• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • LoriW

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 13, 2012
    Fishers
    I haven't cooked anything but venison so far but I use it in any recipe I'd use the same cut of beef. Ground goes in lasagna, spaghetti, taco's, etc. We didn't do as many roasts this last year as we did previously. We kept a couple big roasts and the backstraps and everything else got ground.

My favorite venison roast recipe (especially if you want something different from classic pot roast with potatoes and carrots) is Italian Venison. I got the recipe during a DNR class a couple years ago.

2-3# venison roast
    3 cups of water plus 3 bouillon cubes (I use beef)
    2 pkgs dry Italian dressing mix (I've sub'd out onion soup mix too)
    1 tsp EACH ground black pepper, salt, dried oregano, onion powder, dried parsley, garlic powder and basil
    1 bay leaf

Combine all seasonings with the water and bring to a boil in a saucepan. Pour over roast in slow cooker. Cook 10-12 hours on low or 4-5 on high. Shred and return to pot with some of the juices.

craigkim

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 6, 2013
    Fishers
    I know a lot of people use the ground venison in recipes to mask the flavor, but I think it makes fabulous burgers. It's just so much different than ground beef that you have to treat it differently. I don't have the butcher add any trimmings of pork or beef fat to mine, so it is pretty lean and therefore you really need to cook it fast or it dries out. Whereas a ground chuck burger will be good and juicy if it is thicker, because of all the fat, the venison will not.

The "moisture" in the venison is the enemy of what you want to accomplish with cooking. It's water, so it will cause your burger to boil or steam more than grill and brown if you don't get rid of it. The browning is what tastes good. I like to wrap the pre-measured balls of ground venison in paper towel and leave it uncovered in the refrigerator for a few hours to allow the meat to dry out. The "moisture" in ground beef is fat, so it's great... totally different.

I press the patties really thin (Picture Wendy's thin) and will add fresh ground black pepper to the outside and then rub on a very thin layer of olive oil. Don't add salt at that time, as it coagulates or pickles the meat and makes it tougher. Then I fire up the grill to high, clean it and, oil the grates a little right before I throw the burgers on. I salt them right after they hit the grates. I also press the patties occasionally during cooking. Like I said above, it's not delicious fat, it's water. They only need to cook about 2 minutes a side total, which is super convenient. If you want cheese, add it at the very end obviously. If you want a thicker burger, stack 2 together.

The gaminess of venison pairs really well with goat cheese and other more flavorful cheeses and toppings. I am also a big fan of "five county" cheese on it. Onions buns are my preferred.

Top Bottom