• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    After a nice lunch out this afternoon, the wife and I decided to hit the range and practice her shooting. She's VERY new to the concept and has put maybe 250 rounds downrange thus far..

Anyhow, we get there and I start to unpack her .22, when she suddenly asks "Do you have anything bigger that I can try??"

:dunno:

I stammered for something to say, when she just kinda blerts out "You always look so solid shooting your Glock, could I try that??"

"Sure, why not?" I reply, unloading my mag of hollowpoints and fishing for an empty magazine..

Well, at about 10 yards she's shooting low. WAY LOW. "I don't like this, it's too thick.. what else did you bring??"

:n00b:

I hadn't really brought anything else, as I was figuring on her shooting her .22 and me shooting my Glock. I had a couple milk jugs full of water to show her how hollowpoints expanded and everything..

As I tried to figure how long it would take to run home and get in the safe, she says "Hey, what about that one you keep in your car, locked in the console? Can I shoot that? Do you have ammo for it??"

:shady::pimp:

"It" is a 9mm Hi-Point. I've had it for a while now and shot it enough to trust it for a cargun, but I really didn't know if she'd like it. I went to the car and grabbed it, though, and loaded it full of Remington FMJ..

"Wow, it's ugly, huh??" she says, as she strolls to the firing line.. and drops the whole mag on target IN RAPID FIRE. :ar15:She does this a couple more times, then STARTS DOUBLE TAPPING! :shoot:

150 rounds later she's killed my milk jug, three cans, a couple plastic bottles and a dozen targets. She's beeming. I'm excited that she's found a firearm she actually likes to shoot!

Now she's talking about getting a carry permit, going to the gunstore and looking at other guns, all kinds of crazy stuff. :spend: And somehow, I owe it all to a 9mm Hi-Point.. which never jammed or anything, by the way..

FIL is coming for Bubba's Shooting School in a month - gotta go buy more ammo!!

RogerB

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Feb 5, 2008
    New Palestine
    LOL Thats AWESOME! Pretty similiar to how it went the first time my wife shot my XD9 and Bersa .45. She loves the XD and now wants one of her own. :D :yesway: :patriot:

Joe Williams

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 26, 2008
    For a nice "not thick" single stack, look for a S&W 39 series gun, or a 1911. My wife swears her 1911 is thinner and feels better than any of the three main combat tupperwear guns, and she LOVES our friend's pristine Model 39. She's really a fan of the 3913/Ladysmith, though she likes the 1911 better. She thought the 3913 was a little snappier than she likes for target shooting.

Lots of guys are hesitant, for whatever reason, to put a .45 in their lady's hands, but my wife is far from the only woman I've known to choose a 1911. She likes the way the gun feels in her hands, and likes the recoil impulse. She says that while it's a heavier recoil, it's a softer slower push. I agree with her assessment, btw.

Meanwhile, despite the way people make fun of them, Hipoints have a habit of working well. It should tide her over until she finds a gun she likes.

You are probably as screwed as I am, btw. The fights Cathy and I have aren't over whether or not I get to buy a gun, they are over who's turn it is LOL.

Bubbajms

Master
    Rating - 100%
    20   0   0
    Sep 3, 2008
    Delphi, IN
    Well, she held a 1911 and didn't care for it. She's MORE than open to going to the gun shop to look at different firearms, though!! I'd love to get her to come to an INGO shoot to talk about different firearms with those who own/love them..

Guess we'll see, but for now she's happy with what she's got :)

Goodcat

From a place you cannot see…
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    152   0   0
    Jan 13, 2009
    New Pal
    I took in my Makarov 9x18 on trade a while back. Thought it was a beautiful gun, but just hated holding it and how it shot. Was about to throw it back in the mix when she wanted to fire it. She doesn't touch another handgun now!

Bshaw

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Apr 8, 2008
    Kokomo
    Wifes Gun

why not look at a 1911 in 9mm
    I have a Springfield Armory 1911 in 9mm that is really nice to shoot
    not light weight as a carry piece but the recoil is minimal
    Kimber also makes a 9mm and Colt 9mm are still floating around on the used market as well as several other makers
    good luck and i am glad She has seen the light :shoot:

Site Supporter

INGO Supporter

Latest posts

Forum statistics

Threads
    Members
    Latest member
    jstan
    Top Bottom