• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    Dropped an 8 pointer this morning with my Win 94 in 357 mag. Distance was about 60 yds. He ran about another 30 yds and dropped. I used a Hornady 158 gr. XTP over 16.7 gr. W296 in a Federal case with a CCI Mag primer. It definitely got the job done!

hemicharger

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   1
    Mar 14, 2008
    Anywhere
    I took this guy yesterday with my Marlin 1894 loaded with 180gr XTP over 13gr of 2400.
    b37b2c79.jpg

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    Back when they first introduced the AE 94s I bought one in .357 and completely freaked when I saw how flat shooting these things are. The .357 has always been a good cartridge in a revolver but in a rifle barrel it's incredible. Sighted at 50 yards it's still shooting pretty flat out to 100 yards or a little more. And as Hemi said with a 180 gr. bullet over 2400 it'll do a fine job on deer sized game. I also picked up a 94 in .44 Mag. and I love it too but the .357 will shoot circles around it. I don't plan on ever selling mine. Maybe the revolvers but not that Winchester.

gabrigger

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Apr 20, 2008
    Wayne County
    .357 in a rifle is a whole new world for this round. I chronoed the load at 1800 fps. It definitely is a flat shooter out to 50 yds or so. I was really impressed by the terminal effect of the XTP on the deer.

eric001

Vaguely well-known member
    Rating - 100%
    9   0   0
    Apr 3, 2011
    Indianapolis
    Great shot!! I'm still looking for the first chance to bag one with my '94 in 44. Tried to take one shot last week, but some idiot (not naming names, but finger points at self) forgot to push the safety off. Egads. Looking for a chance to redeem myself for THAT little screwup!!! In any case, congrats on downing a nice one!!

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    Tried to take one shot last week, but some idiot (not naming names, but finger points at self) forgot to push the safety off.

Years of tree rat hunting with pre cross safety lever action rifles and then switch to ones with the crossbolt safety will do that to anyone. Including me. Only I had to pick up four 44 mag off the ground. click, click, click, click and none of those bullets went off. I remembered on the 5 th round.

Drail

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 13, 2008
    Bloomington
    All of my 94 Winchesters had the stupid cross bolt safety removed shortly after I bought them because as was pointed out it is always switching itself on. A perfectly stupid idea for a rifle with an exposed hammer. It's like having a safety on a single action revolver. It's not like I'm going to walk around with the gun loaded and the hammer at full cock. But I suppose there are dumb people who would do that. (and lawyers who would take their case.)

snapping turtle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Dec 5, 2009
    Madison county
    I do like the cross bolt safety for loading and unloading the gun. In heavy brush the hammer can get cocked back also. Those are the only two areas in which I think they have an advantage.

My problem is my current deer gun is the only one I have with the safety. So thirty some years of not having to take it off is hard to unlearn. This year and last no problems. The first year of the PCR in Indiana well lets just say I was on a learning curve.

Top Bottom