• Total voters

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    I do not carry a BUG.

This is a risk/reward calculation on my part. The risk of carrying a firearm approaches zero as one does so safely and appropriately and within the law. The reward is slim but finite: the ability to defend oneself with deadly force should the need arise.

Unfortunately, adding a second firearm adds little to no reward but a lot of risk. The chances of needing to use my firearm are minimal; the chances of a second firearm on my person being beneficial is almost nonexistant. In fact, I've never heard of a civilian instance in the U.S. where a BUG was actually utilized in real life (perhaps someone can point to a post or news article?). HOWEVER, there is great risk in the scenario that one actually does need to use a firearm for self-defense and they are carrying two guns--not in the event itself, but in the aftermath. A jury of your peers will likely find carrying a firearm as "unnecessary and a little paranoid" but within the limits of a "reasonable person"; add an extra magazine and the prosecution begins to make remarks about your "over-preparedness to kill someone." Once you add a second firearm into the mix, the prosecutor will do everything in his power to paint you as "someone looking for a chance to kill someone" and there's a very good chance the jury will eat that up. Is this "right"? No. Is this realistic? Yes.

Thus, unless someone can show me multiple real situations where a backup gun was really utilized necessarily and effectively (or a real event where a single firearm was not effective but having a BUG would have been), I won't be taking the risk of carrying a BUG.

IndySSD

Master
    Rating - 100%
    8   0   0
    Jun 14, 2010
    Wherever I can CC le
    I'm usually a 1 on the hip, one nearby kind of person. Sometimes in the winter or in situations I'm forced into that I feel are unusually unsafe I'll use my spare G22 as a BUG so I have 2 G22's with 15 rounds each and a spare mag.

1. If someone gets the drop on me somehow and I'm forced to disarm myself, I'll have another in reserve.

2. If I somehow damage my primary, I'll have a backup.

3. If I get in a tight situation and need to separate from my wife, I can give her my backup as a last ditch defensive act. (I'm working on her getting her own permit and carry piece but it's a long slow process with her).

In the winter I have been known to carry my 1911 in a shoulder rig under my coat in addition to my G22+mag on my hip. I've also done this (or something similar) to almost every wedding/funeral/family event I've been to for the last 2 years because the 1911 was my Father In Laws and I like to keep him close at family events :D

Master
    Trainer Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    26   0   0
    Jul 9, 2011
    Hamilton County
    I'm usually a 1 on the hip, one nearby kind of person. Sometimes in the winter or in situations I'm forced into that I feel are unusually unsafe I'll use my spare G22 as a BUG so I have 2 G22's with 15 rounds each and a spare mag.

1. If someone gets the drop on me somehow and I'm forced to disarm myself, I'll have another in reserve.

2. If I somehow damage my primary, I'll have a backup.

3. If I get in a tight situation and need to separate from my wife, I can give her my backup as a last ditch defensive act. (I'm working on her getting her own permit and carry piece but it's a long slow process with her).

In the winter I have been known to carry my 1911 in a shoulder rig under my coat in addition to my G22+mag on my hip. I've also done this (or something similar) to almost every wedding/funeral/family event I've been to for the last 2 years because the 1911 was my Father In Laws and I like to keep him close at family events :D

Good ones. I especially like 3. My wife does not carry...but does know how to use a firearm. So there could be a situation where I give her my bug...and tell her to hide/run/whatever while I fight (if needed). Malfunctioning/damage is also a another good reason. Although it is unlikely and I am comfortable with my gun and how to fix anything that can be quickly fixed....there are things that could happen that there is not time to fix it.

g00n24

Expert
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Aug 14, 2009
    IN
    Well, there would be several valid reasons to carry a back-up gun. The most obvious is failure of your primary weapon. While I agree that reliability should be tested and tested again before choosing your weapon, failures do indeed happen with well tested equipment. We jumped with a reserve chute, would you go without one?

