• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    lol its only certain knives i can't sharpen. zoub i think your karma thing is a bit off w/ knives though i do believe in karma i don't think its stopping me for sharpening knives. i would probably be game to come to martinsville to learn to hone my skills though i think coming down to martinsville i would need it to be on one of my days off. just due to time. well i think we have enough ppl that are interested once ppl all start posting what days and times they are available to do everything.

next week i am tuesday wednesday and thursday

bryhuds

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 21, 2009
    Southern Indiana
    I am newer to the forum and just saw the potential of a sharpening demo. As I live in Martinsville already, I think it sounds like a great idea. I have tried a Lansky in the past and couldn't get a knife as sharp as I wanted. ...Have debated on buying a Sharpmaker or EdgePro, but haven't decided on a system yet.

About any day or evening next week at the Conservation Club works for me. Bryan

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    I am newer to the forum and just saw the potential of a sharpening demo. As I live in Martinsville already, I think it sounds like a great idea. I have tried a Lansky in the past and couldn't get a knife as sharp as I wanted. ...Have debated on buying a Sharpmaker or EdgePro, but haven't decided on a system yet.

About any day or evening next week at the Conservation Club works for me. Bryan

first off welcome to :ingo: and its looking like tuesday may be the day to do this. has anyone got in touch with the club? and as far as what kit? wait till the demos and make a decision afterwards.

grunt soldier

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    May 20, 2009
    hamilton county
    tyler i can say i haven't i don't know much about that. someone shoot me the name and i will contact them. as far as it going down on tuesday i show it me you and the one other guy said any day next week. no one else has really responded w/ a time or day

bwframe

Loneranger
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    93   0   0
    Feb 11, 2008
    Btown Rural
    well I'll do it for one person or 100 so I'm down either way. I'll message burl.
    The timing is fine for me, but I cannot guess whether we can rent the clubhouse that quickly or at all for that matter. Techres has rented it once over a year ago, before the electronic gate system was set up. Might be that we have to go to a board meeting to ask. They meet the first Thursday of the month.

tyler34

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    2   0   0
    Dec 2, 2008
    bloomington
    The timing is fine for me, but I cannot guess whether we can rent the clubhouse that quickly or at all for that matter. Techres has rented it once over a year ago, before the electronic gate system was set up. Might be that we have to go to a board meeting to ask. They meet the first Thursday of the month.

well any other short notice venues to use? anyone in martinsville know anywhere?

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Meanwhile

Since we still haven't set a date for a workshop. Here is an example.

My wife bought this cheap cleaver and she asked me to make it sharp.

picture.php

I used two cheap stones, a small, roughly 3" x 3/4" stone and a larger 2" x 6" stone that is coarse on one side and smoother on the other.

picture.php

I started scrubbing the edge of the cleaver with the small stone, using a circular motion to re-grind the edge and change it to the narrowest angle I could manage. I would periodically try to shave my arm with it. Once it started catching on my arm hairs, I shifted to the larger stone on the coarse side and did more traditional sharpening, using long strokes, ten on each side. When I could actually shave some hairs with it, I moved to the smoother side of the stone and worked it some more until it would easily dry shave my arm. It took about half an hour.

picture.php

It is hard to see, especially with my crummy cell phone camera, but this is how sharp you can get a cheap kitchen cleaver with cheap tools that you can pick up at your local hardware store.

Eddie

Master
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Nov 28, 2009
    North of Terre Haute
    Stone in the kitchen

narrowest angle isn't always the best thing especially in a cleaver, that edge won't hold to much use under 15 degrees.:twocents:

That is why I keep a smooth stone in the kitchen. Once the edge is how I want it I can easily touch it up as needed. My wife has even picked up on the skill and touches up the knives that she makes sushi with.

Top Bottom