• ...and so much more!
  • rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    Clover. (n) slang

1. A person that believes all laws are made for the common good, and that all laws have to be followed. Clovers generally believe that if someone does something that irritates them in some way that a law should be made to correct the problem - "There ought to be a law". A Clover will always side with the police or the government no matter what egregious evil they have committed.

Iroquois

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 7, 2011
    There was a statement on this site about why they're targeting America. Machiavelli had a
    military theory that one should always attack the strongest point in a fortification.
    First because it was unexpected and secondly because once that fell the rest was easy.
    Living in the nanny state is easy as long as they don't take away YOUR toys,
    Only the toys of others. So many have gotten hooked on nanny 's nipple that it's hard to
    let go. If we don't wean them this election they'll be in the majority and in power forever.

TopDog

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    19   0   0
    Nov 23, 2008
    Clover. (n) slang

1. A person that believes all laws are made for the common good, and that all laws have to be followed. Clovers generally believe that if someone does something that irritates them in some way that a law should be made to correct the problem - "There ought to be a law". A Clover will always side with the police or the government no matter what egregious evil they have committed.

So Clover is just another term for Liberal? I might be missing something (as I often do) but isn't this just a way to get around using the term Liberal?

rambone

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Mar 3, 2009
    'Merica
    So Clover is just another term for Liberal? I might be missing something (as I often do) but isn't this just a way to get around using the term Liberal?
    I dunno, I think these so called "clovers" are found among both conservatives and liberals. I've repeatedly seen arguments where ingo people say that every single law must be enforced, and must be followed. Conversely, there are people in both camps who think that there are a lot of bad laws that should not be enforced, and not be followed. Clover seems to be just another name for a Nanny-Stater. I'm sure I could dig up a thread or two about lawn maintenance to prove my point.

IndyDave1776

Grandmaster
    Emeritus
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jan 12, 2012
    I dunno, I think these so called "clovers" are found among both conservatives and liberals. I've repeatedly seen arguments where ingo people say that every single law must be enforced, and must be followed. Conversely, there are people in both camps who think that there are a lot of bad laws that should not be enforced, and not be followed. Clover seems to be just another name for a Nanny-Stater. I'm sure I could dig up a thread or two about lawn maintenance to prove my point.

I would agree. In liberal form they argue that government eliminates life's hazards, sees to the provision of your needs, therefore makes life safe and happy for you. In conservative form they argue that law and order makes you safe and keeps the undesirables at arm's length. The two fuse together to create a police state in which the .gov controls your activities and controls the availability and distribution of goods and services such that you live life with no more control over your own destiny than a small child or else a slave (which is more like it).

Blackhawk2001

Grandmaster
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Jun 20, 2010
    NW Indianapolis

Oh no. A "Clover" is anyone who doesn't believe that all laws are coercive and unjust in America. The implication is that most of us are too stooopid and comfortable with government restrictions to see how it's all just slavery and we should do away with all those nasty restrictions to "human liberty".

Of course, the writer and his associates disregard centuries of common law and social compacts when they do so. They also ignore the historical precedents that make our current social state a predictable result of citizens not doing their jobs in the governing process. What they DON'T do, is present a viable alternative to getting us out of this mess.

poptab

Master
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 12, 2012
    Oh no. A "Clover" is anyone who doesn't believe that all laws are coercive and unjust in America. The implication is that most of us are too stooopid and comfortable with government restrictions to see how it's all just slavery and we should do away with all those nasty restrictions to "human liberty".

Of course, the writer and his associates disregard centuries of common law and social compacts when they do so. They also ignore the historical precedents that make our current social state a predictable result of citizens not doing their jobs in the governing process. What they DON'T do, is present a viable alternative to getting us out of this mess.

Large centralized governments have killed around 150 million of their own citizens in the last century.

Actual freedom is inherently unsafe. Nobody has a perfect solution. Their is no utopia. I do not understand why people make these arguments. No one is making claims that our solution is perfect but I would rather deal with the problems of too much freedom than the problems of a large centralized government.

What has happend to our country was inevitable. The power of the president and the government has been slowly growing since the very beginning.

We traded 1 tyrant 3000 miles away for 3000 tyrants 1 mile away.

Top Bottom