask her to try and learn to shoot a larger caliber.
    That's horrible sorry for you loss.

Top Bottom