• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Not all, but some behave as someone bringing only a fork to a pitchin, cutting in line & moving at slow speed.

Where do the funds to build/maintain the roads come from?
    The taxes that bicyclists also pay in amounts likely as much as or greater than you

Do you think we don't have cars (gas taxes, registration & licensing) or homes (real estate taxes) or income (state and federal taxation)?

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    When you pass a bike you have to allow at least 3' of space. So it wouldn't matter if their are 2 riders side by side. If you can't pass 2 side by side bikes how you going to pass one unless your squeezing him off the road to get by? I think many of the bikers do this so they can be seen better from behind. There's bad bike riders and bad car and truck drivers. Learn the laws and if you don't like bikes run for office and change the law.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    I must confess it is disappointing to see 'registration' and 'common sense restrictions' referred to as preferred solutions to a perceived inconvenience on a gunowner's site

Can 'Moms Demand Motorized Vehicles' be far behind?

Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2021
    central indiana
    When I was young and learned to ride a bike I was told to stay out of the streets. Nowadays a cyclisst can be ticketed for riding on a sidewalk.

I don't understand how one can find enjoyment while riding a bicycle on a busy road. It's a constant threat of injury or death to the bike rider.

Cyclists create their own danger. It's impossible for a cyclist to adhere to most rules of the road, especially as it pertains to speed.

Liquorcycles (moped/scooters) are required to have license plates to operate on the roads, why not bicyces?

foszoe

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Jun 2, 2011
    Maybe an alternate title to this thread could be “why do people have to drive/ride like jerks?”

I’ll admit I’m an impatient driver. I just want to get where I’m wanting to go with as few interruptions as possible. But every once in awhile I like to putting around looking at the leaves, seeing the sites, etc. When I do and people come up behind me, I don’t insist on my right to drive as I wish, everyone else be damned. I pull over and let them pass as soon as I can. Common courtesy. When I used to ride, I did the same thing. I also trie to take routes where I’d minimize auto traffic interactions. Few people, in cars or on bikes, treat others as they’d like to be treated.
    Anecdotal but the rudest/jerkest drivers seem to have in God we trust plates. Ticks me off.

Cameramonkey

www.thechosen.tv
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    35   0   0
    May 12, 2013
    Camby area
    Umm, sorry, did you just reply to the wrong person? INGO drug users? Put strangers at risk for bodily harm? I feel like this response must be aimed at somebody else, because I really don't get where that came from.
    He seems to have done that several times in this thread.

dieselrealtor

Master
    Rating - 100%
    178   0   0
    Nov 5, 2010
    Morgan County
    The taxes that bicyclists also pay in amounts likely as much as or greater than you

Do you think we don't have cars (gas taxes, registration & licensing) or homes (real estate taxes) or income (state and federal taxation)?

The owner of each vehicle pays a portion of tax to for the right/privelege for that specific vehicle to be on the road, insurance is also required.

Other taxes/theft are an entirely different conversation which do not apply to use of roads.

The efficiency, structure and taxation/theft rate of indot is an entirely different conversation.

Side note, I have little to no problem with bicyclists who are respectful & courteous.

I do have a problem with things that I have experienced, largely on state highways, other busy and narrow roads. Somteimes large groups of cyclists playing locomotive for the long train of vehicles behind them. I have experienced this with frequency in Brown & Monroe counties.

DoggyDaddy

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    73   0   1
    Aug 18, 2011
    Southside Indy
    Anecdotal but the rudest/jerkest drivers seem to have in God we trust plates. Ticks me off.
    When I worked for BMG Music Club, we had a "Christian Music" club. Our customer service folks said that those folks were some of the rudest, most vile people to deal with. Oddly enough, they said our "Heavy Metal" customers were some of the nicest to deal with.

wcd

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 2, 2011
    Off the Grid In Tennessee
    I've known several avid cyclists who were great guys. I've also encountered many courteous, safe cyclists on the road. So I hadn't really understood the hate either.

However, it's stuff like this that makes me start to understand the frustration. For some cyclists (and those tend to be the ones who make themselves noticed the most) it really feels like there's just no winning with them; they'll always find a way to slow down traffic, make things more dangerous for themselves, and then complain about how dangerous it is for them.

Perfect example right here. You would think that coming to a full stop, which is much safer than just blowing through and assuming cars will stop for you, would be a plus. But no, that's not good enough for them, because it requires a "major energy expenditure." So, expending energy is now a minus, while engaged in an activity that is supposedly for exercise?
    Full disclosure, for the most part I have only encountered rude cyclist. By that I mean not all of them are rude. But around here they are to follow the same laws as motorist, as in stop for traffic control devices ie stop signs etc. it’s not uncommon for some around here to totally disregard stop signs where opposing traffic has the right of way.

Also I have experienced first hand cyclist that do not comprehend over heads and sirens, it means move as in get out of the lane and safely off to the side.

It seriously it does not mean take a stand and refuse to move an inch.

Again I am sure not all of them are jerks but it only takes a few to give others a bad rap.

There is a few cyclist that will ride down our road it really has some step hills and it’s an excellent work out. On occasion when I have come up on them they will see me coming and try to get off to the side. Granted they are Mountain Bikers and oddly enough I think that makes a difference in that they are more aware of their surroundings and pay attention to their surroundings. So when I see them I slow down and give them a wide berth .

But courtesy goes both ways.

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    I must confess it is disappointing to see 'registration' and 'common sense restrictions' referred to as preferred solutions to a perceived inconvenience on a gunowner's site

Can 'Moms Demand Motorized Vehicles' be far behind?
    How does owning and/or carrying a firearm impede everyone else in their immediate vicinity?

I’m not getting the point you’re trying to make. (I know the point you’re trying to make, but it’s a really lame comparison).

littletommy

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 29, 2009
    A holler in Kentucky
    When I'm on multi-use trails, I notice cyclists tend to be more polite. You'll often get a 'thanks' when you yield the trail to them. I don't know if it's because you're human vs a faceless wheeled box or if it's because your close enough to shove them into the ravine, but I rarely see the entitled asshat behaviors on trails I see on roads.
    Now that you mention it, I’ve noticed the same thing. I don’t ever recall encountering a rude rider out on the trails we normally hike.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Yes. My wife and I were just talking about how rude drivers have become lately. In 10 mins the other night we nearly hit 3 people who were driving like they were cops with their lights on; I'm going where Im gonna go, its your job to stay out of my way.

In 2 of the 3 cases, we were in a parking lot where the person turned across in front of us as if we were not even there. If we had been out on the road and hit them, they would have been at fault.
    It seems to me like society in general has become more rude and self-centered since Covid. People seem to be lost in their own little worlds where they’re the main character. I can’t remember the last time I went to a public place and didn’t have people stopping in doorways, barreling into aisles with shopping carts, blocking things, or generally being selfish buttholes.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    So are boats and biplanes, context dependent, but you know what he meant.

Why aren't bicycles allowed on interstates?
    Because they already are 'limited access' highways by statute. Same reason combines and tractors not being transported by something else, pedestrians, vehicles drawn by animals and people riding animals are not

What I supposedly know he meant is at odds with what he actually said, I merely corrected his misconception that bicycle traffic is not vehicular traffic

ve·hi·cle
    noun
    1.a thing used for transporting people or goods, especially on land

Top Bottom