• View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 22, 2011
    central IN
    I was surfing and ran across this page (about the 5th paragraph down). It reminded me of having shooting ranges at most of the schools I went to; and how they have mostly disappeared. Maybe it would be a good way to see our tax dollars usefully spent, again. Sure would drive the Antis crazy.

How many of you remember some of those ranges?

indykid

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    4   0   0
    Jan 27, 2008
    Westfield
    When I went to college, it was normal to see students walking across campus with a shotgun or rifle over their shoulder.

I know that IU has a really nice range under the Student Union. Too bad it is politically incorrect to enjoy it!

CarmelHP

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 14, 2008
    Carmel
    My wife's brother has pictures of him with his .22 rifle and the rifle team at Ft. Wayne's South Side H.S. in 1990.

Ahgo

Marksman
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Dec 1, 2009
    New Haven, Indiana
    New Haven High School had a rimfire range down in the basement. The same building is now a middle school and the shooting range is now the weight room.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    I really wish my high school would have had a range :(

Outside of hunting, the only time I got to shoot and learn firearm safety as a child was in summer camp. That was so much fun, and taught me so much about basic firearm safety.

Plinker

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Dec 26, 2010
    Fort Wayne
    Concordia HS in fort wayne still runs a rimfire range in their basement.

That's where I learned to shoot! We also used to have a 'tactical' spring campout with borrowed M-16's, M-60's, etc... from the National Guard. I'm pretty sure they don't do that any longer...

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    That's where I learned to shoot! We also used to have a 'tactical' spring campout with borrowed M-16's, M-60's, etc... from the National Guard. I'm pretty sure they don't do that any longer...

That sounds like a ton of fun, and probably motivated some to join the armed forces.

Franklin Community High School had a mid year two week course, they called it intensive, where teachers would pick a topic to teach and students got to pick what "class" you took for the two weeks. One of the choices was building a muzzleloader. It was so successful, many students had to be turned down due to volume that wanted to take it. They may actually still have that, I am unsure.

edporch

Master
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    25   0   0
    Oct 19, 2010
    Indianapolis
    When I went to college, it was normal to see students walking across campus with a shotgun or rifle over their shoulder.

I know that IU has a really nice range under the Student Union. Too bad it is politically incorrect to enjoy it!

I remember taking a HPER class at IU Bloomington in the Fall of '76 (1976-77 school year) entitled S351 - Leadership Development in Shooting Sports.

It was taught by Joe Wayne.
    We used the range under the IU Union Building, and used the skeet and trap and rifle range at Sycamore Valley Gun Club. (I don't know if it's still there)

We also did some reloading too. Mostly shotgun shells, but some metallics.

Upon completing the course, you got credentials certifying you with the NRA as a Rifle, Pistol and Shotgun instructor.

I REALLY enjoyed this course.

Top Bottom