Who needs a gun, when you can have a gobbstopper.

The #1 community for Gun Owners in Indiana

Member Benefits:

• Fewer Ads!
  • Discuss all aspects of firearm ownership
  • Discuss anti-gun legislation
  • Buy, sell, and trade in the classified section
  • Chat with Local gun shops, ranges, trainers & other businesses
  • Discover free outdoor shooting areas
  • View up to date on firearm-related events
  • Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Lars

Rifleman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 6, 2008
    Cedar Creek, TX
    BBC NEWS | UK | Scotland | Edinburgh, East and Fife | Man fined for carrying gobstopper

Man fined for carrying gobstopper

A man caught carrying a large gobstopper in a sock has been fined £400 after it was found to be an offensive weapon.
    Jamie Harvey, 20, said he needed it for protection after he was attacked.
    At Edinburgh Sheriff Court he admitted carrying the snooker ball-sized gobstopper and sock at a city leisure centre on 19 December last year.
    Defence agent Matthew Nicholson said the sweet was "a substantial piece of confectionary" which could be eaten.
    The court heard how unemployed Harvey, from the Maybury area of Edinburgh, kept the gobstopper under his car seat.
    He was caught at Drumbrae Leisure Centre by police who were searching for cannabis.
    Sheriff Kenneth McIver told him that, even though it was not in the same category as a knife or axe, it was capable of inflicting a nasty injury.
    "You will be aware of the ongoing national debate on offensive weapons including knives," he told Harvey.
    "But all too often this court has to consider other improvised weapons like this."

Pami

INGO Mom
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Mar 13, 2008
    Next to Lars
    *boggle*

They really do want their crime rate to skyrocket, don't they? Pretty soon, having your hands in the shape of fist will exhibit lethal tendencies and deserve a jail sentence. :rolleyes:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Pami, you have to understand the British mentality. . . it is illegal to defend yourself with any sort of weapon, and they are willing to define pretty much anything as a weapon. So if you encounter a thug with a Gobstopper in a sock and he is swinging it at you, and you have a screwdriver in your hand and fight back, you are the one who is wrong if you injure your attacker.

I was pretty amazed by the culture over there, I've never seen so many homes with visible alarm systems and CCD camera systems over so many doorways, watching street corners, outside stores, etc. Big brother is watching and more than willing to bitch slap the honest subject (they are not citizens) who are sick and tired of thugs.

ryanmercer

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 19, 2008
    Speedway, IN
    How ridiculous...

Reminds me of those Charles Bronson movies with him and the sock full of quarters... wasn't that... the Deathwish movies?

SavageEagle

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Apr 27, 2008
    Guess we as Americans shouldn't visit there and drive a car. That too is a very big, dangerous offensive weapon. Oh damn, wait, so is a bicycle. Oh wait, so are our feet. Guess it's just best to avoid England and all costs...

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    I gave up on the UK a long time ago... they just don't seem to get it. :scratch:

Their crime rate is through the roof... they are not allowed to defend themselves... no guns, no knives, no gobstoppers in socks... yet they seem to think that they're so much safer because of it. I just don't get it... how can they be so blind to their own situation? :scratch:

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    I am friggin' speechless. :ar15:

But; it also gives me an idea for a means to defend myself if Obama gets in and takes all those nasty things we backwoods types cling to....................

Scout

Expert
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 7, 2008
    near Fort Wayne
    This from the country that fought so hard to keep the Germans out, now they can't even defend themselves.

The pro gun anti gun argument is hot between members of the US and England. the English I have found seem to think that they are better without guns, yet knife attacks and beatings are much higher than they are here.

cosermann

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Aug 15, 2008
    American sportsmen shipped lots of sporting arms to the English during WWII so they could defend the homeland. They didn't have enough guns then either.

sparkyfender

Master
    Rating - 100%
    14   0   0
    Mar 20, 2008
    Southcentral IN
    That's "bitter backwoods types"!!! :rolleyes: :lmfao:
    :cheers:

Yes, yes. I forgot.

Just like my women............... BITTER!! :thumbsup:

American sportsmen shipped lots of sporting arms to the English during WWII so they could defend the homeland. They didn't have enough guns then either.

I've read the guns on "loan" were to be returned to the U.S. after the war, but were destroyed instead...........:noway:

Last edited by a moderator:

koveras225

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 6, 2008
    Noble County
    what's the per-capita violent crime rate in England look like compared to the US?
    Alright... I survived... so here are those numbers... :coffee:

From Crime in England and Wales 06/07 (Page 54)
    There were an estimated 2,471,000 reported violent crimes committed against adults between Sep 06 and Sep 07. Using the population estimate of 60,943,912 by the CIA factbook in 2007, that calculates out to roughly 4052.8 incidents per 100,000 people.:runaway:

The latest numbers I have for the US are from 2005... 469.2 per 100,000. Even Washington DC was only 1459.0 per 100,000.

Bhriindan82

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jul 29, 2008
    West Indy
    Alright... I survived... so here are those numbers... :coffee:

From Crime in England and Wales 06/07 (Page 54)
    There were an estimated 2,471,000 reported violent crimes committed against adults between Sep 06 and Sep 07. Using the population estimate of 60,943,912 by the CIA factbook in 2007, that calculates out to roughly 4052.8 incidents per 100,000 people.:runaway:

The latest numbers I have for the US are from 2005... 469.2 per 100,000. Even Washington DC was only 1459.0 per 100,000.

Wow, that's pretty scary. I'd like to visit the UK sometime, but I think I'll skip everything but Wales & Scotland. :n00b:

melensdad

Grandmaster
    Rating - 94.7%
    18   1   0
    Apr 2, 2008
    Far West Suburban Lowellabama
    Wow, that's pretty scary. I'd like to visit the UK sometime, but I think I'll skip everything but Wales & Scotland. :n00b:

I spent the summer traveling around England, Scotland and Wales and found it to be a very friendly and very safe place to travel. No different than I find the USA.

What I observed with crime in the U.K. is the same thing I observe with crime here in the USA. Crime and violence are generally associated with geographical pockets that are typically run down areas, typically have fatherless families, with single mothers raising kids at/near poverty levels, with gang influence and rampant drug abuse.

There, just like here, stay out of the bad neighborhoods and you will be fine. Only isolated violence seems to occur outside of those areas here and in the UK. Much of that violence involves crimes of passion or random robbery gone bad.

All that said, I think the laws there are crazy and while I enjoyed my extended visit, there is no way I'd want to live there :twocents:

Top Bottom