An unlikely but plausible scenario (amongst the already unlikely scenarii requiring you to employ your primary weapon) where a secondary weapon could come into play is walking into your house to find a family member already held hostage by more than one home invaders. It is likely that a primary weapon carried on the hip, concealed or unconcealed, will be taken from you. I suspect you won't even resist, if your loved one is actively being threatened at that time. It is marginally less likely that a deep concealed second gun would be suspected and taken.

Having two is better than having one, especially when there is no particular downside to carrying the BUG.

I think a more likely scenario would be your primary hand became disabled for some reason. Maybe you are fighting an attacker off with that hand, maybe you were shot or stabbed in that arm...whatever the reason, that is why when I do carry a BUG I will have it on my weak side or carry it where it is easily accessible with my weak hand.
    Of course, one way to not need a BUG in such a scenario would be to carry your primary in a place that is accessible to both hands. Appendix carry is good for that. SOB would work too but I hate that method of carry. just my :twocents:

G_Stines

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    3   0   0
    Sep 2, 2010
    Central Indiana
    Yes, more than 50% and it's usually a revolver. If I run to the store or short spur of the moment trips I sometimes leave it but usually have it. 642 air weight or 38 LCR. My primary carry is an auto. My reasons are thus:
    1. Gun malfunction. Ftf, stovepipe, mag jam, no more bullets, ect. I can drop my auto and pull my BUG faster than clearing a jam. I've tried it both ways, and found out I'm a faster draw than jam clearer, and revolvers go bang as fast as you can pull the trigger, if DA.
    2. The ability to arm another. Simple stats.
    3. Separation from my primary.

Those are my considerations in order.

Colt556

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    65   0   0
    Feb 12, 2009
    Avon
    One of my Colt's or Kimbers in an IWB holster at 4 o'clock and a NAA Mini 22 in a pocket holster. sometimes I just stick the NAA in my pocket and go but 99% of the time I have both on.

griffin

Shooter
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Sep 30, 2011
    Okemos, MI
    adding a second firearm adds a lot of risk.

Once you add a second firearm into the mix, the prosecutor will do everything in his power to paint you as "someone looking for a chance to kill someone" and there's a very good chance the jury will eat that up.

When has this ever happened? Ever, even once? In the thousands of self-defense cases, when has this ever happened?

88GT

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Mar 29, 2010
    Familyfriendlyville
    IMO, if you feel the need to have a backup gun then you are not confident enough in your skills, training, and primary weapon's reliability to begin with. I agree that you can never have too much training and there is ALWAYS room for improvement of skill, however if you take your safety seriously enough to carry a gun to begin with, then you should be reasonably confident enough in your skills to put your life on them just as much as the gun. If not, then no number of guns is going to make up a difference for lack of training/skill in a real life situation. Additionally, one shouldn't put their life on the line with a gun if they don't feel confident enough in its reliability to begin with. If they plan on its failure, then they are to some extent not confident in its reliability anyhow and should find a better weapon ASAP or train with it MUCH, MUCH more to build more confidence in that weapon.:twocents:

:rolleyes:

And just because once isn't enough, :rolleyes:

Stop it already, okay. That goes for the rest of you who think you've successfully shrinked every INGOer's head for what makes him (or her) tick. It's disgusting. And if you keep it up, I'm going to start making wild accusations about how your internet posting behaviors relate to your impotence in the bedroom.

maxmayhem

Master
    Rating - 100%
    71   0   0
    Nov 16, 2010
    Ocala, FL (for now)
    carrying two guns would be difficult but if i did i would ankle carry a revolver....or left hand pocket carry ...i hate iwb carry...in the winter i conceal carry on my waist with a jacket...backup gun is a good idea though...just cumbersome to carry two

JimmyR

Sharpshooter
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 6, 2012
    Clark County
    My BUG

I will generally only carry one gun, but if I am in an area in which I am not familiar, meeting with someone I don't know, i.e. FtF sales, then I will normally carry a BUG either on me or in the car. Normally my primary carry gun is my CZ-75BD, and I will have my S&W Iframe in the car or pocket carrying my Beretta .22 Minx. I just got a Sig p250 subcompact/compact hybrid, so it can fit in either catagory.

