Why I'm voting Trump in the Indiana Primary...

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    Reince Priebus just told Greta Van Susteren, essentially, that if Trump falls one delegate short the **** is going to hit the fan at the Convention. I hope those who are tuned-in to what the Republican Party has in mind (to do everything they can to subvert the will of the people) get out and make this difficult or impossible. I know I'm planning to, even though Trump hasn't always been my first choice. I think it's time to put the Party in check.

Edit: interrupted while posting, resulting in nonsense

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    So.... the rules should be changed because....? Not sure I understand here.

No majority, no go. Would mean more people voted against him than for him... and that sounds more like the "will of the people". This isn't golf, we don't have gimmes if it's close enough.

Edit: And honestly, why can't this go in the "Trump" thread. It's very, very appropriate.

Twangbanger

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    21   0   0
    Oct 9, 2010
    ...Would mean more people voted against him than for him...

The same can be said for any ​candidate. I'm a Cruz fan, but have no delusions he can win the Presidency, if he can't even win the Republican Party scrimmage.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    So.... the rules should be changed because....? Not sure I understand here.

No majority, no go. Would mean more people voted against him than for him... and that sounds more like the "will of the people". This isn't golf, we don't have gimmes if it's close enough.

Edit: And honestly, why can't this go in the "Trump" thread. It's very, very appropriate.

Honestly, because if Trump gets enough delegates he'll be nominated. Where did I say anything about changing the rules? Also, those threads are massive. Maybe we can talk specifically about OUR primary in this one?

Restroyer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 13, 2015
    SE Indiana
    Reince Priebus just told Greta Van Susteren, essentially, that if Trump falls one delegate short the **** is going to hit the fan at the Convention. I hope those who are tuned-in to what the Republican Party has in mind (to do everything they can to subvert the will of the people) get out and make this difficult or impossible. I know I'm planning to, even though Trump hasn't always been my first choice. I think it's time to put the Party in check.

Edit: interrupted while posting, resulting in nonsense

I totally agree with you. Trump was not my first choice either but right now he's the only choice we got to beat Hillary. If Trump does not get enough delegates and the Establishment picks their own candidate at the Convention (like Establishment favorite Jeb Bush who cannot beat Hillary) then we are in trouble. Plus, Trump will feel that the Establishment screwed him and then he might run independent and split the vote (like Ross Perot did twice splitting the vote which only succeeded in getting Bill Clinton elected).

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    I totally agree with you. Trump was not my first choice either but right now he's the only choice we got to beat Hillary. If Trump does not get enough delegates and the Establishment picks their own candidate at the Convention (like Establishment favorite Jeb Bush who cannot beat Hillary) then we are in trouble. Plus, Trump will feel that the Establishment screwed him and then he might run independent and split the vote (like Ross Perot did twice splitting the vote which only succeeded in getting Bill Clinton elected).

If you're into polls, Kasich is the only one who appears to be able to beat Clinton. Cruz loses, but the gap is narrow. Trump loses and the gap is wider.

What's kind of interesting to me is Sanders polls better against both of them than Clinton does. The closest polls are Kasich vs Sanders, with a mixed result of some polls favoring both. Seems like the Dems can't get out of their own way, either, thanks to the political machine that is Clinton.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Kasich vs. Sanders

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    If you're into polls, Kasich is the only one who appears to be able to beat Clinton. Cruz loses, but the gap is narrow. Trump loses and the gap is wider.

What's kind of interesting to me is Sanders polls better against both of them than Clinton does. The closest polls are Kasich vs Sanders, with a mixed result of some polls favoring both. Seems like the Dems can't get out of their own way, either, thanks to the political machine that is Clinton.

RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Kasich vs. Sanders

In a head-to-head match up with Hillary, Trump loses badly. RealClearPolitics - Election 2016 - General Election: Trump vs. Clinton

Kasich is the only one still running who beats her. If you really don't want Hillary Clinton as the next president, voting for Trump is a terrible plan.

Careful, they'll be by soon to quote an old poll that wasn't accurate.

I don't know where people get the "Trump is our only hope to beat Hillary!" data.... but it feels like the last thing they have to grasp onto to justify defending the guy.

No, see... you put him where he is now. He's the final one standing (for the most part) because of those previous months of support and defending him. You aren't allowed to pretend those didn't happen. You can't throw up your arms and say "Well, he's what we have now... so we gotta get behind him and he can win!".... That's not how this works.

You pushed a loser. You defended a loser. Don't act like it's everyone else's fault when Clinton wins. Other candidates existed, and other candidates consistently polled closer to or higher than Clinton. Trump has consistently polled lower.

(Edit: "You" in this case referring to the remaining supporters.)

Last edited:

CampingJosh

Master
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Dec 16, 2010
    I never mentioned Trump vs. Hillary, but I suspect that matchup will take on an entirely different dynamic if it actually comes to pass.

Maybe. But I wouldn't count on it.

I think everyone who wants Trump to be president is already voting for him, and that's not even a majority of the half of Americans who are Republicans.

BehindBlueI's

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    29   0   0
    Oct 3, 2012
    So I want to be clear on this. You want to vote for Trump because the party doesn't want him. Most data shows Trump loses to either Democrat potential nominee. So you're going to vote for Trump to show the party they should listen to people telling them to run someone who will lose? Well, that's certainly putting the party in check.

