• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Tryin'

Victimized
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    Nov 18, 2009
    Hamilton County
    I drove from Sheridan with my wife and brother to do a bit of plinkin', I thought it was time well spent.
    The DNR guy was really friendly, not a whole lot of people calling "clear every 30 seconds, and it's free!

Dryden

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 5, 2009
    N.E. Indianapolis
    I would say yes. You're only about 20 or so miles away.

It would also depend on if you plan on going during the cold months.... there ain't much shelter or any indoor facilities. There's no fee and you only need to fill out a registration form.

There's three shooting ranges.... shotgun, pistol (approx 25 yards) & rifle (approx 50 yards)

pute62

Master
    Rating - 100%
    23   0   0
    Jan 29, 2009
    Lawrence
    Not a bad range but it only has 25 and 50 yards so it's best suited for pistols and 22 rifles.They also have an open shotgun range thats 50 yards. The 50 yard range is covered now so thats kinda nice. If there's alot of people their be prepared to get muzzle swept as some people just don't understand.Just remember it's closed Mondays and Tuesdays

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Thanks guys! I think I'll be heading over today... Got a few handguns I haven't shot yet. I'm a born and raised northerner so I ought to be able to brave the cold... I hope... (never really get used to the crap no matter where you're from!)

jburris

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Oct 21, 2008
    henry county
    also they only opened till 5 pm. the rest of the week even on weekends. its not bad now as it is getting dark around then, but sucks in the summer

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    I go to this range all the time. Nice place. Benches, pretty trees all around, you can shoot pistol, shotgun, or rifle, and it's FREE!!! About the only cons to this range is there's no cover, and the rifle range could be a bit longer. Also, the ranger there is a neat old guy. Pick up your brass before you go.(Don't worry, he'll remind you at least 3 times while you're there:D)

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy
    I go to this range all the time. Nice place. Benches, pretty trees all around, you can shoot pistol, shotgun, or rifle, and it's FREE!!! About the only cons to this range is there's no cover, and the rifle range could be a bit longer. Also, the ranger there is a neat old guy. Pick up your brass before you go.(Don't worry, he'll remind you at least 3 times while you're there:D)

The rifle range is now covered

The pistol range is supposed to also be the same from what I understand.
    No more neat old guy, just a strict atterbury guy that isn't as nice.

dustjunky2000

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 30, 2009
    Greenfield
    The rifle range is now covered

The pistol range is supposed to also be the same from what I understand.
    No more neat old guy, just a strict atterbury guy that isn't as nice.

You're kidding?! When did this happen?? Granted, it's been a couple months, but wtf? Where's my salty old ranger? That guy was awesome! And now there's some Atterbury guy? NNNOOO I hate shooting with those jerks. Treating everyone like it's their first time shooting before they even get their guns out of their cases. -grumble- The old guy was great. And fun to talk to.

Last edited:

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle
    You're kidding?! When did this happen?? Granted, it's been a couple months, but wtf? Where's my salty old ranger? That guy was awesome! And now there's some Atterbury guy? NNNOOO I hate shooting with those jerks. Treating everyone like it's their first time shooting before they even get their guns out of their cases. -grumble- The old guy was great. And fun to talk to.

It has been a few months now. Although when I was there last weekend there was a RO I hadn't seen before and he left everyone alone. He even came by and took my pink registration card so I didn't have to bother dropping it in the box on my way out. I too hope there won't be any more Atterbury antics.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    It has been a few months now. Although when I was there last weekend there was a RO I hadn't seen before and he left everyone alone. He even came by and took my pink registration card so I didn't have to bother dropping it in the box on my way out. I too hope there won't be any more Atterbury antics.
    Just curious, what are Atterbury antics?

ATF Consumer

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 23, 2008
    South Side Indy

Well, I wasn't able to have my Glock holstered the entire time at the 25 yard range whether the line was live or not. The RO told me to have it laying on the table :xmad: I guess he didn't see me carrying while at the 50 yard area. ;)

Many times before, we were able to practice drawing from the holster to target, but doesn't seem like that is any longer possible.

andyrping

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    Greensburg, Pennsylvania
    Well I went yesterday and I would say I was happy I did. Got to put quite a few rounds down range. Thanks all for the recomendations! As far as a RO, I saw a parked but running DNR truck there with someone who looked to be sleeping in it, but other than that, I didn't see anyone who appeared to be one. I just followed the directions in the registration booth and did my thing. Quite a different atmosphere than Atterbury...

kingnereli

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 2, 2008
    New Castle

That is my affectionate term for excessive unnecessary rules. I can give you some examples off the top of my head from that particular RO. He wouldn't let me keep my handgun holstered. It is sad when you have to start concealing your carry gun to go to the range. He wouldn't let my cousin and I zero an AR at the 25 yard range even though the posted rules specifically allow it. He told me (and several other people) that I couldn't carry my rifles to and from the firing line with the muzzle pointed down. It had to be muzzle up. One day, while I was shooting pistol, I had a rifle in a padded case sitting under my table. He made me unzip it and lectured me for not having the bolt open even though the gun was empty and in a case under the table. Another day he insisted on giving everyone who showed up an approximately 10 min. lecture on range rules, several of which where not posted rules at WW.

There are more examples but I think this list will suffice. I haven't seen that RO in awhile and glad of it. He made shooting at Wilbur Wright difficult to enjoy for a few weeks. WW has always been a very laid back, shooter friendly range which is why a lot of people drive out of their way to shoot there. The "antics" of that RO, who I understand was from Atterbury, did nothing to improve safety and only hampered everyone's experience. It has been my experience at Wilber Wright that with the exception of a few knuckleheads now and then that people are fully capable of staying safe and running the range themselves.

buzz815

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    May 26, 2009
    Shelby cty
    Well, I wasn't able to have my Glock holstered the entire time at the 25 yard range whether the line was live or not. The RO told me to have it laying on the table :xmad: I guess he didn't see me carrying while at the 50 yard area. ;)

Many times before, we were able to practice drawing from the holster to target, but doesn't seem like that is any longer possible.
    Are all of the things he asks of you posted range rules. If not he could and probably should be fired for not enforcing range rules. If he is just making up rules as he goes along maybe you should complain.

Top Bottom