Why is a cover letter needed with resumes?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • HoughMade

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Oct 24, 2012
    Valparaiso
    Think about what e-mail address you are using. You may need to create an account just for submitting resumes, especially if your regular e-mail address is: ButterflyKisses@hotmail.com or TwerkingUnicorn@dancer.com ...

For a while there, I was using "dirtymikeandtheboyz69@gmail.com"

I found I had a lot of positive responses. A lot of scary, positive responses:

[video=youtube;u1j4mK6cs_A]https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=u1j4mK6cs_A[/video]

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    Thank you for all the informative replys, it did help in my search.

But despite the no cover letter, I got a new job this past week. Pay raise and better hrs. I had to wait over a week after the phone interview for a in person interview. I thought I didnt make the cut at first because it took so long to get back with me. I had 11 places call me from my resume being on career builder and monster (not including the moronic life insurance sales recruiters). Not to bad for 3.5 weeks, when there is roughly 25 job postings with my postions. This place and one other had hrs I wanted, and weren't to far of a drive. And the other place wanted more experience in a certain field, but it was farther away anyway. So it worked out. I was typing up some cover letters for a few companies when I was contacted by this one and paused untill this process was over. I dont have to finish them now.

rhino

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    24   0   0
    Mar 18, 2008
    Indiana
    Thank you for all the informative replys, it did help in my search.

But despite the no cover letter, I got a new job this past week. Pay raise and better hrs. I had to wait over a week after the phone interview for a in person interview. I thought I didnt make the cut at first because it took so long to get back with me. I had 11 places call me from my resume being on career builder and monster (not including the moronic life insurance sales recruiters). Not to bad for 3.5 weeks, when there is roughly 25 job postings with my postions. This place and one other had hrs I wanted, and weren't to far of a drive. And the other place wanted more experience in a certain field, but it was farther away anyway. So it worked out. I was typing up some cover letters for a few companies when I was contacted by this one and paused untill this process was over. I dont have to finish them now.

Impressive!

My resume could sit for years on those sites and not get any inquiries at all. Well played, sir, and congratulations!

Limpy88

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    37   0   0
    Nov 12, 2009
    Lafayette
    I didn't switch careers just companies. But it has been a nearly life long process to get to my job satus and skill level. I have been welding since middle school, and repairing things since as far back as I can remember.

sepe

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jun 15, 2010
    Accra, Ghana
    Limpy, congrats on the job.

I like cosermann more than I like you.

My cover letters are freakin' works of art. Unfortunately, even they can't hide my complete lack of relevant experience exposed by my pitiful resume.

Maybe you should do a video resume/cover letter combo. Give them a little dance to show off some of your skills. Maybe go with a pink tutu or an all pink body suit. While in school for HR, we got to see some video cover letters/resumes done by creative types for places I'm not bright enough to work (a handful were for Google and were okay'ed to be used as educational information from the employees that had submitted them while applying). All I can say is they were pretty amazing.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Ok, is a cover letter needed in this situation?

Applied for job online.
    Received a call from background check company wanting a copy of diploma.
    Received call to schedule in person interview and told to bring 3 copies of my resume.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Ok, is a cover letter needed in this situation?

Applied for job online.
    Received a call from background check company wanting a copy of diploma.
    Received call to schedule in person interview and told to bring 3 copies of my resume.
    A cover letter for what? What would it cover? You've already applied and been awarded an interview.

Now, customize (don't over do it) your resume to this specific job. During the interview the interviewers don't want to read a letter.

I would imagine it would help the situation.
    I would disagree. In fact, it might hurt. The purpose of the cover letter is to get people to read you're resume and give you an interview. You've already got that covered in this situation. Adding more information makes things cloudy - as the interviewee you want your message to be loud and clear - you are the best person for the job. Let your resume, mouth and body do the talking.

Take you're own notes during the interview - write down names. Did something you say pique the interrest of the interviewer(s)? Write it down. Write down what skills or specific things the interviewer is looking for in a candidate. Write down any questions you "nailed".

Remember to send a thank you letter within three days. Go back to your notes and use those to refresh the positives in the mind of the interviewer.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    To be more specific, this was an interview for a skilled trades job at a factory. Had the interview this morning and I think I nailed it. Of the 3 guys in the interview, 2 of them seemed very impressed that I knew what I claimed to on my application. The one said that he was worried going into this interview after looking at my listed qualifications. He acted like it was pretty rare to get a guy like me in there. That same guy walked me back to the lobby and commented how well I did. I feel 80-90% confident that I will receive their recommendation.

They said that they 3 of them would give their recommendation to HR and it will go from there. May be up to 6 weeks before I get a yay or nay. I didn't do well with getting names. Walked in with 1 guy and there were 2 more in there. I was nervous and I haven't been to a job interview in almost 16 years. Definitely not a pro at it. Hopefully this will be my last job interview.

JettaKnight

Я з Україною
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Oct 13, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    To be more specific, this was an interview for a skilled trades job at a factory. Had the interview this morning and I think I nailed it. Of the 3 guys in the interview, 2 of them seemed very impressed that I knew what I claimed to on my application. The one said that he was worried going into this interview after looking at my listed qualifications. He acted like it was pretty rare to get a guy like me in there. That same guy walked me back to the lobby and commented how well I did. I feel 80-90% confident that I will receive their recommendation.

They said that they 3 of them would give their recommendation to HR and it will go from there. May be up to 6 weeks before I get a yay or nay. I didn't do well with getting names. Walked in with 1 guy and there were 2 more in there. I was nervous and I haven't been to a job interview in almost 16 years. Definitely not a pro at it. Hopefully this will be my last job interview.
    Glad to hear you did well!

A follow up letter (even to HR) could reiterate that have a very diverse skill set and thank them for their time. Try to get a name on the letter, even if you have to call and ask. "to whom it may concern" won't get you far at all.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    Glad to hear you did well!

A follow up letter (even to HR) could reiterate that have a very diverse skill set and thank them for their time. Try to get a name on the letter, even if you have to call and ask. "to whom it may concern" won't get you far at all.

I have the email from the lady at Talent Acquisition that I can send a letter to. I got the impression that the group who interviewed me will be giving their yay or nay to HR and then it's out of their hands at that point. Not sure how soon they will be giving that yay or nay though.

GodFearinGunTotin

Super Moderator
    Staff member
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 22, 2011
    Mitchell
    If they do like we do when interviewing folks for skilled trades jobs, at the end of each interview, we grade each prospect. Then at the end of the day or, if taking more than one day, at the end of each day, we review our grades and do a "sense check" to make sure we graded fairly and make sure the grades correspond with whom we consider the stronger and weaker candidates. I don't know that I ever got a thank you letter from the many folks I interviewed. It wouldn't have hurt any but it wouldn't have made a dime's worth of difference in how I ranked them because by the time they would have sent in a letter, the preference list would have been submitted to HR.

hornadylnl

Shooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 19, 2008
    If they do like we do when interviewing folks for skilled trades jobs, at the end of each interview, we grade each prospect. Then at the end of the day or, if taking more than one day, at the end of each day, we review our grades and do a "sense check" to make sure we graded fairly and make sure the grades correspond with whom we consider the stronger and weaker candidates. I don't know that I ever got a thank you letter from the many folks I interviewed. It wouldn't have hurt any but it wouldn't have made a dime's worth of difference in how I ranked them because by the time they would have sent in a letter, the preference list would have been submitted to HR.
    Kind of what I was thinking. These guys only seemed interested in weeding out the deadbeats. I think I passed. LOL

Top Bottom