Whos got a good award winning chilli recipe?

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    Crown Point - Lake County
    we started a thing at church a few years ago to have an annual chilli cook off. last year i got second. this year i would really like to win but i think i need a new recipe. so who has some good chili recipes? this is a dutch church so unfortunately no one likes it hot.

the reason i want to win so bad this year is b/c i just had a goat butchered and have some ground goat that i want to use in the chili. (i tried some. the ground just tastes like beef. its the goat steaks that have a little different flavor) anyways. i would like to announce that the winning chili was made with goat meat.

i guess even if i dont win i could tell everyone that they were eating goat. and see how grossed out they get after the fact but i would really enjoy it if i won.

Jerry D Young

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 1, 2009
    Reno, NV
    Don't know what the restrictions are, but I have a recipe that gets a lot of compliments. It might or might not be suitable for your competion.

2 pounds or just slightly more ground meat
    1 sweet onion, chopped fine
    2 ~16 ounce cans Ranch Style canned chili beans (Ranch brand name)
    2 ~16 ounce cans whole peeled or chopped peeled canned tomatoes
    Salt
    Pepper
    McCormic chili powder

Cook ground meat with chopped onion until just done, drain
    Add meat to standard crockpot and turn to low
    Puree Ranch Style canned chili beans in blender or food processor
    Add pureed beans to crockpot
    Puree canned tomatoes and add to crockpot

Season to taste. A good sprinkle of salt, a little pepper, and two to three tablespoons of chili powder for pretty mild chili.

Stir well

Cook on low for four hours. Check occasioanly and stir, adjusting seasoning if needed.

Serve with crackers and grated cheese. (and chopped onion if you like it)

Let me know if you try it with the goat. Sounds good. Goat sure does make the best BBQ there is.

joekoug

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    12   0   0
    Jun 12, 2009
    Fort Wayne
    I won a big chili competition back in Chicago last year - but my recipe will burn the face off of most people. When I'm looking for a recipe for something I don't already know how to cook I usually look for recipes by Bobby Flay or Alton Brown and throw my own twist on them.

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    i will try all the recipes i get before hand of course to see what i think.
    there are no "restrictions" or rules really. just that the so called judges are the entire church and i know for a fact that they dont like hot. there is a ribbon given out for hottest chili at the end of the night but no prize money.

Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    Don't know what the restrictions are, but I have a recipe that gets a lot of compliments. It might or might not be suitable for your competion.

2 pounds or just slightly more ground meat
    1 sweet onion, chopped fine
    2 ~16 ounce cans Ranch Style canned chili beans (Ranch brand name)
    2 ~16 ounce cans whole peeled or chopped peeled canned tomatoes
    Salt
    Pepper
    McCormic chili powder

Cook ground meat with chopped onion until just done, drain
    Add meat to standard crockpot and turn to low
    Puree Ranch Style canned chili beans in blender or food processor
    Add pureed beans to crockpot
    Puree canned tomatoes and add to crockpot

Season to taste. A good sprinkle of salt, a little pepper, and two to three tablespoons of chili powder for pretty mild chili.

Stir well

Cook on low for four hours. Check occasioanly and stir, adjusting seasoning if needed.

Serve with crackers and grated cheese. (and chopped onion if you like it)

Let me know if you try it with the goat. Sounds good. Goat sure does make the best BBQ there is.

Shouldn't you be busy writing kick a** stories and not giving out recipes? Get back to work!!!:laugh:

But seriously, pureeing the beans is a FANTASTIC idea...I've never thought about doing that before.

I'll give your recipe a try here in the near future.:yesway:

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    I won a big chili competition back in Chicago last year - but my recipe will burn the face off of most people. When I'm looking for a recipe for something I don't already know how to cook I usually look for recipes by Bobby Flay or Alton Brown and throw my own twist on them.
    well i just looked up some bobby flay recipes and think i may try a couple. i have like 10 months till the next chili cook off:D but isnt that when you start planning???

rich8483

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2009
    i guess i will post my recipe that i got second place with as some others might have interest in it

it is a mild sweet and very easy to make chili considering i got second place for it for my first year competing.

2 lbs. of ground beef
    1/2 cup onion
    4 cans tomato soup
    3 cans of pork and beans
    2 pkg. of chili seasoning
    2 tsp. cinnamon
    2 Tbsp brown sugar

Brown meat and onion: drain. Add soup, beans and seasoning mix, cinnamon and brown sugar. If you want it a little thinner, add some water but i never do. simmer until hot

451_Detonics

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    6   0   0
    Mar 28, 2010
    North Central Indiana
    I think this one might be too hot...lol...but it is my recipe and it is good...

1 1/2 pound good quality beef
    8 each new mexico chile
    4 each ancho chilies dried
    4 each pasilla chiles dried
    3 each anaheim chilies dried
    2 each chipotle peppers
    1 each hot chili peppers
    2 each garlic cloves
    2 teaspoons cumin
    1 bottle beer
    1 each green bell pepper
    1 each sweet red bell pepper
    1 each onion chopped
    4 strips bacon
    8 ounces black beans (dry weight)
    8 ounces pinto beans (dry weight)
    8 ounces navy beans (dry weight)

Directions

Soak beans overnight

Add 8 cups boiling water to New Mexico, Ancho, Pasilla, Anaheim, and Cascabel Chiles. Let soak 30 minutes. Place in blender with 1/2 of soaking water plus fresh water and beer. Add 2 cloves of garlic and blend for 3 minutes.

Strain the resulting puree into a pot.Add cumin, salt, oregano, Chipotle and habanero chiles.

Simmer.

Prepare rest of chili: Cook Bacon.Eat Bacon. Add garlic, peppers, onion to bacon fat and cook 2 minutes. Add meat, and brown. Add chili sauce.

Simmer for a few hours.

Add beans about 1 hour before serving.

Skim fat before serving.

Thin with chicken stock if it gets too thick.

Top Bottom