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    When has this ever happened? Ever, even once? In the thousands of self-defense cases, when has this ever happened?

Massad Ayoob discusses a case, in which he was an expert witness for the defense, where this exact thing happened... simply because the guy had 2 extra magazines... IN HIS CAR:

"The cops took the stand. Yes, said the arresting officer, he had been called to the scene of a crime of threatening to shoot someone without reason... found two complainants willing to testify... found the defendant who admitted having a gun just like the one the complainants had described... and determined immediately that he was guilty and placed him under arrest. Much emphasis was placed on the large caliber of the weapon. The prosecutor elicited from the officer that the hollow-point bullets, 230-grain Federal Hydra-Shok, were designed to expand and tear 'larger wounds.' And, oh my God, there were two spare magazines! Enough bullets to kill two dozen people!" The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry, pg 40 (emphasis in original)

If you don't think the prosecutor will use everything in his power to make you look like a gun-crazy lunatic just looking for a chance to kill someone, once he's decided to press charges, you're living in an imaginary world. If you think that a jury of anti-gun liberals will side with you (or it is worth the risk they won't), fine, but I don't see it as a worthwhile trade-off.

Dirtebiker

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    49   0   0
    Feb 13, 2011
    Greenwood
    Massad Ayoob discusses a case, in which he was an expert witness for the defense, where this exact thing happened... simply because the guy had 2 extra magazines... IN HIS CAR:

"The cops took the stand. Yes, said the arresting officer, he had been called to the scene of a crime of threatening to shoot someone without reason... found two complainants willing to testify... found the defendant who admitted having a gun just like the one the complainants had described... and determined immediately that he was guilty and placed him under arrest. Much emphasis was placed on the large caliber of the weapon. The prosecutor elicited from the officer that the hollow-point bullets, 230-grain Federal Hydra-Shok, were designed to expand and tear 'larger wounds.' And, oh my God, there were two spare magazines! Enough bullets to kill two dozen people!" The Gun Digest Book of Concealed Carry, pg 40 (emphasis in original)

If you don't think the prosecutor will use everything in his power to make you look like a gun-crazy lunatic just looking for a chance to kill someone, once he's decided to press charges, you're living in an imaginary world. If you think that a jury of anti-gun liberals will side with you (or it is worth the risk they won't), fine, but I don't see it as a worthwhile trade-off.

First, this doesn't sound like a self defense situation, but rather an intimidation case where the gun owner is the perp.! So, how does this have anything to do with the discussion?:dunno:
    Second, the first responder " determined immediately that he was guilty" :n00b: really? Was his name Dredd?:rolleyes:

zebov

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jan 4, 2009
    Lafayette, IN
    First, this doesn't sound like a self defense situation, but rather an intimidation case where the gun owner is the perp.! So, how does this have anything to do with the discussion?:dunno:
    Second, the first responder " determined immediately that he was guilty" :n00b: really? Was his name Dredd?:rolleyes:

You're exactly right that "this doesn't sound like a self defense situation" and that's exactly how a prosecutor will make your case sound if he decides to press charges.

You guys don't have to agree with me. That's fine. Everyone makes their own risk/reward assessments and if you find the risk worth the reward, more power to ya. I just thought you all ought to know there are other risks besides immediately during the self-defense situation that should be taken into account.

I'd still like someone to point me to a real-life story where a BUG was necessarily utilized by a civilian non-LEO so I can see if I am misthinking the reward part of my equation.

Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Jan 7, 2011
    Jeffersonville
    Yup, always!

Physically toting around another firearm is the only downside... and since I do not mind, why not?

My BUGs are generally smaller firearms anyway, so it is not too bad.

Recently my P938 has replaced my P238 for this purpose, but in winter sometimes I coat pocket carry a J-frame instead.

AlphaRHINO

Plinker
    Rating - 100%
    5   0   0
    Sep 13, 2012
    Evansville
    the only time I carry a BUG is when I am with my wife, then I would have two because she carries hers in her purse, and she could back me up :D (yes I know, not technically a backup gun)

Top Bottom