Trump's main draw now seems to be we're tired of everyone else, so if they don't want him he must be good. He's the ketchup popsicle.

I just hope this goat rope doesn't spill over into Congress. It's certainly going to spill into SCOTUS.

tbhausen

Master
    Rating - 100%
    83   0   0
    Feb 12, 2010
    West Central IN
    It's much simpler than that. Many of us are fed up, pissed off, and ready to send a clear message that "politics as usual" don't cut it anymore, Party loyalty be dammed. Trump is the available messenger. Maybe four or eight years of Hillary will finally convince someone to listen. Too many people putting themselves and their careers ahead of their country. Did you ever all stop to realize what a personal sacrifice it would actually be for Trump to serve as President? Here's a guy who can literally do whatever the hell he wants--houses, travel, cars, you name it--and all of a sudden he has to answer to the world? Maybe he hasn't figured it out yet, but it's not going to be nearly as enjoyable as his lifestyle before public service should he be elected. Hell, anyone would have to be nuts to want to be President.

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Careful, they'll be by soon to quote an old poll that wasn't accurate.

I don't know where people get the "Trump is our only hope to beat Hillary!" data.... but it feels like the last thing they have to grasp onto to justify defending the guy.

No, see... you put him where he is now. He's the final one standing (for the most part) because of those previous months of support and defending him. You aren't allowed to pretend those didn't happen. You can't throw up your arms and say "Well, he's what we have now... so we gotta get behind him and he can win!".... That's not how this works.

You pushed a loser. You defended a loser. Don't act like it's everyone else's fault when Clinton wins. Other candidates existed, and other candidates consistently polled closer to or higher than Clinton. Trump has consistently polled lower.

(Edit: "You" in this case referring to the remaining supporters.)

Meh. Just strike any mention of [STRIKE]Trump[/STRIKE] and insert Cruz and your post is equally true. You backed a losing horse

BugI02

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 4, 2013
    Columbus, OH
    Maybe. But I wouldn't count on it.

I think everyone who wants Trump to be president is already voting for him, and that's not even a majority of the half of Americans who are Republicans.

But 'everyone who wants Trump to be president' > 'everyone who wants Cruz to be president'. Ruh Ro

ETA: Trump 8,722,467 Cruz 6,389,500 Kasich 3,445,578 Rubio 3,178,315 Trump +2,332,967

Kasich does finally manage to pull ahead of Robio, though

Last edited:

eatsnopaste

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 23, 2008
    South Bend
    so rather than work to change your party or (in my mind) work to make a third party viable or work within the Independent party to make it less over the top, you would rather elect a buffoon? (Trump) I've voted conservative for 40 years and I just cannot bring myself to vote for Trump...just can not do it, and especially won't do it as a protest vote.

Spear Dane

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 4, 2015
    Kokomo area
    Donald v Hillary in November would, I think, turn into one of the lowest turnouts (both have SKY HIGH negatives) in a long time and would come down to how many angry white men vote and how many angry black people vote. Unless the FBI investigation ends with a total vindication of Hillary (Can that even happen at this point?) Trump will beat her over the head, neck and torso with it. This is something Sanders has not done, for some strange reason.

ArcadiaGP

Wanderer
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 15, 2009
    Indianapolis
    It's much simpler than that. Many of us are fed up, pissed off, and ready to send a clear message that "politics as usual" don't cut it anymore, Party loyalty be dammed. Trump is the available messenger. Maybe four or eight years of Hillary will finally convince someone to listen. Too many people putting themselves and their careers ahead of their country. Did you ever all stop to realize what a personal sacrifice it would actually be for Trump to serve as President? Here's a guy who can literally do whatever the hell he wants--houses, travel, cars, you name it--and all of a sudden he has to answer to the world? Maybe he hasn't figured it out yet, but it's not going to be nearly as enjoyable as his lifestyle before public service should he be elected. Hell, anyone would have to be nuts to want to be President.

The message of the Trump supporters keeps changing. It's no longer about him possibly winning and doing good (the wall, china, etc). Now it's about .... losing.... and telling people you're mad?

I remember being called a Clinton supporter when I said I didn't want Trump to win. But now it's OK if Clinton wins because "eff the establishment" or something?

I'm starting to think Trump supporters don't actually know what they want. It keeps changing... and now that he's the only one with a chance on the first ballot remaining... they don't know what to think. Like, "oh crap... I didn't mean for it to get this far."

Believe me, I'm enjoying the schadenfreude of it all... but dammit, we're all going to pay for them letting this clown get so far on the pretense of "whatever the message is this month"

T.Lex

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    15   0   0
    Mar 30, 2011
    Different systems, but it is not uncommon for parliamentary elections to result in a prime minister with about 1/3 of the overall vote. Some of the most prominent leaders in the 20th Century were elected with that kind of support.

Mentioning that because the contested convention, with locally-selected delegates basically having the autonomy to thwart the votes of a plurality of the electorate, can be viewed as a check on reckless populism. Frankly, the Colorado system seems more and more appealing to me.

Top Bottom