Why do people walk down range when others are shooting??

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    As is the use of proper etiquette in speech.

Seems I've always been able to express myself with going to the gutter and stooping to vulgarities.

You do realize that you used the improper form of speech don't you?

I just thought that was funny is all...... carry on grammarPoPo.
    *EDIT*you're fast on the edit....

BE Mike

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    18   0   0
    Jul 23, 2008
    New Albany
    It's not stupidity, it is ignorance. They just don't appreciate the danger. Many years ago, I was shooting at a public range. While I was pistol shooting, I saw movement with my peripheral vision. A man and his son were walking downrange to check their target. I called him on it. He was insulted, but walked back to the firing line. I later realized that he was a college professor who taught law at one of the local universities.

What's worse, IMHO, is that these same people tend to handle their firearms while I am down range. Now that really bugs me.

Bounty Hunter

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Mar 11, 2010
    There you are.
    Yes, he was messing with his gun while others were down range. He would start shooting the minute, everyone walked back. Very dangerous, and we did not stay long. We had been there awhile, and after the RO talked to him, we ended up leaving shortly after.
    This guy was your worst nightmare out there, unsafe in every aspect.
    There are not many people I like to shoot or hunt with, for this reason. I cringe every time I go to the range.
    Most everyone is respectful, and try to be safe, but this guy would have none of it. He was an older guy and you would think he would know better. Very impatient person, very nervous type. Easily agitated. Did not like being told to refrain from going down range, and having some courtesy.

Hookeye

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Dec 19, 2011
    armpit of the midwest
    First off, not condoning the dudes actions. I have been to the range and I remember the first time I wanted to go down range. Looked around there was no signs or any indication of how to accomplish this, so I just stood around. Luckily there was only one other person so it wasn't to long. So to answer the question is maybe they don't know the "etiquette". So maybe signs are needed laying out the actions needed to go down range would be a good idea.

Be safe, be polite.

Don't need anything more than that posted IMHO.

Last edited:
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Nov 7, 2011
    I had the opposite problem at the Kingsberry, In DNR range. That was before DNR rebuilt and now tightly control the range.
    Everyone stopped shooting to go down range.
    While most were replacing targets.
    One fellow started shooting at his target.
    When everyone ran back to the firing line.
    He proclaimed I was just shooting at my target.

dobeluvr

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    May 12, 2012
    Yes, maybe, but was your inclination to waltz down range with people firing rounds next to you?

nah man, my first thought was they are *(&&)&%**ing crazy if they think I am going to walk down there while people are shooting.

DragonGunner

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 14, 2010
    N. Central IN
    Earlier this yr. at a range it appeared no one was around...when you go down range you put up a flag.....well I got set up but before shooting, 2 guys come walking back from checking there target, they had not put there flags up before going down an their tables appeared empty, although they left there guns there, they weren't very visable. I spotted them long before I was going to shoot though. I figured since they had been there alone they had forgot. Some other guys came an when we stopped shooting the 2 guys I saw earlier put there flags up, so I take it they had forgottin when shooting alone, still WRONG on there part. A guy next to me talks to me an I shared the story about the 2 guys. He was furious an asked if I had gone down an yelled at them? I said no because after that they had been putting their flags up...he looked at me an almost demanded for me to go down an yell at them....I just looked at him...an then he said if I didn't, by golly he would....I said OK....packed up my stuff to leave, the guy went back with his buddies an never yelled at the 2 guys.....Maybe I should of wented down an said something......I just figured they had forgot an after seeing me set up were bright of enough to of thought...hey we forgot, not a good ideal even if we were the only ones here....so did I do right thing giving them a break, seeing how they always used the flags after that?

jcwit

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 12, 2009
    Dead Center on the End
    I think you did just fine, as you say, you figured that they forgot, not the thing to do but hey we're all human. At least I think so, none of us are gods that I know of.

Nothing like the range ninga being a A hole.

huntall50

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jul 7, 2009
    NW Indianapolis
    Because they are stupid, inexperienced, and has not been reminded lately that DoDo happens... but those are not the one that scare me. The idiot next to me sweeping me with his muzzle make me wonder why I ever went to a public range. I know better!

Top Bottom