• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • russc2542

Master
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Oct 24, 2015
    Columbus
    I'm with the camp that everything across the Appalachians from Norfolk to NH can just drift out to sea (much like most of coastal California). Been there a few times (DC, NYC, CT), met people, saw stuff... rode public transport, drove in the traffic, smelled the smells, and paid 3x as much for anything. The historicness of some of it is cool (or would be if you could stop long enough and shoo everyone away to notice) but otherwise the noteworthy things look like the pics and everything else can be had elsewhere (or missed entirely without missing anything).

I like having a garage, non-destroyed cars, being able to survive riding a motorcycle, and neighbors far enough away I'll blow my eardrums out before I bother them.

To me, it's not so much that if I can't have a gun on my hip OMG I'm defenseless, it's that I don't want to go somewhere and be surrounded by people with such different attitude and mentality that assume I'm insane and murderous for not thinking guns are inherently, profoundly evil. I'm open do rational dialog or debate about it but they usually aren't. I also avoid guns and other potential SJW issues with certain members of my family and don't go to nail salons even though I'm sure I could learn something there. Granted I can't carry at work but they give me money unlike the east coast.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    If you carry a knife, take some time to look up the insane laws before traveling there. That little EDC knife clipped in your pocket will land you in jail. Seriously.

They have stop and frisk laws there, meaning they can search you with no probable cause. And any “gravity knife” (meaning anything that can be opened by centrifugal force) is not just a ticket, it’s a trip to the slammer.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    It's also humorous that those who have never been to NYC and refuse to go, insist on calling it a "**** hole."

It's literally one of the cleanest and safest cities in the US and has been for a while.

Does it suck you can't carry there? Yep. Are the liberal policies idiotic? You bet. But New York City is amazing. Everyone should visit it at least once.

I can't carry a gun outside of the US. Does that mean I would resign myself to never leave the country? Hell no.
    We have had remarkably different experiences in NYC. And I’ve been several times. Although I agree with your overall sentiment.

Last edited:

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    If you carry a knife, take some time to look up the insane laws before traveling there. That little EDC knife clipped in your pocket could land you in jail. Seriously.

They have stop and frisk laws there, meaning they can search you with no probable cause. And any “gravity knife” (meaning anything that can be opened by centrifugal force) is not just a ticket, it’s a trip to the slammer.
    FIFY.

I carried a CRKT M16. I had to leave it with the guard at the carrier museum (Why? IDK). I got it back with no problem.

The police aren't frisking every tourist they see, but, I'm also a well dressed white man. YMMV.

roscott

Master
    Rating - 97.5%
    39   1   0
    Mar 1, 2009
    FIFY.

I carried a CRKT M16. I had to leave it with the guard at the carrier museum (Why? IDK). I got it back with no problem.

The police aren't frisking every tourist they see, but, I'm also a well dressed white man. YMMV.
    The guards at most of the museums have always been very curteous, and may have a very different attitude than a beat cop looking for arrests.

The CRKT is a great knife, but it does technically fall into the nutty NY definition for “gravity knife,” so legally you deserved jail time for having it. It really is bizarre.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    There are risks to everything in life. I've been to NY (C in my case) something like 6 times and am going there next week. I'm pretty sure I'll come home safely.

MCgrease08

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Mar 14, 2013
    Earth
    0GjDin4.jpg

IronsKeeper

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Aug 5, 2018
    Not today, ISIS
    For what it's worth, I skipped about 40 posts and just wanted to say go for your wife, don't listen to people with a different marriage dynamic or reality than you (nicest way I could talk about those seriously suggesting divorce, I'll leave it there), and find something cool to visit.

Heck, if you dump everything potentially threatening I think it'd be cool to see 1 Police Plaza or the World Trade Center Museum.

I plan to go with the family someday. I don't care for the lack of tools they allow, but I've got to live life anyway.

California is a bit different, not a whole lot there that I can't replicate elsewhere- except my family. But at least you can travel with an unloaded gun and load it at the hotel room/family house

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

Ruffnek

Master
    Rating - 100%
    10   0   0
    For what it's worth, I skipped about 40 posts and just wanted to say go for your wife, don't listen to people with a different marriage dynamic or reality than you (nicest way I could talk about those seriously suggesting divorce, I'll leave it there), and find something cool to visit.

Heck, if you dump everything potentially threatening I think it'd be cool to see 1 Police Plaza or the World Trade Center Museum.

I plan to go with the family someday. I don't care for the lack of tools they allow, but I've got to live life anyway.

California is a bit different, not a whole lot there that I can't replicate elsewhere- except my family. But at least you can travel with an unloaded gun and load it at the hotel room/family house

Sent from my LM-G710 using Tapatalk

This.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    I have to say that I am truly astonished, in this of all forums, at the number of people saying, "Why SURE! I'm willing to trade my life, and my wife's and my kid's in order to see some fleeting amusement in an anti-gun sh*thole. Anyone who doesn't agree is just a big sissy!!"

When I first joined with my current partner she was so gun-ignorant that when a family member left a single cartridge behind after a visit she made her late husband put it in a box filled with cotton for fear that it would explode.

Then Yours Truly came along.

Living her daily life with a man who was never unarmed was a transition for her. Then she began to feel really good about the idea that as long as she was with me she was safe. After a while *SHE* insisted that I place a sufficient number of guns in various rooms so that I was always within reach of one.

Now *SHE* will not consider going anywhere that *I* can't go armed. When the State Fair prohibited even currently serving off-duty officers from entering the event armed her response was simple: F**K the Fair...we're not going anymore.

No. Do NOT go to New York. This country is too huge for you to risk your life in such a foolish venture and there are too many gun-friendly venues that will welcome your gun and your wallet.

I'm LEOSA qualified and there is no doubt in my mind that places like New York, New Jersey and Illinois will not honor my qualification. There is nothing in any of those places that I need to see.

MarkC

Master
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 6, 2016
    Mooresville
    Despite my earlier post in this thread (#29), where I agreed with the estimable Mr. CM that neither of us enjoy visiting super large cities, I accompanied Mrs. MarkC when she did some coursework at a university near Boston, spending about a week in the DPRMA (Democratic Peoples Republic of Massachusetts), taking advantage of my LEOSA qualification. However, I researched the laws, especially NY and MA, making sure to comply with requirements not by preempted by LEOSA, such as Massachusetts' storage laws. I was also very careful to carry discreetly, avoiding unwanted attention and forgoing carrying where it was not wise, such as on the university's campus.

As for Illinois, when I was a young LEO and worked the western border counties, I had plenty of opportunities to interact with the Danville, IL and Illinois State Police. Downstate they are pretty much like the Indiana cops, just wanting to enforce the laws and do a good job. However, I've heard anecdotal tales of bad things in Chicago, like a sheriff's deputy from northwest Indiana who was detained for a couple of hours for carrying in Chicago while the CPD was "verifying" his employment. However, that was a few years ago, but I also recognize that some places are more firearms friendly than others.

I realize this post is a bit off-topic, but I wanted to make the point that not everything is as terrible as it might seem from afar, and you never know where life might take you. When I posted in January I had no idea I was going to spend a couple of weeks in June in and around Boston. There is a huge amount of American history there, and seeing the Lexington and Concord battlefield was particularly moving for me.

HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    I thought this may be a good place to share a few pics from trip my wife and I took in December 2017 to celebrate our 25th anniversary:

TT.jpg

ny4.png

ny7.jpg

ny8.jpg

ny5.png

ny3.png

ny1.png

GCT-1.jpg

Top Bottom