Why does Scroogle Scraper hate Google so much?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • matthock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    I've never heard of it. What is wrong with Google again? What are they recording that others aren't?

That's why I block them all equally, I don't trust any of them :) They've all demonstrated that they will do what is necessary to make a buck, even if it means caving on their stated moral stances, as is evidenced by several of them cooperating with China on blocking state-disallowed content and turning over information when the government asks them for it.

Run Firefox with the Adblock Plus extension with two Adblock filters - EasyList and EasyPrivacy (EP isn't one of the defaults, takes a bit more looking to find). Blocks most of the nasty tracking cookies, so that handles the fact that such a high percentage of pages run Google's tracking scripts for their traffic analysis.

matthock

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 25, 2009
    Bloomington
    Someone pass the heavy duty foil please!!! ;)

Just because you're paranoid doesn't mean they aren't out to get you ;)

fwiw, it's not like there's someone who's reading through it looking at people's browsing habits. They gather a lot of information, but it's used either in aggregate statistical analysis in which they don't care about specific people but just trends, or if it is using your stuff specifically, it's purely on automated terms to decide what ads to send you. I didn't used to care, but when Google bought Doubleclick a while back and started being able to correlate people's browsing habits with IRL names and addresses, it just kind of creeped me out, hence I started blocking them. I still use Google for searching, I just block the tracking scripts.

Indybeer

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 16, 2009
    Danville

foil.gif

mettle

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Nov 15, 2008
    central southern IN
    My thinking is: if they want my info, they need to request it in writing. I am exercising what control I can, when I learn I need to, to be as discreet and anonymous as possible. My browsing habits are my own business.

Besides, I am sure the N.S.A. has us all covered for sure.

I get equally ticked about my non-controllable credit scrore that someone ELSE can probe, add to or change without my consent. IT'S MINE! I won't get started on that.

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    I'm more frustrated with Google's political leanings. They had a strong hand in putting obama-friendly articles at the top, especially during the election. This has an influence on people doing research for candidates.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008

Trust who you want.
    But because people choose to use a control that is available to them does not mean they are taking exceptional and unrealistic steps to thwat a non-existent threat.
    Yeah, just because your paranoid does not mean they are not out to get you.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Last edited:
    Top Bottom