• Share photos & video with other members
  • ...and so much more!
  • Benny

Grandmaster
    Rating - 66.7%
    2   1   0
    May 20, 2008
    Drinking your milkshake
    I've heard some folks do that so they don't have to add ice and water it down, but like it to be cold when they drink it.

Personally I use about 4 ice "cubes" (the kind that come out of the icemaker) in about half an 8-oz glass worth of whiskey. I like the ice and the cold.

Cheaper whiskey I put in the freezer, but the good stuff stays in the cabinet. I prefer a cube or two of ice to open it up a bit. If it's in the freezer, the ice can't do its job.

To each his own though.

OneBadV8

Stay Picky my Friends
    Site Supporter
    Rating - 100%
    52   0   0
    Aug 7, 2008
    Ft Wayne
    I've heard some folks do that so they don't have to add ice and water it down, but like it to be cold when they drink it.

Personally I use about 4 ice "cubes" (the kind that come out of the icemaker) in about half an 8-oz glass worth of whiskey. I like the ice and the cold.

I do this as well (freezer kept).

Although, been thinking about trying some "whiskey" stones. anyone give those a whirl?

OP: You'll have to let us know when you try some how it is and if you'd buy it again.

Citronman1980

Marksman
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 17, 2010
    McCordsville, IN
    I'm a fan of Jack Daniel's (I know many here are not), and their Single Barrel stuff is corked while everything else is screw-topped. The Single Barrel has a much something-er quality to it, but I don't know if that's because it's from a single barrel or if it's due to the cork. Knob Creek has that same quality, and it's also corked.

Single Barrel is good to have from time to time. I'm more of a fan of Gentlemen Jack. I can sip it, have it on the rocks and especially with a little bit of Pepsi or Coke.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    OP: You'll have to let us know when you try some how it is and if you'd buy it again.

Yep, plan to. I need to get the stuff ordered here... keep waffling between asking the local store to get it, or just ordering it from an online distributor.

Cigar Bob

Plinker
    Emeritus
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 8, 2010
    Mishawaka, Indiana
    Beem Red Stag it is infused with Black Cherry. Great sipper just by itself or out of my flask. Killer cherry coke if you perfer. I am more of a beer snob (Mico Beers are my thing) but this stuff is great. Try a bottle you will not regret it everyone who has tasted it has fell in love.:):

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    On a related note, I have discovered that my favorite non-whiskey drink is a double of Sailor Jerry with a dash of Buttershots. Goes great with ice cream!

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    Sailor Jerry is the only rum I can stand. I've never tried Buttershots with it, but Buttershots is awesome with Crown, IMO.
    I like Captain Morgan Special Reserve too (regular Captain Morgan sucks). And I got seriously toasted on Cruzan during our last cruise. Not my fault, one of the women I was with kept ordering it and saying "I can't finish this", then handing it to me. :D

Brandon

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    11   0   0
    Jun 28, 2010
    SE Indy
    I ilke it cold and no cubes. i basikly shoot it... I do not like to pour in a glass as i may or may not get around to finishing it and would rather pour again.

I have a few other bottles (red stag, basil haydens and others that have been finished off.) they were good but not at the top of my list.

djl02

Expert
    Rating - 100%
    1   0   0
    Sep 18, 2009
    Indiana
    Woodford Reserve ,use to be called something differant. Anyone remember what it was? If memory serves me it was J.W. Dant. they changed the name and upped the price. Saw it on a PBS show about Kentucky Distilleries.

DagerOne

Plinker
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Aug 11, 2010
    Fishers, IN
    Beem Red Stag it is infused with Black Cherry. Great sipper just by itself or out of my flask. Killer cherry coke if you perfer. I am more of a beer snob (Mico Beers are my thing) but this stuff is great. Try a bottle you will not regret it everyone who has tasted it has fell in love.:):

I've had it twice and really liked it, but apparently your statement about "everyone" falling in love with it isn't quite true...both times I've asked for it after seeing it behind the bar, I was told "Yes, we have it, but once it's gone it's gone...we aren't going to keep ordering it." It was not popular enough in these two bars, at least. Small sample, I know, but still...

I turned to Maker's Mark during my six years in Louisville. It was priced just high enough to be considered "decent" but was cheap enough that I could buy it as a resident. I prefer it straight, but chilled.

jsharmon7

Grandmaster
    Rating - 100%
    119   0   0
    Nov 24, 2008
    Freedonia
    Woodford Reserve ,use to be called something differant. Anyone remember what it was? If memory serves me it was J.W. Dant. they changed the name and upped the price. Saw it on a PBS show about Kentucky Distilleries.

I took a tour at Woodford Reserve and was actually a little disappointed. They told us that since they are so small they basically "cut it" with an undisclosed whiskey from Louisville. At first the tour guide said he wasn't sure what the ratio of their stuff to other stuff was, but later in the tour he admitted that he'd heard it was around 20% whiskey made on-site vs. 80% of the undisclosed stuff. I guess as long as the final product is good quality it shouldn't really matter, but it did take away some of the mystique of taking the tour to see where it was made. The area where the distillery is located is absolutely beautiful though. I'm a huge fan of Maker's Mark though. I love the taste, and I love visiting Loretto. Make sure to get a cookie or 3 at the Gate House if you make the trip down there.

Fletch

Grandmaster
    Rating - 0%
    0   0   0
    Jun 19, 2008
    Oklahoma
    It's here! I'm working now, but come 5 o'clock I'll give it a sip.

roughstock.jpg

Top Bottom