• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Bugoutbob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    South Bend
    So I've been reading with my wife many of the procedures it is reccomended to follow if a cop is insistant on taking your weapon during a traffic stop or what have you. She asked me about the following senario today and I am not sure how to answer.

My wife will primarily be carrying with the flashbang holster (the one that attaches to a bra) or a thigh holster when she's in a dress. If she were to tell the cop that she does not consent to the search, and she is not comfortable handing the gun over, but he can take it (assuming its a guy), what are the legalities of a cop reaching under her shirt or up her skirt? Also, for those not familar with the flashbang holster, you have to jerk it out of the holster to free it. Its not something you could do slowly.

Thanks for any advice!

Bill of Rights

Cogito, ergo porto.
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    7   0   0
    Apr 26, 2008
    Where's the bacon?
    So I've been reading with my wife many of the procedures it is reccomended to follow if a cop is insistant on taking your weapon during a traffic stop or what have you. She asked me about the following senario today and I am not sure how to answer.

My wife will primarily be carrying with the flashbang holster (the one that attaches to a bra) or a thigh holster when she's in a dress. If she were to tell the cop that she does not consent to the search, and she is not comfortable handing the gun over, but he can take it (assuming its a guy), what are the legalities of a cop reaching under her shirt or up her skirt? Also, for those not familar with the flashbang holster, you have to jerk it out of the holster to free it. Its not something you could do slowly.

Thanks for any advice!

If the pistol cannot be slowly removed and she won't remove it, she's going to have to understand that he's going to be yanking on her bra in the process of removing the pistol from the holster. If she not comfortable with that, then "Officer, to remove my pistol from my holster, I have to do it quickly. I do not intend you any harm and will pose no threat to you. It's safer in the holster, I promise. How about I keep my hands where you can see them and we leave it where it is, to keep both of us safe?"

If he still insists on separating her from it, it may be easier to remove the gun and the holster together and reattach them later.

Good luck!

Blessings,
    Bill

Mrs_Frost

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 11, 2011

Thanks for any advice!

I'm not 100 percent sure but I think they call a female officer in to search a female. If she is uncomfortable with the male officer (I don't blame her for that) and he is insistent I would ask for a female officer and explain why I was uncomfortable

Fedempl

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Feb 9, 2012
    McCordsville
    I do not see the male officer even attempting to disarm your wife. If there is an issue and he needs to, he will call for a female officer. But another thing to consider, I doubt they would disarm her in public on a street.

Bunnykid68

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    22   0   0
    Mar 2, 2010
    Cave of Caerbannog
    I do not see the male officer even attempting to disarm your wife. If there is an issue and he needs to, he will call for a female officer. But another thing to consider, I doubt they would disarm her in public on a street.
    You underestimate the ignorance of a select few that inhabit the ranks of those that protect ans serve.

Hayseed_40

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    42   0   0
    Feb 1, 2010
    Strongbadia
    I'm not 100 percent sure but I think they call a female officer in to search a female. If she is uncomfortable with the male officer (I don't blame her for that) and he is insistent I would ask for a female officer and explain why I was uncomfortable

Good advice, but (in most depts) they are not required to call a female but it is advisable. Also make sure if there is a dash cam in the cruiser that your wife stands in plain view (and verbalizes) so if anything iffy happens that it is on video (and so is her image).

If the male is truly worried about his safety, he will not wait for a female to search.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Aug 23, 2009
    Brainardland
    She should say, "Officer, there is nothing in Indiana law giving you the authority to take my firearm. I will not surrender it unless you place me under arrest. With what crime am I being charged?

Bugoutbob

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 2, 2011
    South Bend
    Largely we both believe in informing if asked. Now, how we plan on acting is of course up to the officer. Sgt. Power Trip would get something of the lines of "nothing illegal," however if the situation were to escalate my wife was just curious how her methods of CC would be handled. Generally I agree that a cop wouldn't push to disarm my wife, but just like in every profession, jerks exist.

Lastly, 99% of the time my wife will be traveling with our little girl. We both agree that on the side of the road is not the proper place to argue mainly for ours and our daughters safety. The officer will know that what he is doing is illegal and a complaint will be filed when we dont have to worry about another driver not paying attention and running into our car.

Top Bottom